7 replies to this topic

#1 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,687 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 11:18 PM

Great video illustrating the appeal of slot car racing young people in the 21st century.

Kudos to Libby teachers Jake Lemmon and Kent Meredith for making this happen. Anyone here know these guys?

Originally serving as a middle school for Spokane Public Schools, Libby Center eventually changed its mission in 1996 to become a site for a spectrum of programs to meet the specialized needs of gifted students,

• Steve Deiters, NSwanberg, Race O' Rama and 3 others like this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#2 Race O' Rama

Race O' Rama

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 02:28 AM

Wish my seventh grade shop teacher would have done this. Kudos to those teachers, don't let the hobby die, you guys are awesome.

#3 Steve Deiters

Steve Deiters

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 07:32 AM

Great video. The comments from these kids put it in a nutshell better than any of us who have posted on Slotblog and elsewhere for years as to what slot racing is all about.

Every track and hobby shop owner should have this playing on a closed loop TV in their shop so they can direct people who wander in to see it and find out what slot racing is all about.

#4 compman25

compman25

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 01:40 PM

Yes, a bunch of us in Spokane know Kent and Jake. They have a great group of kids and Kent is getting into running Retro with us now.

I've gone over on Fridays and helped in the past when Kent first got the track set up and running and the kids needed some help. It's a fun little track.

Mike Nelson

#5 Tim Wilkins

Tim Wilkins

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 03:54 PM

You mean there's actually something more challenging than playing video games all day? No way!

Good find, Greg. Schools would be a better place if this was a mandatory shop class for everyone.

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

#6 Ten shirt

Ten shirt

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 06:32 PM

Cheater, how the hell did you find this?  :)  

I hadn't seen it yet. Jake called the district PR people who were looking for stories and suggested our track. I was against it because I had already gotten some heat over a number of school rules I had broken. Evidently the naphtha was not stored correctly and rebuilding desks into drivers stations is frowned upon.

I built the track for my home, but brought it to school for a six-week exploratory class. Once the kids got going they loved it so much that I had to bring the track back. It'll never come back home now.

We now have 30 or more kids racing and they have over 20 cars.

I was asked what I was teaching and answered "nothing". The kids learning that's what's important.

• compman25 likes this
Kent Meredith

#7 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 21,687 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 07:30 PM

Kent,

Someone posted it to Facebook, Kent. I often pick up Facebook posts to bring into Slotblog, where they persist and are visible for a lot longer.

Thanks for your efforts to promote this insanely-fun hobby!

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#8 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 21,687 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 09:42 AM

And, Kent, sorry I didn't recall you were a Slotblog member nor did I think to search on your name.

Gregory Wells

Electric Dreams Online Shop