• This topic is locked This topic is locked
55 replies to this topic

#1 idare2bdul

idare2bdul

Grand Champion Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,629 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 10:59 PM

It would be nice as we age and our memory becomes less than it was if we could forget what we used to be able to do, since often our bodies are no longer able to do it. When I started racing the mains were 5 minutes and you had 3 minutes to pit. Amazingly in that 3 minutes you could get that car and if necessary change a motor or a set of tires or both. Retro rules have been in place for over a decade with relatively few rule changes. 

A little fast math shows that many, if not most Retro races have gotten ten years older in the same time frame. Retro organizations might consider adding 30 seconds or even a minute for lane changes to adjust to the physical issues of some of the racers, It wouldn't lengthen the day significantly.

If you need to shorten the time that it takes to run a race you can look to other areas like:

1. Tech can open on time and if you expect a large turn out have more than one inspector.

2. Allow shorter times between races. Few people need more than 15 minutes even if they are moving up and need to change a motor and tires. 

3. Shorten up meal breaks. If you have food available at the raceway 30 minutes should be enough. You didn't get more than that when you were a school kid, ( Hopefully the raceway can help get better food than school cafeterias.)

4. Tighten up on track calls.The race director shouldn't have to ask 3 or 4 times if all the cars are back on the track. If you can yell, "Clear or Tracks Right or use a moose call to let the director know the cars are back on it really helps speed things up.

I want to thank the Triangle Retro Racing organization for some of the things they are doing to make racing work for all racers. 

• Tim Neja, JerseyJohn, The Number of and 3 others like this
The light at the end of the tunnel is almost always a train.
Mike Boemker

#2 The Number of

The Number of

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 04:47 AM

Good points all. :good:

Bill Fulmer

The lack of any credible evidence is proof the conspiracy is working!

#3 Michael Rigsby

Michael Rigsby

SRT Motorsports

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 04:52 AM

Mike,

I can totally relate to this as my physical deterioration is getting worse due to Osteoarthritis and other maladies.  My knees and ankles are shot,  I have a bad shoulder, and I just don't move the way I did even back in  2008, but I do my best. At times, I have to ask other racers to retrieve my car from certain areas because my body just will not bend anymore at the knee, and I'm grateful for they help they give, or I would not be able to race.

Most retro programs do take too long. If the track opens at 8 AM, allow open track practice till 9 AM, then start tech at 9:15. Qualifying should begin within a half hour after tech at the local level and longer for national or regional events. Three minutes on, and two and a half off should suffice, and that extra four minutes can be made up in the race day by keeping the program moving, cutting down on lunch time, and holding open track practice at local events to thirty minutes between classes.

Consider dropping qualifying time to 30 seconds.

Tightening up on track calls is a great idea.  Perhaps if a driver is constantly coming off in one area and yelling track, maybe there should be a limit on how many track calls they get (yeah I know I opened a can of worms there).  If there are enough marshals and as long as the marshal is not overwhelmed and there are no cars on the floor, it's not a track call.

It not only helps us guys who can't move, but also gets the day done quicker and lets those of us that drive a long way to get home before midnight. Your reasons given are sound, and no reason that an extra 30 seconds should not be considered especially when that time can be made up in other areas very easily.

No reason that retro race day that starts at 8 am when the track opens and doesn't end till 5 PM and there are only three classes being run.  That's way overkill.

"... a good and wholesome thing is a little harmless fun in this world; it tones a body up and keeps him human and prevents him from souring." - Mark Twain

#4 Pappy

Pappy

Grand Champion Poster

• 13,060 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 05:41 AM

Two minutes between heats is plenty. What the hell are doing to your car that takes over two minutes? I usually walk over, put a lane sticker and some braid juice on it, set it in my next lane and go back to the drivers station. That's all the break is for. You're not suppose to have time to rebuild your car between heats. When you hold up a race to let everyone fix their car all you do is guarantee the fastest guy is going to win. In endurance races you are not allowed to work on your car between lane changes even if you started working on it before the lane change. You must stop working on it and wait until the power comes back on.

Track calls are suppose to be for a rider, inaccessible car or a problem with the track. All eight cars can be off in one turn and as long as there is a track marshal working on it it's not a track call. If you get a bad break "that's racing", suck it up.

• Mike K, DOCinCocoa and raisin27 like this

Jim "Danger" Dunaway aka Butch

Danger is my middle name, that's why I race slot cars.

Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

"In the beginning of a change, the PATRIOT is a scarce man, and brave and hated
and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it cost
nothing to be a PATRIOT." - Mark Twain, 1904

#5 Don Weaver

Don Weaver

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 06:04 AM

Amen, Butch.....

Don

Don Weaver
The supply of government exceeds demand.
L.H. Lapham

If the brain-eating amoeba invades Washington
it will starve to death...

How do you spell "leverage"?

........R-A-N-S-O-M

#6 John Streisguth

John Streisguth

Johnny VW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,616 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 06:06 AM

3 classes and done by 5pm? That only happens at the summer races up here, and we run 2 classes. That's entirely due to the number entries as we move things along, no BS.

If a car is constantly coming off at the same spot, if there is not a problem with the track then that driver needs to take his/her car off and fix it.  I think most rule books have something to say about situations like that. And definitely marshals should not work on a car beyond the 2 seconds it may take to straighten braid.  Unless you have 30+ entries to run through, adding another 30 seconds between heats shouldn't be a big deal as long as everyone is OK with it.  Or, if a few people have physical issues, maybe others could give them a hand??

• JerseyJohn and Tater like this
"Whatever..."

#7 tonyp

tonyp

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 13,363 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 07:07 AM

I would never be able to race with out Doc helping me out at the track. Thank you Doc..

• JerseyJohn and DOCinCocoa like this

"And if my thought-dreams could be seen they'd probably put my head in a guillotine. But it's alright, Ma, it's life, and life only." - Dylan

1965 "Evil Bucks Racer" Team
Revtech Team Trinity
Noose Painted Bodies
Retro East co-founder
American King track single lap world record holder & 40 minute total lap record
First IM Nationals Champion
Arco Champion
Car Model Magazine Series Amateur Champion
2016 ORS Anglewinder Constructors Championsh
ip

#8 Noose

Noose

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 20,746 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 07:17 AM

Butch, it's the walking part for some. Plus all those wide butts trying to get into one tight spot.  LOL We have plenty of guys that help others pit. 

• Tim Neja and JerseyJohn like this

Joe "Noose" Neumeister
Sometimes known as a serial despoiler of the clear purity of virgin Lexan bodies. Lexan is my canvas!
Noose Custom Painting - Since 1967
Chairman - IRRA® Body Committee - Roving IRRA® Tech Dude - "EVIL BUCKS Painter"

"Team Evil Bucks" Racer - 2016 Caribbean Retro Overall Champion
The only thing bad about Retro is admitting that you remember doing it originally.

#9 Half Fast

Half Fast

Keeper Of Odd Knowledge

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 08:52 AM

Good points all. At Retro East we do have a number of guys with "age related infirmities". I don't know what the answer is but here is a proposed slogan:

Retro Racing: It ain't just the cars!  :)

Cheers

Bill Botjer

Faster then, wiser now

#10 Pappy

Pappy

Grand Champion Poster

• 13,060 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 09:02 AM

Plus all those wide butts trying to get into one tight spot.  LOL 

A wide butt and a big belly are an advantage. We can move all you skinny butt's and flat bellies out of our way.  :D  :laugh2:

• garyvmachines likes this

#11 Michael Rigsby

Michael Rigsby

SRT Motorsports

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 09:31 AM

I know some guys have no problem with two minutes, but sometimes I do on kings or a large hill climb track. A lot of us older guys don't make it around like we once did, and we appreciate any help we receive. I would like to race and build for a few more years, and face it, it is rare to see a young person running retro cars.

I think some minor change could be made on local levels. Four minutes added to a race is not much.
"... a good and wholesome thing is a little harmless fun in this world; it tones a body up and keeps him human and prevents him from souring." - Mark Twain

#12 Pappy

Pappy

Grand Champion Poster

• 13,060 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 10:07 AM

Michael,

I've been racing in a flexi car race on Thursday nights at a local track. They have three minutes between heats and guess what, they still have guys who are not ready when the power comes on and they hold up the race. If you gave them five minutes between heats some of them still wouldn't be ready to go, it's human nature. 

I still say you don't need anymore than two minutes to hook your controller up to the next lane, move your car, add some braid juice and a lane sticker. Now if you want to study the lap counter, bull crap or cool your motor down then "yes" you do need more than two minutes. I really hate the three minutes between lanes when I'm turn marshaling, it seems like it takes forever to finish a race. I'm 64 years old, eighty pounds overweight and I still get ready to go in plenty of time because I don't screw around.

#13 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • 12,739 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 10:22 AM

This is about the "Human Race".

Driver - 80 lbs. overweight

Car - .05 Grams overweight

Driver - 1.5 minutes to get around the track

Car - 3.9 seconds to get around the track

Driver - Senior citizen (a.k.a Geezer)

Car- State of the art, 2 weeks old

Driver - eats stale bread

Car - tires fresh out of the .....

• Tim Neja likes this
Bob Israelite

#14 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • 12,739 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 10:24 AM

I would never be able to race with out Doc helping me out at the track. Thank you Doc..

Thanks for helping Tony, Doc.

"Doc, you pit my car and I'll let you finish ahead of me but you still have to go get me a 'slice and a Coke' to keep your 'geek' status... "

Bob Israelite

#15 John C Martin

John C Martin

J.C Martin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 10:30 AM

I give up on going back to my box at lane change..way to stressful ,,lol.
I got a portable fan with bottle holders, I stick cut pieces a tape for repairs to it..plus extra braid & pins..tire & gear wrench is in my pocket .this weekend I'll wear my little apron that has pockets..and I'll be first back at the panel to relax for sure ..try it you'll be sold..
Besides oiling is over rated, they don't need oiling every 3 min. This is not done when we practice for much more than 3 min...over oiling and dope on the braids slings onto the track and guess who runs through it the next Lap (you).. I don't oil or dope at all if my car is entering or in a turn for that reason...
I think in general this is just a nervous habit to run back to your box and put all this stuff on.
I Simply oil in the middle heats , and flip the braid...
and check for excessive heat in the motor if cooling is needed I cool it , and check gear mesh..
  • Pappy, Tim Neja and TG Racing like this

#16 John Streisguth

John Streisguth

Johnny VW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,616 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 11:27 AM

If it's a case where everyone is running back to their box, that's overkill for retro cars, and unecessary.  At our annual 6 hour enduro most of the cars "may" get oiled at the lane change, every 45 minutes.  They don;t neeed to make a pit stop every 3 minutes unless they are wrecked.

• John C Martin likes this
"Whatever..."

#17 Pappy

Pappy

Grand Champion Poster

• 13,060 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 12:36 PM

We ran a two hour enduro with FCR's in Indianapolis one time and didn't oil it for the whole two hours. We won the race by 1 lap because everyone else stopped to oil their cars and put braid juice on 3 or 4 times. We had the slowest car on the track but not stopping and not tearing the car up made the difference.

#18 Dante

Dante

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 02:17 PM

I’m tied to a wheelchair and the controller has a 10 feet extension to allow me to stay put.

I wife helps me; she chances the controller to the proper color and then changes the sticker, braid juice and anything else. Then she goes to corner Marshall (the whole race).

I need the 2 minutes between heats, actually my wife does!!!

She’s quite a girl!!!!

• MSwiss, Steve Deiters, Tom Thumb Hobbies and 5 others like this
Dante Cantalini

#19 William Eugene

William Eugene

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 02:59 PM

Two minutes between heats is plenty. What the hell are doing to your car that takes over two minutes? I usually walk over, put a lane sticker and some braid juice on it, set it in my next lane and go back to the drivers station. That's all the break is for. You're not suppose to have time to rebuild your car between heats. When you hold up a race to let everyone fix their car all you do is guarantee the fastest guy is going to win. In endurance races you are not allowed to work on your car between lane changes even if you started working on it before the lane change. You must stop working on it and wait until the power comes back on.

Track calls are suppose to be for a rider, inaccessible car or a problem with the track. All eight cars can be off in one turn and as long as there is a track marshal working on it it's not a track call. If you get a bad break "that's racing", suck it up.

So, are you saying, if a marshal is overwhelmed with cars off in front of him , you should just let the power stay on, and let cars blast into them ?  As a race director, your job should be to protect the equipment as well, and unless you just love to see scratchbuilt cars blasted into oblivion, then I believe that as a race director you are not doing your job..   Just my opinion, but I think there is a reason you are a RACE DIRECTOR , not just a guy with a power on/off switch

Also, if this is supposed to be racing amongst friends, waiting for someone to tighten a loose gear or wheel does not take much time and shows courtesy or manners.... If you can not beat someone straight up, then do you feel really great winning because a guy lost a wheel ?   This is on a regular race, because I understand that at a big event, more people will kill each other for one podium position, I am just talking a regular monthly race.

Showing a little courtesy might actually encourage more people to race .  Who knows,

• Half Fast and Tim Neja like this
Never give a sucker an even break!

#20 Eddie Fleming

Eddie Fleming

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 04:16 PM

Actually it does not hurt my feelings a bit to beat someone because he lost a wheel.

Part of racing is building and prepping the car to run the race, and taking care of it (driving) in the race.

Sure in a local race a little slack to fix this or that is all good but don't loose sight of the fact it is a race.

I ran in a race last week where we stopped to let a guy put the motor back in his car twice or was it three times.

• Tom Thumb Hobbies and raisin27 like this
Eddie Fleming

#21 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• 5,382 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 04:32 PM

Seems really easy to add a little time for change over for slower people.  It's supposed to be FUN, not serious as a heart attack!! :)

• Samiam likes this
She's real fine, my 409!!!

#22 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • 12,739 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 04:41 PM

I’m tied to a wheelchair and the controller has a 10 feet extension to allow me to stay put.

I wife helps me; .....

She’s quite a girl!!!!

Sad to here of the handicap but wonderful to hear about a wife that cares so much.

Luckily I have 'one of those' ... or I wouldn't be typing this message.

She is quite a girl too.

I pray you walk again Dante. ....and then get a controller with short lead wires.

Bob Israelite

#23 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • 12,739 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 04:42 PM

Actually it does not hurt my feelings a bit to beat someone because he lost a wheel.

Part of racing is building and prepping the car to run the race, and taking care of it (driving) in the race.

Sure in a local race a little slack to fix this or that is all good but don't loose sight of the fact it is a race.

I ran in a race last week where we stopped to let a guy put the motor back in his car twice or was it three times.

Hey Eddie .... did you happen to see where my wheel went.... :dash2:  :laugh2:  

Bob Israelite

#24 raisin27

raisin27

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 05:24 PM

Yes, if all 8 cars are off in the same corner it is not a track call. Track calls are unmarshalable cars or riders. A car on the floor is not an unmarshallable car unless it is out of reach. The biggest difference in racing I have noticed since returning from a 25 year hiatus is that now everything seems to be a track call. It is so frustrating when there is no penalty for deslotting and not fair at all to the racer who drives within his limits and stays in the slot.

• Pappy, MSwiss, Lenny Broke and 9 others like this

Michael Garrett

Proud to drive an American car, from an American manufacturer, assembled by American workers.

I own a car from each of the big 3, I have a Ford, a Mercury, and a Lincoln.

#25 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • 12,739 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 05:42 PM

Can this topic turn into an argument ?

Bob Israelite

#26 Eddie Fleming

Eddie Fleming

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 05:53 PM

Hey Eddie .... did you happen to see where my wheel went.... :dash2:  :laugh2:  

Yea Bob I put it in my pocket so you could not get restarted.  :laugh2:

We have a local wheelchair racer and everyone helps him out with lane changes controller moves and whatever. We are all getting older so a little extra time between lanes is not a bad thing.  We are not as swift as we once were when corner working ether, so while I do not like unnecessary track calls I can sometimes appreciate a break when I have most of the cars off in my corner.

I am sure many of you have raced RC. When the clock starts it stops for nothing!

Eddie Fleming

#27 Tom Thumb Hobbies

Tom Thumb Hobbies

Posting Leader

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 05:55 PM

If I could I would "like" Raisins comment more than just once. Track calls need to be kept to a minimum so as not to penalize the drivers still in the slot. I have been one of the cars in a huge furball of cars that seemed to take forever to be put back in the slot. It is painful. But that's no reason to punish those still running.
  • Pappy, MSwiss, Tim Neja and 1 other like this

Mike McMasters
TTlogo300.jpg
460 Wilson Rd
Columbus, OH 43204
(614) 274-5150
Home of the ORIGINAL American blue King

#28 William Eugene

William Eugene

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 06:42 PM

Raisin, I hope that your car then is the one on the floor that then gets stepped on , rather than stopping the action to let the marshal cope with the problem...  I have seen it happen that if the Race Director had not shouted and stopped the action, someone's car might have gotten completely destroyed because of being stepped on or run over by a chair on wheels.  

And, also take into account, I have seen it many times that a car that has stopped for the wreck waiting for it to clear, and then the marshal inadvertently picks the car up to shuffle him to the end of the put on line.   Or, when you are clear and the marshal puts his hand down on the track to reach an inside lane and hits your completely in the slot car, only to total it or knock it out of the slot.   Never saw a marshal repair anyone's car that he has now destroyed......

I would rather race with a race director and marshals that look out for the equipment over a brief blip in the race.   If you can not spend the time at the track, maybe consider a different hobby.....Just my opinion 

• Half Fast likes this

#29 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,812 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 07:47 PM

Can this topic turn into an argument ?

Already has.

Sam Levitch

When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything is a nail.
Support your local raceway, or you won't have one.
Slot cars are quad-pods.
Support your "Local Racer."
:laugh2:

#30 Pappy

Pappy

Grand Champion Poster

• 13,060 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 07:58 PM

What we need to do is just give everyone a trophy for showing up and not even keep track of the laps. That way we are all winners. 

#31 idare2bdul

idare2bdul

Grand Champion Poster

• 5,629 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 08:33 PM

Ok Butch remember handicaped is club anybody can join at any time. It isn't like I asked for an unfair advantage. Your response is called a straw man argument where you change from what is being discussed to something else.

The light at the end of the tunnel is almost always a train.
Mike Boemker

#32 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 17,425 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 08:36 PM

What happens when there is liberal track calls, racers just drive 11/10's, because there isn't enough downside (to driving recklessly).

The floor, in a reasonably accessible spot is not a track call.

But I do believe, marshals shouldn't have to dive under pit tables, etc.

IOW, risk injury.

As far as lengthening heats, I think one is better leaving it alone and letting the race director pause the intermission if it's a case of someone can only move so fast, and doesn't have someone to pit his car.

It seems silly to lengthen the intermission if there is 8 able body racers in the race.
  • Pappy, Paul5097 and Eddie Fleming like this

Mike Swiss

IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990)
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder (pointless era - LOL) 
17B West Ogden AveWestmont, IL 60559, ( 708) 203-8003
mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address) 
Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516
Make checks out to Chicagoland Woodworking, Inc.

#33 Pappy

Pappy

Grand Champion Poster

• 13,060 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 09:06 PM

Ok Butch remember handicaped is club anybody can join at any time. It isn't like I asked for an unfair advantage. Your response is called a straw man argument where you change from what is being discussed to something else.

Mike, I don't know that I did change the subject to something else. I stated that I think two minutes is plenty of time and why I think it is plenty of time.

My facetious comment about giving everyone a trophy for just showing up was not directed at you, that's what parents do now-a-days so little Johnny's feelings don't get hurt. But that's not the real world and that's not racing.

#34 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • 12,739 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 12:51 AM

Crash and burn'em - that'll learn'em  :o

I thought this was headed for a 'heated debate' on how much time and effort can be saved by not oiling 'too much' ... especially the darn endbell side. :dash2:

Hey .... does oil on the brushes cause the dreaded FK surge?  :shok:  :bomb:

The more time you get between heats, the more oil you use, bad for the environment. ^_^   :laugh2:  

Bob Israelite

#35 NSwanberg

NSwanberg

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 01:17 AM

Given our general increase in age and girth 2.5 minutes between lane changes seems reasonable.

I don't see a need to return to your box to pit a retro car but then I have learned to carry a well equipped small pit box to take care of most problems I might encounter with the car. Other than that it is just move the control, change the sticker and clean the braid.

In friendly weekly racing, where we are trying to encourage racers to join and keep racing, one of the worst things that can happen is for a car to be destroyed by an excited, relatively inexperienced marshal stepping on a car. I think the primary reason for a track call in such racing is to protect the cars. I know a car on the floor can usually be marshaled but why take a chance? Save the strict marshaling guidelines for the major races. We do not have racers lined up outside the doors and down the street waiting to race. A few negative experiences and they don't come back. 

Stopping the timer to fix a car or during the race or lane change, I think we need a little common sense guidelines and these things end up being hard to be consistent with because of the subjectiveness. My feeling is that if you need a soldering iron to fix it we don't wait. If you break a lead wire or clip we race. A lose crown or spur you get to tighten it. If you tear a body pin mount just tape the body to the pan and race until the lane change.

Some places give the racers one 3 minute mechanical timeout. Of course we all know the difficulty is remaining consistent and you will always get the "You waited for him" whine but such is slot car racing.

Some of the most fun racing for me has been what we call marshal your own and the timer never stops. The race is always completed on time but the younger guys have quite an advantage as they can scoot around the track faster. Keep it in the slot and you never  have to marshal your own car.

• Half Fast and Tim Neja like this
Remember the Steube bar!
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL RACEWAY!!
"The denial of denial is the first sign of denial." Hank, from Corner Gas
Nelson Swanberg

Peace be with all of us and good racing for the rest of us.
Have controller. Will travel. Slot Car Heaven
Posted Image

#36 Michael Rigsby

Michael Rigsby

SRT Motorsports

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 05:03 AM

I am sorry that this topic turned into a mess. I was merely pointing out that some of us don't get around like we used to.  Sometimes two minutes to walk to the other side of a large track to retrieve my car, change a lane sticker, add some braid juice, then get it back on the track and get my but back to the driver station is a chore. That's all I do between lane changes.  I don't run back to my box or anything else.

I am happy that some of you guys are able to get around more quickly as you got older, but to some of us life as not been as kind, but we still like to race and build, and I don't mind putting my builds into the hands of younger drivers to see what they actually will do.

Race on and have fun, and again, I apologize for being in anybody's way.

• Tim Neja likes this

#37 PCH Parts Express

PCH Parts Express

Posting Leader

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 10:39 AM

If reducing the hour and half lunch break by half, and also adding 30 seconds to the lane change makes the race go a bit smoother for folks that maybe have bad knees or are "slower than they used to be" getting around the human traffic jam that appears at one or more pinch points, then why not?

Some folks won't tell you they have pain issues, or they get tired sooner in the day then they did five or ten years ago.

Being kind to our elders is the right thing to do.     

• Tim Neja likes this
Scott Salzberg
PCH Parts Express

#38 Half Fast

Half Fast

Keeper Of Odd Knowledge

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 11:02 AM

Marshaling cars on the floor is not so easy for people with bad backs or knees.

I find the macho men who shout the floor or a multiple car pile up is not a track call, are the biggest whiners when their car falls off or crashes. Get over yourselves.

Cheers

• Tim Neja likes this

Bill Botjer

Faster then, wiser now

#39 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 17,425 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 11:08 AM

Bill,
No need for name calling at racers who disagree with your opinion.

• raisin27 likes this

Mike Swiss

IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990)
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder (pointless era - LOL) 
17B West Ogden AveWestmont, IL 60559, ( 708) 203-8003
mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address) 
Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516
Make checks out to Chicagoland Woodworking, Inc.

#40 Half Fast

Half Fast

Keeper Of Odd Knowledge

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 11:56 AM

Mike-

It wasn't meant as name calling to anyone here, I was merely recounting personal experience.

Cheers

• Tim Neja likes this

Bill Botjer

Faster then, wiser now

#41 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • 12,739 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 12:07 PM

Why is this thread in 'retro'? Doesn't getting old apply in other classes too?

Raise your hand if you ..... use your Hoffman box as a Soap Box. :victory:

Bob Israelite

#42 DOCinCocoa

DOCinCocoa

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 12:18 PM

In reference to post #7: Tony, you are very welcome. It is my pleasure to help you out. (However, could you please keep the car in the slot!) just funning with you.

Doc Dougherty
GRRR 2016 GT Coupe and Stock Car Champion and Overall Champion
My Series Spring 2016 4" NASCAR, JK LMP State Champion, and Endurance State Champion
My Series 2015 4" NASCAR, GTP and Endurance State Champion
​GRRR 2015 4 1/2" and F1 Champion
​GRRR 2013 & 2014 Evil Flexi Champion
1968 Cleveland Car Model Series race winner - Tom Thumb Raceway, North Royalton, Ohio
​1968 Hinsdale ARCO Amateur runner-up
1967 Parma Raceway Indy 500 Champion

#43 DOCinCocoa

DOCinCocoa

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 12:29 PM

Track calls: I think its fine for weekly races that you stop the race if someone is having a problem with their car. And have more track calls. However, for the bigger monthly races (here in Florida that would be the MySeries events and GRRR) I think that we need to have less track calls. At the present time I think we have too many track calls. makes for a much longer day. If there is a track call, the turn marshal should not spend time to fix the car, other than straighten out the braid. If there are other issues with the car, the driver needs to get the car and fix it while the heat continues. Its just part of racing. Its happened to me plenty of times.

I like the way things are done at Holly Hill. The special nature of the track requires Phil to hold up the start of the next heat sometimes because its difficult to get your car out of the infield or from the far side of the track.

• MSwiss and Tim Neja like this
Doc Dougherty
GRRR 2016 GT Coupe and Stock Car Champion and Overall Champion
My Series Spring 2016 4" NASCAR, JK LMP State Champion, and Endurance State Champion
My Series 2015 4" NASCAR, GTP and Endurance State Champion
​GRRR 2015 4 1/2" and F1 Champion
​GRRR 2013 & 2014 Evil Flexi Champion
1968 Cleveland Car Model Series race winner - Tom Thumb Raceway, North Royalton, Ohio
​1968 Hinsdale ARCO Amateur runner-up
1967 Parma Raceway Indy 500 Champion

#44 tonyp

tonyp

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 13,363 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 12:48 PM

Ditto

"And if my thought-dreams could be seen they'd probably put my head in a guillotine. But it's alright, Ma, it's life, and life only." - Dylan

1965 "Evil Bucks Racer" Team
Revtech Team Trinity
Noose Painted Bodies
Retro East co-founder
American King track single lap world record holder & 40 minute total lap record
First IM Nationals Champion
Arco Champion
Car Model Magazine Series Amateur Champion
2016 ORS Anglewinder Constructors Championsh
ip

#45 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,812 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 01:03 PM

Why is this thread in 'retro'? Doesn't getting old apply in other classes too?

Raise your hand if you ..... use your Hoffman box as a Soap Box. :victory:

Sounds like some of these guys may need specially reinforced Hoffmans. :D

And a step stool to get up on it. :laugh2:

I know I always look for a corner to marshal that I can do standing up. Knees just don't work like they used to.

Why is it in a Retro thread?....I'm guessing that is what Michael races.

• Tim Neja and JerseyJohn like this
Sam Levitch

When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything is a nail.
Support your local raceway, or you won't have one.
Slot cars are quad-pods.
Support your "Local Racer."
:laugh2:

#46 Phil Hackett

Phil Hackett

Posting Leader

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 10:47 PM

A wide butt and a big belly are an advantage. We can move all you skinny butt's and flat bellies out of our way.  :D  :laugh2:

Skinny-butted people have sharp elbows….

Click HERE to contact Sonic Products. The messenger feature on my Slotblog account has been disabled.

Posted Image

#47 Phil Hackett

Phil Hackett

Posting Leader

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 10:48 PM

Crash and burn'em - that'll learn'em  :o

I thought this was headed for a 'heated debate' on how much time and effort can be saved by not oiling 'too much' ... especially the darn endbell side. :dash2:

Hey .... does oil on the brushes cause the dreaded FK surge?  :shok:  :bomb:

The more time you get between heats, the more oil you use, bad for the environment. ^_^   :laugh2:  

ohhhhh…. where do I sign-up?

• fohoover likes this
Click HERE to contact Sonic Products. The messenger feature on my Slotblog account has been disabled.

Posted Image

#48 eAddict

eAddict

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 09:44 AM

Yes, if all 8 cars are off in the same corner it is not a track call. Track calls are unmarshalable cars or riders. A car on the floor is not an unmarshallable car unless it is out of reach. The biggest difference in racing I have noticed since returning from a 25 year hiatus is that now everything seems to be a track call. It is so frustrating when there is no penalty for deslotting and not fair at all to the racer who drives within his limits and stays in the slot.

if my car gets damaged because a 6 car wreck wasn't cleared or a track call wasn't made I probably will not be a happy camper.  I'll just put my controller across all the lanes while I go fix my car I guess.  We track call when there are more cars than arms, car on the floor, rider, car out of reach.  We have minimum track calls but we make them to save the equipment.  

• William Eugene likes this

#49 Tom Thumb Hobbies

Tom Thumb Hobbies

Posting Leader

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 10:30 AM

Why would you drive into a six car wreck?? Defensive diving will not only save your car but won't penalize everyone who didn't de-slot with an unneeded track call. Track calls are sometimes a necessary evil but not every time there is a crash. Most love track calls when their slammed against the wall but complain when their opponent gets one when he is out of the slot.

BTW....putting your controller across all the lanes is a very classy move. Very sportsman like.
  • Tim Neja likes this

Mike McMasters
TTlogo300.jpg
460 Wilson Rd
Columbus, OH 43204
(614) 274-5150
Home of the ORIGINAL American blue King

#50 William Eugene

William Eugene

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 12:11 PM

if my car gets damaged because a 6 car wreck wasn't cleared or a track call wasn't made I probably will not be a happy camper.  I'll just put my controller across all the lanes while I go fix my car I guess.  We track call when there are more cars than arms, car on the floor, rider, car out of reach.  We have minimum track calls but we make them to save the equipment.  

I agree with Vince, aren't we in the end supposed to be about sportsmanship and friendship, that is the reason Retro Racing became popular again.   If you have a few extra track calls, who cares?  If you want or need to win that badly, take up drag racing...No track calls there, and you can beat someone.   Many have lost sight of the reasons for racing, not simply for the competition, but to have a good time with friends and enjoying the friendly competition.  Screaming at turn marshals, who many times are older guys not in the best shape physically, cursing the race director, in the end, what does that get you, Satisfaction ???   Take a step back and look at why you are racing....Just my opinion, but I have seen too many people that when the green flag drops , they become complete A Holes

• eAddict likes this

Electric Dreams Online Shop