#1 rvec

rvec

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 04:18 PM

Humpty Dumpty
My Jaguar XJ220 made its disastrous racing debut on 8/13/15 at Electron Raceway. An image of the wrecked machine is shown below. Lessons learned:
  • The thin plastic front end must be reinforced to prevent or at least mitigate damage
  • The XJ220 is a competitive ride even with a well-worn Falcon 7 motor.
  • The Hawk 7 motor has proven to be about .1 seconds per lap quicker than its Falcon counterpart. If this proves to be true on the XJ220, it may well be capable of breaking the current fast lap record of 4.888 seconds.
  • A controller wiper issue may have contributed to erratic performance. Ill be sure to check this prior to any race.
XJ220Wrecked.jpg

Repairs were made with Devcon Plastic Welder. This is a great product and I find that the repair is stronger than the original. Below are a couple of images of the repair. I know it is not perfect but it sure passes the 10 foot rule.

XJ220Fixed.jpg

XJ220Fixed2.jpg

The Jaguar XJ220 runs on our GT1 class which features 1/24 GT1 and Group C bodies mounted on Scholer of Plafit chassis and powered by either Falcon 7 or Hawk 7 motors. The field for the race included my XJ220, a Jaguar XJR12, two Ferrari Enzos, a Toyota GT-One and a Porsche GT1. These cars are quite competitive and closely matched (see details of the results below). Note that four out of six cars including my XJ220 turned fast laps under the magic five second barrier. Rons Toyota GT-One was not far behind at 5.087 seconds. Terrys Porsche GT1 is quite capable, however, he is relatively new to slot racing and not at all experienced at Electron Raceway. An image of the grid is shown below. A couple of notes are in order. First, we allow the Enzo to run in this class because it is cheap, readily available and has the same wheelbase and track as other GT1 cars. Second, my XJ220 is conspicuously absent; instead my black/orange Enzo is pictured. More on this later.

GT1_Finish.jpg

GT1_Grid.jpg

GT1_Grid2.jpg

Some time ago, I wrote a piece on my XJ220 build. (See the link http://slotblog.net/...ar-xj220-build/ ). What follows is a very prescient quote from that article. Six distinct pieces make up the models body. Even so, the completed body is relatively light because it is formed from thin plastic. I fear that durability may be a problem but plastic welder can fix almost anything. (bolding added for emphasis).

Unfortunately, the race was marred by a serious wreck. Rons Toyota GT-One de-slotted in the pit straight coming to a halt in Richs lane. Rich did not see the wreck and plowed full throttle into the back of the GT-One. The GT-One sustained minor damage, however, the wreck took a bite out of the front of the fragile XJ220 (Rich ran the balance of the race with his black/orange Enzo). It may take some time to put humpty dumpty together again. To read more about the race see the link http://slotblog.net/...-raceway-81315/

Stay tuned. I will test results after a Hawk 7 motor is installed.
  • Tex likes this

Rich Vecchio

#2 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,647 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 04:55 PM

I salute you, Sir. :good: 

To build a nice car and show it, is easy.

Race testing it, finding faults, and dealing with it's challenges in front of a worldwide live audience is very admirable.  :) 

• James Wendel likes this
Paul Wolcott

#3 n9949y

n9949y

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 11:11 AM

Heard at Pelican Park, racing is a "Systematic destruction of our works of art.”

Todd Messinger

Remember folks, traffic lights timed for 35 MPH, are also timed for 70!

#4 rvec

rvec

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 11:24 AM

Heard at Pelican Park, racing is a "Systematic destruction of our works of art.”

Very Good Todd! I try not to get emotionally attached to any given build. I understand it is just one wreck away from being a worthless pile of plastic. Even so, it does take time and effort to produce a good looking build and there is a note of sadness when plastic flies. Thank heaven for Plastic Welder!

Rich Vecchio

#5 James Wendel

James Wendel

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 01:11 PM

Hey, Rich - Good to see that you have the Jag put back together.  We missed you Monday night at Bob's race.

Funny that you should start a thread on broken bodies just now, because last night:

broken Econo 008.JPG

I didn't build the old GTO, but I have raced it so many times that I feel rather attached just the same.  In fact, part of the reason I used it so often was to protect "nicer" bodies from the rigors of weekly club races.

It was broken as a rider.... and it was my own dumb fault.  :crazy:    I started the race in the yellow lane, raced three heats and rotated out.  Later, when I rotated back in for my last heat in the blue lane, I pulled a piece of lane-marker tape from the blue driver's station, stuck the tape on the windshield of my car, and placed my car on the track in the corresponding lane.... All good, right?

Wrong... the tape was white.  White tape... blue driver's station... I completely missed it.  The power came on and my car hit the donut at full throttle.  It hit the wall tail-first.  I immediately assumed that I had hooked up wrong, so I pulled my controller wires and re-attached them.  Bob called, "Track", the power was killed, and I switch to my red & black Dodge body.

It was only after the race, when I saw the white tape on the broken GTO that I realized the true nature of my screw-up. :dash2:

Anyway... here in this corner of the slot-car world, we are Model Car Racers.  We build model cars.  We try to make them realistic.  We try to make them pretty.  Then we send them out to do battle, knowing that they are destined to take damage, possibly beyond repair.  Because Racing is what we are all about. :D

You can't always get what you want...

#6 n9949y

n9949y

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 03:01 PM

Platic Welder, indeed, plus replacement bodies from the Internet: E-bay to Japan, China (Hong Kong) German sites including the German E-bay to local hobby shops.  One of the local hobby shops in Albany carries a goodly number of long out of production kits, and a Springfield, OR "antique" store, Trash & Treasures,  also has a good supply of out of production stuff. 1/24th Carrera slot cars I look upon as a good source of "Raw" materiel which explain my motely collection of unused Carrera Chassis. Hobby Link, Japan, is a good source. Just got from a china outlet a out of production Fujimi model of the John Wyer 1968 Ford GT-40. This particular Fujimi '60's era Ford GT-40 permutation makes for an excellent slot car because it has much wider rear fenders than do the Mk II's and I's becasue by 1968 1:1 racing tires were becoming much wider. Paid $25 US + $15 shipping- good deal for an out of production kit. Also got from another China outlet a Fujimi out of production Porsche 917. Carrera has re-released its 1967 Ferrari P4.

The domestic model industry is re-releasing older models and a new producer, Mobius, that makes '50's era Chryslers and Hudsons. Just saw an ad on Internet for reintroduction of '48 Chevys. Southern Motorspors Hobbies, Atanta GA- good supply of NASCAR and 50-60 era decals. Strada Motorsports, St Louis, is likewise a good supply of sports cars and associated decals. "Break 'em & remake 'em," is a relatively easy proposition these days.

Todd Messinger

Remember folks, traffic lights timed for 35 MPH, are also timed for 70!

#7 rvec

rvec

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 10:02 PM

Hey, Rich - Good to see that you have the Jag put back together.  We missed you Monday night at Bob's race.

Sorry I could not make it. Returned to Roseburg late Monday afternoon from an action packed weekend trip and was just too tired. I would have liked to run my Econo because it is quite competitive - My NASCAR - not so much. See you guys next Monday

Rich Vecchio

#8 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 11:34 PM

At least no driver was seriously hurt, except for their feeling maybe. ;-)

Dennis David

curb-line2.jpg

gph_sm.jpg

#9 rvec

rvec

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 08:18 AM

At least no driver was seriously hurt, except for their feeling maybe. ;-)

However, this driver was seriously injured.

CFNCrash.jpg

Rich Vecchio

#10 rvec

rvec

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 06:58 PM

Jaguar XJ220 wins the GT1 race held as part of the True Scale Triathlon at Electron Raceway on 8/27/15! The car was very fast turning a fast lap time of 4.912 (4.868 is the record for this class) to read more see the link http://slotblog.net/...-raceway-82715/

Rich Vecchio

Electric Dreams Online Shop