69 replies to this topic

#1 Metalflake King

Metalflake King

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 08:04 AM

The Race Place in Farmingdale NJ will be starting an exciting new points race series titled the Hardbody Challenge.  Branching off our already popular Hardbody class its a faster more open format.  The series will be run monthly on Sundays following our current 6 PM Hardbody race.  The dates are as follows...

October      11

November    8

December  13

January      10 

February      7

March          6

The rules allow for 5 different chassis choices and use of the ProSlot FK4002 sealed Euro motor.  For complete rules see attached pdf below.  Preliminary testing has been successful and has lap times a full second faster than our current Hardbody cars.  I am excited to run this class and it has been getting lots of attention amongst racers here.

Here is Joe Emm's Nissan R391 GT1 and the B&E eliminator chassis almost ready for next weeks race.  

Attached Images

• HBC1.JPG
  • HBC5.JPG
  • HBC4.JPG

Attached Files

• Samiam likes this
Max Mohring

#2 rvec

rvec

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 09:24 AM

Joe's selection of the Nissan R390/1 is a good choice because it is very wide and has a relatively long wheelbase. In fact, I am in the process of completing one of my own for our GT1 class. The Nissan R390, piloted by Jack R., has achieved a modicum of success in races run at STR finishing second in two of four outings. Ron L. has also completed an R390/1 but has yet to run it in competition. Below are images of both cars. Also, below are the dimensions of some other GT1/Group C rides.

Attached Images

• image3.JPG
  • image4.JPG
  • P1020177.JPG
  • GT1Attributes.jpg

Rich Vecchio

#3 Metalflake King

Metalflake King

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 09:51 AM

Thanks for the specs and pics Rich.  I'm sure that will help some racers to decide on a body have they not done so already.  We will be listing the bodies and chassis chosen with the results for this series once it starts. 

Max Mohring

#4 rvec

rvec

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 10:50 AM

Thanks for the specs and pics Rich.  I'm sure that will help some racers to decide on a body have they not done so already.  We will be listing the bodies and chassis chosen with the results for this series once it starts.

For those looking for a very inexpensive but very good car, the Ferrari Enzo (snaptight) is a great choice. For about $12 it is a bargain and the model is quite common. In addition, the Snaptight version has few pieces to fiddle with

Rich Vecchio

#5 Joexemm

Joexemm

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 11:31 AM

I think my black one will be a little faster then the blue one just cause black race cars go the fastest!  :laugh2: This car is really easy to drive (for me) it rarely deslots the nose is planted. just gotta play more with keeping the rear under it. probably some different tires and a little more chassis flex should do the trick. mount the body on the front 2 pins so the rear can flex independent of the body  :wacko2: we will see!

Joseph Emm

"Success is the best Revenge".... - someone smart.

C.O.W. retro chassis Everyone that runs one knows Checkers or Wreckers

#6 Joexemm

Joexemm

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 11:32 AM

Special thanks to fax for doing the clear coat on my hot rod. i dont have the good stuff i have the can crap and it ruined some of my models the clear didnt adhear to the car and the decals came off its just ugly

Joseph Emm

#7 Joexemm

Joexemm

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 10:43 AM

7105a45dd0e47286a1c59ce322b75434.jpg

Hardbody challenge car all ready to beat the snot out the competition.
  • S.O. Watt likes this

Joseph Emm

#8 Metalflake King

Metalflake King

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 08:04 AM

Here's my ride for the Challenge class.  I did a little cutting and soldering to lighten and move the weight where I wanted it.  So far I am very happy with the B&E chassis.  The Porsche 956 body has proven strong and held together well for all my testing. 

Attached Images

• chal3.JPG
  • chal2.JPG
  • chal1.JPG

Max Mohring

#9 rvec

rvec

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 09:07 AM

Max,

Good choice. Although I did not list the Porsche 956 in the physical attributes table above, it is nearly identical to the Porsche 962. My recollection is that the overall length, height and width are the same as the 962. The only difference is that the 956 wheelbase is a bit shorter than the 962. I did run a 962 in our GT1 class for some time with a modicum of success. As you can see from the table above, my best lap at Electron Raceway was 4.991 (about .1 second slower than the record). The number is a bit misleading because the 962 was run with a Falcon 7, while all others were powered by a Hawk 7. The Hawk has better brakes and tends to be about .1 second per lap faster than the Falcon. Below is an image of my 962 on the grid at Electron Raceway. BTW the BRM 962 body will also fit and many are prepainted. Below is my BRM bodied Kenwood and Ron's BRM Bodied Leyton House 962.

As you can see from the physical attributes table the 956/962 has the lowest body height. Our GT1 requires larger front wheels and the 956/962 front wheel openings would no accommodate the specified front wheels. As a consequence, the front wheels have to be tucked under making the front track a bit narrower than other GT1s. I see you are taking advantage full advantage of the front track by using smaller wheels. As far as handling characteristics, I enjoyed driving the 962. The long tail makes it a bit looser and the car has an advantage on tight tracks with small radius turns. It will be interesting to get your driving impressions. Keep us posted

Attached Images

• P1000839.JPG
  • P1000845.JPG
  • P1010020.JPG

Rich Vecchio

#10 sportblazer350

sportblazer350

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 08:28 AM

Max- where did you get the fronts?

Glenn Orban
NJ Vintage Racing
NJ Scale Racing
C.A.R.S. Vintage Slot Car Club

#11 Joexemm

Joexemm

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 07:18 AM

HARDBODY CHALLENGE WAS AWESOME!

the cars are so much faster and after getting into the groove of things i got mine down to 6.19 on i think blue. TONS of fun! 

Max will get some photos up later. there were a few rule infractions but it was all minor things like drivers in the cars. we were behind the 8ball to say the least tons of racing going on for us this time a year! 

- Glen- if you know what you want jerry and jackie can get it for you.those are Retro fronts for can-am cars that he is using.

• Metalflake King likes this

Joseph Emm

#12 Metalflake King

Metalflake King

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 09:29 AM

The inaugural Hardbody Challenge race brought lots of excitement and smiles at the end of a long race day.  Thank you to all for staying for a late start.  The cars looked awesome and were very fast!  Joe and Max suffered some damage on the last two heats.  Full speed at the end of the straight into the banked turn on the inside black lane.... WHAM!  The steel chassis were strong and all finished the race.  I think we will be running this class more than first anticipated.  Here are the results...

1  Joe Emm                B&E Eliminator chassis                              Nissan R390

2  Kurt Mansfield        B&E Eliminator chassis                              Toyota G Reedy Rocket Bunny

3  Max Mohring          B&E Eliminator chassis                               Porsche 956

4  Martin Dixon           Parma FCR modified by Joe Emm             Nissan Skyline

5  Chuck Malave        B&E Eliminator chassis                               Porsche 962

6  Al Hernandez         H&R brass chassis                                      Porsche 911 GT1EVO

Attached Images

• 10115.jpg
  • 10116.JPG
  • 10114.JPG

Max Mohring

#13 Metalflake King

Metalflake King

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 09:34 AM

More pics...

Attached Images

• 10111.JPG
  • 10112.JPG
  • 10113.JPG

Max Mohring

#14 rvec

rvec

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 09:52 AM

Looks like a fun class. BTW, I think Al's car is a Porsche 911 GT1 EVO. See image below. The first is an off brand model. The others are Revell

Attached Images

• P1010834.JPG
  • P1020188.JPG
  • P1020190.JPG
  • P1020192.JPG
  • P1020194.JPG
  • P1020195.JPG

• Tim Neja likes this

Rich Vecchio

#15 Joexemm

Joexemm

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 10:07 AM

That is probably right rich! btw the car martin drove was constructed in 1.5 hours. not bad! hehehehe 

Joseph Emm

#16 Metalflake King

Metalflake King

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 10:07 AM

Thanks Rich.  Corrected.

Max Mohring

#17 rvec

rvec

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 10:37 AM

That is probably right rich! btw the car martin drove was constructed in 1.5 hours. not bad! hehehehe

Quick build. I think the car could benefit from brass side pans

Rich Vecchio

#18 Joexemm

Joexemm

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 01:11 PM

Update on the blue car with brass chassis. i have decided to give up on the project as the time consumed vs. yeild isnt even in the ballpark of what the b&e is capeable of.

Joseph Emm

#19 Metalflake King

Metalflake King

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 03:00 PM

We had so much fun with our first Hardbody Challenge race that it is now a weekly run class.  Points will still be given on the dates stated at the beginning of this thread.  This is defiantly lots of fun!!

1  Kurt Mansfield          B&E Eliminator                                                                        Orange Toyota

2  Max Mohring            B&E Eliminator                                                                        Red Porsche 956

3  Joe Emm                  B&E Eliminator                                                                        Black Nissan R390

4  Chuck Malave          B&E Eliminator                                                                        Orange/White Porsche 962

5  Chuck S...                Parma FCR modified by Joe Emm....now retired chassis       Blue Nissan Skyline

Attached Images

• 10186.jpg
  • 10184.JPG
  • 10185.JPG

Max Mohring

#20 rvec

rvec

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 07:46 PM

Hey Max,
Could you edit the post to identify the car and color(s) that each competitor was driving. I assume yours is the red 956 and the Joe is the Nissan R390 but who drove others. I always like to see what bodies are most competitive.
Thanks
Rich

Rich Vecchio

#21 Metalflake King

Metalflake King

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 08:47 AM

Edit made.

Max Mohring

#22 Metalflake King

Metalflake King

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 10:35 AM

It seems there is so much to talk about with the Challenge cars that we cant even stop for a proper photo in the winners circle!

Last Sundays Hardbody Challenge podium finishers. 

Attached Images

• 10189.jpg

Max Mohring

#23 Metalflake King

Metalflake King

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 08:55 AM

There were only four of us for the challenge class this week but I hear there are some more cars being built.  Chuck Schlottfeld, thanks for hanging around and to help marshal. Here are this weeks results...

1  Joe Emm                         Nissan R390

2  Kurt Mansfield                 Orange Toyota

3  Max Mohring                   Orange Porsche 962

4  Jerome Burwell               Red Porsche 956

All cars used the B&E eliminator chassis.

Attached Images

• 11018.jpg
  • 11016.JPG
  • 11015.jpg

Max Mohring

#24 rvec

rvec

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 11:26 AM

Max,
Some pretty close racing and some great looking cars. I think the Nissan may be a better choice than the 956/962 or is it that Joe has a "super motor" or is a "super driver". Which is it?

Rich Vecchio

#25 Joexemm

Joexemm

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 12:24 PM

I have a controller with choke and am able to wrangle the car into a much more manageable beast.  makes it easier to keep it on! so i guess technically i have a lesser motor!

Joseph Emm

Electric Dreams Online Shop