• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 JimF

JimF

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,040 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 12:52 AM

For the last month or so I have been working to catch up on customer cars, showcase cars and some repair/re-jig jobs that I've promised. Just starting to get some new experimental stuff going, here is some of it.

I realize that these are even more obscure than 1/24 anglewinders and I don't build 1/32 cars often so I like to try new things. Powered by Slick 7 Mini Brutes, these are very fun cars and pretty darned fast. These are flat track builds.

Here are a couple of 1/32 anglewinders that I've built up in the last two weeks. The top one has been tested, then stripped down and rebuilt. The bottom one is just finished and is about to get cleaned up. These are two pretty different approaches to frame rail configurations.

Top Car. Approx 15* motor angle, rear motor tray, center weight, nose piece = .032 brass. Pans .062 X 1/4" brass. This was a "salvage build" from something else that didn't work very well.

• Original configuration was 3x.039 frame rails per side.
  • Pans are shaker mounts.
  • Center weight originally floated in the front center retainer tube and at rear attachment point.
  • As tested, this car was really fast to a point and then exhibited wheel hop at highest cornering speeds.
  • Harder tires mitigated this to a point but didn't solve. I concluded a little too much flex and too much lateral slop in the center weight.

Modified as shown here:

• Frame rails are now 4 X .039/side.
  • Center weight is now hanging on a .032 cross rail at rear and soldered so no lateral slop.
  • Ready to be cleaned and reassembled for testing, this car will run 96 gr.

aa43391d-c6aa-44ed-a151-a8481e910693_zps

fb2b1179-b2c1-475e-8633-99476b8e1b11_zps

Second car: Motor tray, pans = .025, nose plates and guide tongue all .062. Motor angle = 13*

I didn't know what I was going to build when I started this one, but ended up with........

•  
  • Main rails = 3 X .047 wire.
  • Conventional hinges.
  • Despite larger wire, this car has notably more flex than #1
  • Ready to run this will be about 92 gr.
  • Not yet tested.
  • This frame inspired a vaguely similar Can Am.....also just finished.

490680b9-d592-4135-9d55-b9bab90bfa9d_zps5c559bc2-2c8d-4409-b2d7-04ab3f574b59_zps

Testing will start sometime next week.

• endbelldrive, Tex, Tim Neja and 3 others like this
Jim Fowler

#2 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,085 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 07:29 AM

Really nice work Jim!  I don't understand what's particularly obscure about 1/32 anglewinders since they go all the way back to the beginning of anglewinders and continue to this day in both factory R2R and scratchbuilt versions.  Still, yours are really nice!

-john

John Havlicek

#3 SlotStox#53

SlotStox#53

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 07:47 AM

Beautiful little chassis Jim!

Love the design especially the way you've done the motor pod/backend and the nose piece :good:

#4 JimF

JimF

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,040 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 08:50 AM

Really nice work Jim!  I don't understand what's particularly obscure about 1/32 anglewinders since they go all the way back to the beginning of anglewinders and continue to this day in both factory R2R and scratchbuilt versions.  Still, yours are really nice!

-john

Thanks John. I guess I think of 1/32's as obscure because they are just not common these days. Among the fairly established retro programs, we in Nor- Cal are the only ones that run these anymore now that So-Cal has passed them by. I had a lot of fun building these and sort of inventing them as I went along.

• team burrito likes this
Jim Fowler

#5 Tim Wilkins

Tim Wilkins

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 11:26 AM

Very nice looking chassis Jim :good:   Although still popular, in an effort to support the Local Track with their business,  for now the 1/32 Retro class has been set aside here in SoCal to focus more on Retro classes that will provide the biggest turnout.

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

#6 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 10,085 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 01:26 PM

Thanks John. I guess I think of 1/32's as obscure because they are just not common these days. Among the fairly established retro programs, we in Nor- Cal are the only ones that run these anymore now that So-Cal has passed them by. I had a lot of fun building these and sort of inventing them as I went along.

Ahhh.  I guess since my frame of reference is really the older stuff, I didn't realize they were ever a thing in retro...much less no longer being a thing!  There have been some pretty great looking ones from England, South Africa etc. using everything from C motors to "Peanuts", and some itty bitty HO ones posted here, but I haven't seen retro 1/32 anglewinders before.  Philippe posted pictures of an early one with...of all things...a Mabuchi 26D!  Talking about stuffing 10 lbs of doo doo into a 5 lb bag!  Too bad it isn't being raced anymore, yours look sweet!

-john

John Havlicek

#7 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• 5,673 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 01:32 PM

Always good to see you back in "build' mode Jim! Love to hear how the little guys handle.  On our D3 hard body side--we've been building some "Mini's"--Mini Coopers---

their 1/24 scale but are 1/32 size chassis!! Mini brutes and they handle pretty well!! Fun stuff!

She's real fine, my 409!!!

#8 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 19,987 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 01:46 PM

Jim,
Your chassis look terrific.

A real nice look to them.

I agree 1/32 anglewinders are overlooked.

I drove one of Tracy's real simple anglewinders, on my tight flat track, and I only had one complaint.

With the S7 motor, I thought it was way too easy to drive.

I agree with your idea of not overpowering cars, but in this case, I really thought the car needed more zip.

Mike Swiss
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516

#9 JimF

JimF

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,040 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 10:06 PM

I don't disagree one bit with you about that in principle. But....the factoid is that since we started running the MB in several of our classes, we've had better racing and fewer wrecks in the classes where we run 'em. We could easily still be running the Falcon (or RH) in our F-1's and perhaps the Hawk or Puppy in the 1/32's. But.....on the 90' bullring at MoTown, the infamous Motherlode @ Vallejo, and the soon to be infamous "twisted sister" @ FTH.......we're (I think) going to have better racing doing what we are doing. FWIW.....I think we can sometimes overlook the general health of a program in favor of what a few elite racers like or want. They are not the whole story.

My first test of these little guys will be at FTH and I'll find what they can do on that big, twisty track that is entirely new (at least to me).
Jim Fowler

#10 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 19,987 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 10:35 PM

I don't disagree running the S7 for your series, in any of the classes.

I was just refering to my situation.

Running that car on a track that was in tip-top shape after running both Retro F1 and Can-Am at the Sano.

IOW, the point was how good a 1/32 car can be.

Mike Swiss
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516

#11 zipper

zipper

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 03:06 AM

No need to build - I still have one of these hanging somewhere with 13 UO in it.

graham_riko_awind2.jpg

• JimF likes this
Pekka Sippola

Electric Dreams Online Shop