• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#51 crazyphysicsteacher

crazyphysicsteacher

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 11:01 AM

Okay, I am in the process of building a car. Those who know me know I do not always take the easy path, but the results always provide a great lesson. These are the beginning photos of a 944 challenge car. rear flares are welded up and the fronts are in the works. Once I weld up the front pieces I will mold and shape them to working function and keep them looking like period correct 80's race flares. Please leave comments but remember, I am not turning back.

Attached Images

• WIN_20160103_104614.JPG
  • WIN_20160103_104627.JPG

Chris Wendel
Silver Side Down Racing

"Failure teaches way more than success. It shows what does not work and what to never do again, again..." 🙊🙈🙉  

#52 Metalflake King

Metalflake King

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 09:18 AM

Looking good Chris!  Won't be long now.....

Max Mohring

#53 Metalflake King

Metalflake King

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 09:54 AM

Joining us in the ranks of the Challenge class this past weekend with his new B&E chassis car was Glen Orban.  Getting into a grove with these cars can take more than a couple of laps but in the end Glen put it best saying "Now that was fun".  Here are this weeks results....

1  Charlie Schlottfeld          Red Enzo

2  Max Mohring                  Yellow Enzo

3  Glen Orban                    Porsche 962

4  Carl Paterson                 Blue Enzo

Attached Images

• 137.JPG
  • 138.JPG
  • 135.JPG
  • 136.jpg

Max Mohring

#54 Joexemm

Joexemm

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 11:31 AM

Dang glenn NICE! good deal guys! ill be back soon

Joseph Emm

"Success is the best Revenge".... - someone smart.

C.O.W. retro chassis Everyone that runs one knows Checkers or Wreckers

#55 rvec

rvec

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 11:41 AM

Glenn,
Nice work on the 962. Was it a prepainted car? If not, an awesome paint an decal job! I can see the car is quite competitive - any one of the top three could have won it seems

Rich Vecchio

#56 sportblazer350

sportblazer350

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 07:17 PM

Hi Rich, this body is actually a BRM body. Since i am no longer racing BRMs, i had this body ready to use. Another racer discovered that the top of the guide flag was hitting the tow hook where it is glued under the body, so a bit of Dremel grinding and no more hang up. I expect to do better next time, as no more unexpected deslots in turns due to the guide flag binding issues.

At first, i had a hard time controlling this class of car due to the high power of the motor. About half way through the race (my first in this class) i started to control the car really well, and i said to Max: "i get it now!!". By the race end, i was in love with this class!! So i'm hooked Joey- it's all your fault!!

And a great big THANK YOU to Max for building my car (i don't yet have the skills to build a chassis this well) and for all of his help with getting other racer's Hardbody and Challenge cars on the track. A great group of racers at The Race Place makes for a fun evening of racing Hardbody cars.  

Glenn Orban
vintage slot car enthusiast
NJ SCALE Racing

Hardbody Racing at The Race Place

#57 Joexemm

Joexemm

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 08:24 AM

MY faault i admit it! but now your hooked so HAHAHA =P 

Joseph Emm

#58 Metalflake King

Metalflake King

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 12:21 PM

I think I can... I think I can... I think I can...  Hardbody Challenge is gaining steam as more cars are being built.  Now if we can all show up on at the same time. :to_become_senile:

Here are this weeks results...

1  Max Mohring            Yellow Enzo

2  Andy Sr                    Red Enzo

3  Chuck Malave          Orange Porsche

4  Carl Paterson           Blue Enzo

Attached Images

• 1107.JPG
  • 1109.JPG
  • 1108.jpg

Max Mohring

#59 Joexemm

Joexemm

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 03:50 PM

Looks like andy was figuring out where the big steam is at in my car  :good: 6.37 GG. I had to scram but im glad you got to race

Joseph Emm

#60 Metalflake King

Metalflake King

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:02 AM

Another Porsche has fallen victim to high speeds of the Hardbody Challenge class.  I don't think Chuck blipped soon enough before the high bank turn at the end of the straight.  Here are this weeks results...

1  Max Mohring            Yellow Enzo

2  Curt Mansfield          BMW

3  Chuck Malave          Porsche 962

4  Carl Paterson           Blue Enzo

Attached Images

• 1174.JPG
  • 1173.jpg
  • 1171.JPG
  • 1172.JPG

Max Mohring

#61 Metalflake King

Metalflake King

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 12:14 PM

Chuck Malave has found the way of the Enzo body, his offerings in florescent orange.  This class is so much fun...

Here's this weeks results...

Attached Images

• 13115.JPG
  • 13116.JPG
  • 13110.jpg
  • 13119.JPG

Max Mohring

#62 rvec

rvec

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 02:22 PM

Glen,
Cars look very closely matched. Enzos are a good choice - cheap and wide! I do like the BMW though
Rich

Rich Vecchio

#63 Metalflake King

Metalflake King

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 02:43 PM

Tyler has been wanting to get into the Challenge class so I decided to let him race my car and was I glad I did.  Not only did he take first place but it was super close, the difference between first and second, at the end, shown in the picture below.....   

Attached Images

• 2216.JPG

Max Mohring

#64 Metalflake King

Metalflake King

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 02:47 PM

Here are this weeks results....

1  Tyler D                                Yellow Enzo

2  Charlie Schlottfeld              Red Enzo

3  Chuck Malave                    Orange Enzo

Attached Images

• 22110.JPG
  • 2218.JPG
  • 2217.JPG
  • 2215.jpg

Max Mohring

#65 Metalflake King

Metalflake King

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 12:54 PM

Welcome back race fans!  Finally enough people showed to run the Challenge class.  It always takes a heat or two to get into the groove, I really enjoy the speed and acceleration of these cars.

Here is this weeks results...

1  Max Mohring              Yellow Enzo

2  Glen Orban                Porsche 962

3  Tyler Donzella           Green Enzo 

4  Chuck Malave           Orange Enzo

Attached Images

• 514.jpg
  • 516.jpg
  • 515.jpg
  • 518.jpg
  • 519.JPG

Max Mohring

#66 sportblazer350

sportblazer350

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 02:08 PM

it was good to get back to racing. Even though my trigger finger was a bit rusty, I was able to control this car. Loads of power, and with a few tweaks to the car since the previous race, I think it is handling much better. Now if I could only find the box with the original BRM chassis and interior, and I can complete this car. Need to do more digging in my basement. And yes, I will add the full scale plastic interior with driver. :)

Plan to build up a car with the other legal chassis- the newer aluminum ProTrack- and see if it can keep pace with these fast B&E chassis. Maybe i'll try a Scaleauto body this time?   

Glenn Orban
NJ SCALE Racing

#67 rvec

rvec

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 09:35 AM

Plan to build up a car with the other legal chassis- the newer aluminum ProTrack- and see if it can keep pace with these fast B&E chassis. Maybe i'll try a Scaleauto body this time?

Glen,
The Scale Auto, Slotting Plus or Scholer chassis are based on what I would call the H bracket design. The bracket rocks on the center section of the chassis and the body is attached to the bracket. The body can rock front to back (or visa versa) and side to side. I believe that any of these chassis will crush the current choice not only because of the rocking motion but because any of the three have the motor mounted in sidewinder or angle-winder configuration (which is much more efficient). One class that we run is called True Scale Sports cars. We have run the Scholer but recently Ron built a Scale Auto car. See the link to the Scale Auto Super Car thread on this forum for some details http://slotblog.net/...auto-super-car/ We add side and front pans for some additional weight. We use .062 brass. Our usage of .062 brass is because we run on very tight tracks (inner corner at STR 8 inch radius; inner corners at Electron Raceway 12 inch radius). You may want to try .032 brass and tune with additional lead weight. If the car is too loose I would add weight to the front pan, otherwise I would add to the side pans. If you decide to build one of these we can provide some additional detail.

A couple more thoughts are in order. The instructions for the Scholer chassis are in German and even so are not very good. If you are looking for a Scale Auto chassis, there are a few complete cars (new) on the internet that sell for $89 - $99. In fact, Ron and I just ordered these. They are 911 RSRs. Since we have other classes with big motors we intend to run the SA bone stock. The only thing you will have to do is to buy the ProComp foam tires to replace the stock tires (These are pricey at around $20). As an alternative we have used the big scale Protrack tires cut down to one inch in the rear. However there is a compatability issue. All three of these chassis use metric axles, and bearings. If you want to use the Protrack 1/8 axle you must ream out the real axle mounting holes to fit the bushings. In addition, you may want to cut the front tires down as well. Again, if you are forced to use ProTracks you will need to ream out the front axle hangers as well. I do this with a tapered round file. It will take some time a patience but it is an easy fix. Also,the motor bracket for the Scale Auto might be a problem. It is made for the Scale Auto motor and does not fit the Deathstar or Falcon 7 motors we use. You may need to fabricate a motor mount out of brass or aluminum. Ron took the aluminum approach. BTW there are some images of the Scholer and Slotting plus chassis in my latest race report. Cursor down to near the end. Here is the link http://slotblog.net/...16/#entry639857

Rich Vecchio

#68 sportblazer350

sportblazer350

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 09:36 PM

Well after about an hour and a hlf of hunting, I found the BRM Porche hardbody interior on it's chassis, so my body will finally be "legal": with an interior and a driver.

Rich- I raced BRM and Scaleauto cars for 8 years, so I am completely familiar with them. I prefer the Scaleautos over BRMs. A great out of the box car to race, just swap the hard rubber rears for foam. however, the Scaleauto foam rears are costly and the thin walls of the rims can be bent and ruined in the first crash (ask me how I know!!), and not much rubber on the wheels either. Beautiful cars, high retail price. Yet a great out of the box rtr Hardbody car. I enjoyed them, and this current group of racers prefers to build our own cars from H&R Racing chassis (a different class in another topic) or this class with B&E chassis, which handle well. We do allow the ProTrack aluminum chassis in this class, and I will probably be the first to build a car to race with that chassis.

I watched several European forums discuss Hardbody racing with a variety of "nuts and bolts" types of chassis, and they called the Scaleauto class a beginner's class. So the cars they built with Scholer, etc chassis really performed even better than a Scaleauto. Try building a car with a B&E chassis, I think that you will be pleasantly surprised.

Glenn Orban
NJ SCALE Racing

#69 rvec

rvec

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 10:16 PM

Thanks Glen, I may build a B&E when I have some spare time (not likely soon - much work around the home to do during the spring and early summer)

Rich Vecchio

#70 Metalflake King

Metalflake King

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 02:14 PM

I totally missed posting this one!  Better late than never.... from last race on August 21st. 

Happy to run the Challenge class again.  It always takes us couple of heats to get up to speed. 

Here are the results....

1  Max Mohring                 Yellow Enzo

2  Tyler Donzella               Green Enzo

3  Glenn Orban                 Porsche 962

4  Chuck Malave               Orange Enzo

Attached Images

• 8214.jpg
  • 82110.jpg
  • 82112.JPG

Max Mohring

Electric Dreams Online Shop