19 replies to this topic

#1 smithspeedway

smithspeedway

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 02:18 PM

I'm trying to update some rules. We allow motors like the SRP motors listed as 13D, the old JK Falcons, Slick 7 Mini Brute, etc.  Are these small can motors 13D motors?

Steve

#2 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 03:52 PM

FK-130, not familiar with the SRP Motor though

Dennis David

#3 smithspeedway

smithspeedway

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 04:34 PM

Thanks.  here is an example of the SRP motor - http://www.mrrc.com/...25-25000upm/12v

it is listed as a 13D

#4 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,272 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 05:34 PM

Steve, all these sealed motors may have cans about the size of a 13D, but I wouldn't call them 13D motor, even the SRP. Though maybe not technically correct, historically, a 13D was the smallest of the four Mabuchi can motors with  plastic endbell & replaceable brushes used in 1/32 & 1/24 scale slot cars. As Dennis said, I would refer to all these sealed motors as FK-130, but that may not be technically correct either. :) Since these motors are manufactured & perform differently, you might want your rules to specify specific motors rather than a general class of motors to be used. I know you run on a flat oval, but a good Falcon will run rings around a Plafit Cheetah.

Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#5 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 06:16 PM

The motor in the picture is an FK-130 The long cans are FK-180 and motors like the Slot.it Orange Endbell are FC-130 while what some call tooth brush motors are FF-050

Dennis David

#6 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 06:17 PM

FK motors don't really have an Endbell that you can remove. That's the FC

Dennis David

#7 hiline2

hiline2

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 07:34 AM

When I see "13D" referring to vintage motors I think of the one in the Monogram 1/32 Open wheel cars. very anemic for the day . correct ?  :shok:

Paul Bass

#8 smithspeedway

smithspeedway

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 08:51 AM

Thanks for all the input.  So... if I do want a general rule it could be FK-130 style motor not exceeding (insert rpm value)?

#9 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 11:37 AM

Is this for club or commercial track racing?

Dennis David

#10 Pappy

Pappy

Grand Champion Poster

• 14,067 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 11:43 AM

FK motors don't really have an Endbell that you can remove. That's the FC

Unless you're talking about the ProSlot 4002FK.  :D  I'm just joking around, it's not an FC or an FK.

Steve, Dennis David is exactly right in what he said about the motors.  The one in the picture is not a 13D or even close to a 13D, it is an FK motor.

We run all the motors he listed, the FK130's, FK180's, FC's and the FF-050 (great little motors for a $1.50)

Jim "Butch" Dunaway 

I don't always go the extra mile, but when I do it's because I missed my exit. 
All my life I've strived to keep from becoming a millionaire, so far I've succeeded. 
There are three kinds of people in the world, those that are good at math and those that aren't. 
No matter how big of a hammer you use, you can't pound common sense into stupid people, believe me, I've tried.

2000 Jackasses

#11 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 02:45 PM

If the rules are for a club then look at this: http://slotcarnews.b...r-list.html?m=1

Dennis David

#12 Pappy

Pappy

Grand Champion Poster

• 14,067 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 04:29 PM

The short can FC130, blue, ball bearing, 20,000 rpm Scaleauto motor pictured is the preferred motor for the Michigan 24 hour race. We run them as sidewinders in NSR, Slot It or Sidewinder chassis. Most of the time they'll go the whole 24 hours + all your practice time.

Jim "Butch" Dunaway 

All my life I've strived to keep from becoming a millionaire, so far I've succeeded. 
There are three kinds of people in the world, those that are good at math and those that aren't. 
No matter how big of a hammer you use, you can't pound common sense into stupid people, believe me, I've tried.

2000 Jackasses

#13 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 07:06 PM

Yes that seems to be a popular motor. Do you allow suspension and/or any bracing?

Dennis David

#14 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 14,272 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 07:44 PM

Thanks for all the input.  So... if I do want a general rule it could be FK-130 style motor not exceeding (insert rpm value)?

You got it correct Steve.

"Is this for club or commercial track racing? "

Dennis, Steve has run a nice club on a flat 6-lane oval for years located  on the other side of the state from me. I have to admit that my schedule has never allowed me to attend Steve's races, but a couple of my local friends (Itchy & Jungle) have been there.

Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#15 smithspeedway

smithspeedway

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 07:52 PM

Thanks!  We have a winnah!

We are not commercial, we run a 6 lane flat track powered by a wheelchair battery (safe for indoor use, 35AH).  12 foot straights, 6 foot outer diameter.  We have some restricted divisions that use 20k motors.  They are almost as fast around the track as cars powered by Falcon 7's.  The lack of banking is a great equalizer.  My son runs a truck in our relatively open division and is killing everybody with an SRP 30k motor.  Brakes and tires are really what matters here.

Steve

#16 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 08:04 PM

Go with a spec motor then

Dennis David

#17 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 11,198 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 09:02 PM

When I see "13D" referring to vintage motors I think of the one in the Monogram 1/32 Open wheel cars. very anemic for the day . correct ?

Well yes...and no.  Yes, the "13" (they're actually something like FJ13UO, definitely not "13D") was sold by Monogram and others in their little cars and they were real popular around where I lived as a kid.  The "no" part comes in because the 13 was...and still is one of the best Mabuchis for hot-rodding because the difference in performance between stock and when done up was/is astounding.  That's not even considering the cool-as-all-get-out "peanut" type motors.  For lots of reasons, I think this is one of the coolest and overlooked of all the Mabuchis.

-john

• boxerdog likes this
John Havlicek

#18 hiline2

hiline2

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 09:15 PM

John, I saw the  post on what you did for a 13D making it one lil stankin motor ! :shok:   

I had one of the Monogram 1/32 runners and a getn did  a hot rewind on it but back then the mags still werent up to strength.  :heat:

Paul Bass

#19 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 11,198 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 06:09 AM

Yeah Paul, the magnets were a joke even by Mabuchi standards, but that part is easy to remedy.  The end bell had what were the forebears of actual metal  brush hoods long before there was such a thing.  The end bell was still made out of the standard Mabuchi candlewax and had an odd spring arrangement that was pretty much the same as the modern SCX motors (which are also pretty much the same size and come with some very nice ceramic magnets too).  Many saw the potential in these compact/light motors and the later peanut motors elevated them to the status of deadly weapons.  Mabuchi had something potentially very big there.

Here's one recent one (again built around ceramic magnets) done starting with an industrial Mabuchi of the same size as the old 13UO.  No elephant ears, and it's "only" a #27 wind approximately the same as the old G20.  C motor end bell turned down to fit.  The arm should be back from balancing any time now, and it will be a screamer.

IMG_0843_zpsgwwlweil.jpg

-john

• hiline2 likes this
John Havlicek

#20 Pappy

Pappy

Grand Champion Poster

• 14,067 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 07:25 AM

Yes that seems to be a popular motor. Do you allow suspension and/or any bracing?

No bracing but suspension is allowed if it came out of the factory that way. In the Michigan 24 any all plastic chassis is allowed but everyone runs Slot It or NSR.

Jim "Butch" Dunaway 

2000 Jackasses

Electric Dreams Online Shop