10 replies to this topic

#1 rvec

rvec

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 02:40 PM

On Thursday, July 9, Sports Cars enter the fray of True Scale competition at Electron Raceway. There will actually be 4 classes raced that day including, GT1, Trans Am, Can Am/Gran Sport and Sports Cars. Stay tuned for a narrative and results with images to be posted in the Electron Raceway forum. Below are images of two of the Sports Cars to compete - Rich's red Ferrari 458 and Ron's yellow 458 just completed. Jack will enter his 458 and there will be other entrants as well.

458-2.JPG

P1010824.JPG
  • MSwiss likes this

Rich Vecchio

#2 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 02:50 PM

Looking forward to seeing more action.

Dennis David

curb-line2.jpg

gph_sm.jpg

#3 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,372 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 02:54 PM

Nice.

Who makes that body?

Mike Swiss

IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990)
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder
17B West Ogden AveWestmont, IL 60559, ( 708) 203-8003
mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address) 
Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516
Make checks out to Chicagoland Woodworking, Inc.

#4 rvec

rvec

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 03:02 PM

I used the Revell version, however Fujimi also makes a 458. I wrote a piece on the Electron Raceway Projects section on Slotblog regarding this build. See the link http://slotblog.net/...rari-458-build/

Rich Vecchio

#5 rvec

rvec

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 03:08 PM

Dennis,

I have done enough testing to know that these cars are fast because they are relatively wide. In testing my 458 turned laps very close to the 5 second barrier. The ultimate record at Electron Raceway is held by my Toyota GT-One powered by a Hawk 7 motor at 4.87. All other True Scale classes including Sports Car use Deathstar or ProSlot sealed 16D motors

Rich Vecchio

#6 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 03:25 PM

How about the Tamaya Porsche GT1? That's a great body in 1/32

Dennis David

curb-line2.jpg

gph_sm.jpg

#7 rvec

rvec

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 03:59 PM

How about the Tamaya Porsche GT1? That's a great body in 1/32

The Tamiya Porsche GT1 (and the Revell counterpart) are used in our GT1 class. Below are an image of Terry's GT1. They are a bit shorter than some of the other bodies in our GT1 class and the Tamiya is very hard to mount because of the flair in the body on the side near the bottom. The Porsche GT1 has not placed in the top three in any of our GT1 class races but I think it is a competitive body but maybe not the best

P1010834.JPG (not the Tamiya)

Rich Vecchio

#8 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 05:22 PM

Interesting. Those little details can make a world of difference, especially since there was no thought to make it "slot car worthy".

It's the body to have in our racing, at least at present. Wonder about the McLaren F1 GTR.

Dennis David

curb-line2.jpg

gph_sm.jpg

#9 James Wendel

James Wendel

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 05:47 PM

The Porsche GT1 body has been tried in our Roseburg, OR hardbody classes by several of our local racers...  because of it's low cost and availability.  Bob Hanna operates the local club track that is the center of slotcars in  the region.  He has large number of these bodies, acquired somewhere, for cheap.  And for $10 a pop, any of the local racers can buy one and give it a whirl.

Several have been built, by talented guys... but none have been competitive with the Ferrari Enzo that dominates the class.  And racing is what it is all about here.  :D

I am not sure exactly what it is that distinguishes between an Enzo in the GT1 class and a 458 Italia in the Sports Car class.... Rich ???

You can't always get what you want...

#10 rvec

rvec

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 06:55 PM

The Porsche GT1 body has been tried in our Roseburg, OR hardbody classes by several of our local racers...  because of it's low cost and availability.  Bob Hanna operates the local club track that is the center of slotcars in  the region.  He has large number of these bodies, acquired somewhere, for cheap.  And for $10 a pop, any of the local racers can buy one and give it a whirl.

Several have been built, by talented guys... but none have been competitive with the Ferrari Enzo that dominates the class.  And racing is what it is all about here.  :D

I am not sure exactly what it is that distinguishes between an Enzo in the GT1 class and a 458 Italia in the Sports Car class.... Rich ???

Good Question James,

First let me address the low cost of the Porsche GT1. The one shown in the above reply is not a Revell or Tamiya but some off brand (sorry I don't know the brand) and Bob does sell them very cheaply. Personally, I have two Tamiya Porsche GT1s. I have not chosen to run either because, as I said the flair at the bottom of the bodies makes the model quite hard to mount. Also, the Porsche GT1 wheelbase is shorter than most other GT1s.

Our GT1 class was set up to run Group C and GT1 cars only, however, some of these models are both expensive and hard to build, so in the interest of affordability the Enzo was allowed to run in the class. The Enzo has a wheelbase and track almost identical to other Group C and GT1 cars so, IMHO should not dominate the class (even though it has to date - mostly because nearly all competitors have at least one). My thinking is that, over time, some of the group will migrate away from the Enzo and find more competitive rides. Your Jaguar is quite competitive! (see image of recent grid below) Right now, my Toyota GT-One holds the fast lap record at Electron Raceway and I consider the body a real winner. It is very wide both front and rear (see image below). Also, Jack's Nissan R390 is a very competitive ride. Ron has just completed one (see image below) and I am also working on one. The Nissan may prove to be a better ride than the Enzo. In addition, I am building a 1/24 Jaguar XJ220. It is also very wide front and rear as well as being quite low. I hope to have it ready in the next few weeks (see image below)

Our sports car class is designed for more modern Sports Cars but in order to promote a diverse field, Enzo, La Ferrari and other ultra wide cars will not be allowed. The draft rules for all True Scale classes including Sports Car are shown in the Electron Raceway Forum - see the link http://slotblog.net/...es-draft-53015/ and cursor down for Sports Car rules. Legal bodies are clearly stated. These are not cast in stone but again - more legal bodies may be proposed but some may not be allowed.

P1010797.JPG

Enzo_Rich3.JPG

P1010790 - Copy.JPG

image3.JPG

P1010846.JPG

Rich Vecchio

#11 rvec

rvec

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 04:48 PM

Dennis,
We held a Quadrathon at Electron Raceway last Thursday, July 9. See the link http://slotblog.net/...15/#entry600788 Anyway, the Scholer based 458s did very well. The only two sports cars to break the 5 second barrier were my red 458 and James copper 458. The cars turned fast laps .001 seconds apart. James' 458 is a scrath-built, inline car that has finished first at many of our Oregon races including those held at Pelcian Park and STR. To win at either of these tracks, the car/driver combo must be quite good. Power to the Scholer 458 and James scratch 458 are ProSlot sealed 16d motors

Rich Vecchio

Electric Dreams Online Shop