34 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Cannon Jr

Michael Cannon Jr

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 09:44 AM

I am trying to settle on what classes to race (a question in another thread I will begin after this one) and in my studies, it seems the future of the 440 x 2 isn't so bright. According to how I read the info on the BSRT web page, the parent company hasn't produced any of these cars in a number of years.

Is my info dated?

Will I be wrong to neglect this class of cars as a start up class at my track?

Michael Cannon
Upstate Speedway
11140 Asheville Hwy
Inman, SC 29349
(803) 341-1982
michael.cannonjr@gmail.com

#2 A. J. Hoyt

A. J. Hoyt

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 11:57 AM

Your decision should be based on 1) are the cars easy to tune to the track, fun to race, fairly equal and easy to manage tech, 2) easy to acquire (lots of inventory out there, cars come up for sale on eBay, not too expensive, etc,, 3) robustness in racing situations (can easily last a whole race and take the abuse without breaking or being rendered noncompetitive, bodies don't come off in a crash), 4) have bodies available for the classes you want to run and a variety of bodies are competitive within any class.

By keeping the rules simple and stable, you can build a good base of racers that will keep coming back around any chassis that meet the above criteria. Heck, most every region with a healthy racer base has a "stock" T-jet class and those cars have not been made since the early 70's, which seems to violate rule number 2 but, because of their large base, they do come up on eBay.

Any magnet car class can get out of hand pretty quickly when someone slips in a set of modern "super" magnets so be very careful to not let that get out of hand.

I love racing most kinds of HO cars and we have some very healthy racing programs up and down the I-25 corridor around Denver. The club with the absolutely stable rules set (6 or so classes) seems to attract and keep the most faithful racers. There are track records that have not been broken in 5 years or more! I know that factor kept me coming back for every race!

Just my 40% of a nickel.

During my six years of Retro racing, my aspiration to be a mediocre racer has come and gone; my peers now assure me I have peaked (some time ago)!

The only thing I know about slot cars is if I had a good time when I leave the building! I can count the times I didn't on one hand!

Entitlement:
The notion that one can have their slot car racing and EAT IT, too!

Slot Car Speedway and Hobbies
, Longmont, CO, Home of the 155' Hillclimb track featuring the THUNDER-DONUT - "Two men enter; one man leaves!"

#3 Ace

Ace

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 02:03 PM

Tyco 400 X2 cars are no longer in production. As far as classes for a new shop look at various options Wizzard makes several types of cars and supplies replacement parts as well as BSRT. Our local track runs HOPRA is also a place to look for types of classes being raced.

Darrell Fuller

#4 Michael Cannon Jr

Michael Cannon Jr

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 02:19 PM

Tyco 400 X2 cars are no longer in production. As far as classes for a new shop look at various options Wizzard makes several types of cars and supplies replacement parts as well as BSRT. Our local track runs HOPRA is also a place to look for types of classes being raced.

Thanks! Do you have a link for a web page?
Michael Cannon
Upstate Speedway
11140 Asheville Hwy
Inman, SC 29349
(803) 341-1982

#5 Matt Sheldon

Matt Sheldon

Duffy HMI Executive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 05:54 PM

There is enough Tyco 440 stuff still out there both NOS and used to last for decades and decades! As a shop owner it will not help you because the majority will need to come from Ebay. As stated Wizzard and now VSR have some great options with margins large enough for dealers.

Matt Sheldon

#6 PCH Parts Express

PCH Parts Express

Posting Leader

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 07:55 AM

Mega G seem like a nice car. They are up there price wise. But should work very good.

Scott Salzberg
PCH Parts Express

#7 Michael Cannon Jr

Michael Cannon Jr

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 09:38 PM

Mega G seem like a nice car. They are up there price wise. But should work very good.

The new Slot Car mag has a great comparison between several cars and the BSRT G came out ahead.
  • chaparrAL likes this
Michael Cannon
Upstate Speedway
11140 Asheville Hwy
Inman, SC 29349
(803) 341-1982

#8 Matt Sheldon

Matt Sheldon

Duffy HMI Executive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 01:09 PM

The new Slot Car mag has a great comparison between several cars and the BSRT G came out ahead.

No margins for you with BSRT 

Matt Sheldon

#9 Michael Cannon Jr

Michael Cannon Jr

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 07:31 AM

No margins for you with BSRT 

You mean profit for sell of the car?
Michael Cannon
Upstate Speedway
11140 Asheville Hwy
Inman, SC 29349
(803) 341-1982

#10 Matt Sheldon

Matt Sheldon

Duffy HMI Executive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 01:11 PM

Yes

Matt Sheldon

#11 Michael Cannon Jr

Michael Cannon Jr

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 03:16 PM

I understand. But its getting the cars in the track that most interests me. I'm willing to lose a little on a sell.
Michael Cannon
Upstate Speedway
11140 Asheville Hwy
Inman, SC 29349
(803) 341-1982

#12 Michael Cannon Jr

Michael Cannon Jr

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 09:41 AM

Here is where the bidding is as to the classes planned for Upstate. The Viper Super Stock is locked in. I have the first set of cars and another is being worked to send. I am almost certain to go with the BSRT G cars, the G3 and the G-Jet. Just can't seem to get any response from BSRT is all. The Wizzard Storm can run as a class all to itself as well. And finally, yes I will add the 440x2. I just spoke to the folks at REH and they have plenty in stock. I will way overstock on this car just so I'm secure to have the class run for several years at the least. Last thing I want to do is offer a class and then close it because there aren't any cars available. So if you want a 44-x2 car, I should have a big bucket load going into the new year. 

Now I start looking for the best 440x2 rules to plagiarize. 

Michael Cannon
Upstate Speedway
11140 Asheville Hwy
Inman, SC 29349
(803) 341-1982

#13 A. J. Hoyt

A. J. Hoyt

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 11:08 AM

G-Jets are a hoot and a great investment, in spite of the high initial cost. I raced mine in CO for 2 years (maybe 20 events) and only changed pick-ups - it was competitive the whole time. We raced a 12 hour enduro (six lanes, six teams) with six new cars matched by BSRT for a Scorpion track handed out 45 minutes before the start of the race, brought hard bodies, never had to change pick-ups or tires, the cars were just getting well broken in at the end of it.

G-jets (last I knew) were made to run on 12 volts - make sure you have the capability to change the power supply. Also, use only approved G-jet weight kits, tires, all parts "official" parts and you will have a class that is super competitive for years. Start to allow changes in the rules and you will have a run-away technology escalation with some "haves" and some "have-nots", a great way to kill a class! That happened here in CO and I didn't go back.

This seems like information consistent with why you started this thread; again, just my 40% of a nickel.

• chaparrAL likes this

During my six years of Retro racing, my aspiration to be a mediocre racer has come and gone; my peers now assure me I have peaked (some time ago)!

The only thing I know about slot cars is if I had a good time when I leave the building! I can count the times I didn't on one hand!

Entitlement:
The notion that one can have their slot car racing and EAT IT, too!

Slot Car Speedway and Hobbies
, Longmont, CO, Home of the 155' Hillclimb track featuring the THUNDER-DONUT - "Two men enter; one man leaves!"

#14 Michael Cannon Jr

Michael Cannon Jr

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 10:01 PM

440x2s are in the mail. Enough to launch a class.
Michael Cannon
Upstate Speedway
11140 Asheville Hwy
Inman, SC 29349
(803) 341-1982

#15 glueside

glueside

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 03:47 AM

Stay away from anything BSRT due to the owner doesn't care about tracks, look at Viper Scale Racing.

Jeff Strause

Owner, Strause's Performance Racing (SPR)

Burlington Iowa Kiwanis - President Elect

USSCA 2016 4" NASCAR Champion

USSCA 2016 4 1/2" NASCAR Champion

USSCA 2016 Retro Can-Am Champion

#16 Michael Cannon Jr

Michael Cannon Jr

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 10:12 AM

Stay away from anything BSRT due to the owner doesn't care about tracks, look at Viper Scale Racing.

I'm using Viper already. I plan to include the G Jets from BSRT
Michael Cannon
Upstate Speedway
11140 Asheville Hwy
Inman, SC 29349
(803) 341-1982

#17 Randy Tragni

Randy Tragni

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 09:29 PM

I'm using Viper already. I plan to include the G Jets from BSRT

You could easily build a G-Jet type car on the Viper chassis.  if you ditch the G-Jet 9 ohm arm it can be done for reasonable money too at around $30 + an old SG+ car. We have built comparable cars using both arms and the 6 ohm arm is a little faster but not by a huge amount. It also allows you to run at 15 volts if you prefer without smoking a $15 arm.

We run Tycos too and there are a ton of parts out there. What is drying up are the 3 ohm arms. On most tracks the 3 ohm arm is un-driveable anyway.

#18 Michael Cannon Jr

Michael Cannon Jr

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 09:56 PM

You could easily build a G-Jet type car on the Viper chassis.  if you ditch the G-Jet 9 ohm arm it can be done for reasonable money too at around $30 + an old SG+ car. We have built comparable cars using both arms and the 6 ohm arm is a little faster but not by a huge amount. It also allows you to run at 15 volts if you prefer without smoking a $15 arm.

We run Tycos too and there are a ton of parts out there. What is drying up are the 3 ohm arms. On most tracks the 3 ohm arm is un-driveable anyway.

But...you have to remember, there is an experience level of 0 with H.O. so I need cars that are RTR and classes easy to understand. 

Michael Cannon
Upstate Speedway
11140 Asheville Hwy
Inman, SC 29349
(803) 341-1982

#19 Randy Tragni

Randy Tragni

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 09:24 PM

But...you have to remember, there is an experience level of 0 with H.O. so I need cars that are RTR and classes easy to understand. 

OK Michael, If you want fast cars go with ready made Viper rolling chassis. They cost retail $45 but I'm sure wholesale is available. They are awesome cars, reliable, bullet proof. BSRT G3 are very comparable but wholesale is not an option.

Wizzard Storm cars are a little less money and are also very good. This might be a good option for you?

In my opinion, the rest of the stuff that is still in production is pretty much highly variable, and borderline junk (in some cases just junk).

#20 Michael Cannon Jr

Michael Cannon Jr

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 09:29 PM

You'll be pleased that I can report I have viper coming and storm is in the mail. BSRT has been impossible to reach. I also have 440x2 coming as a box stock.
  • glueside likes this
Michael Cannon
Upstate Speedway
11140 Asheville Hwy
Inman, SC 29349
(803) 341-1982

#21 Randy Tragni

Randy Tragni

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 09:17 PM

You'll be pleased that I can report I have viper coming and storm is in the mail. BSRT has been impossible to reach. I also have 440x2 coming as a box stock.

Michael,

The tires on a box stock Tyco are hard as a rock. Super tires are a great alternative but you will need to change the stock rims to 0.275 dia ones in order to get clearance under the back end. This one simple change makes the Tyco a very decent car.

#22 Greg Williams

Greg Williams

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 10:05 AM

Scale Auto/BSRT is very busy with just Gary and Nicki.  They are in the middle of some stuff but are trying to keep up with orders.  Emailing is probably not the way to go as Gary gets a ton of them.  I have found sending a fax to be the best way to place an order.  I have called during their normal work hours noted below and usually get in right away.  I will say that once you establish yourself with them expect excellent support.  Here is contact info from their website and not the normal phone hours.

1) Click here to E-Mail us the above information (order@scaleauto.com) 2) Fax our order form to our 24-hour fax line: (425) 868-9865 3) Mail the order along with payment to: Scale Auto, P.O. Box 2051, Redmond, WA 98073
Personal checks over $35 may delay processing of order (bank or postal money orders preferred). 4) Place an order by Phone by calling 425-868-8862.
Our normal phone hours are Tuesdays and Thursdays 12 noon to 5pm Pacific Standard Time (West Coast).

#23 Michael Cannon Jr

Michael Cannon Jr

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 11:37 AM

Well.....probably just my timing. I've gotten his wife several times but never caught him or heard back. She said he has been sick and is behind on orders. I figured I would go with what I have and try him again after the new year.
Michael Cannon
Upstate Speedway
11140 Asheville Hwy
Inman, SC 29349
(803) 341-1982

#24 Race O' Rama

Race O' Rama

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 04:15 AM

A G-Jet is a T-jet with a neo magnet in rear for traction

#25 Randy Tragni

Randy Tragni

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 07:49 PM

A G-Jet is a T-jet with a neo magnet in rear for traction

You obviously have no clue what a G-Jet is.

#26 Dushkwoneshe

Dushkwoneshe

Mid-Pack Racer

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 11:25 PM

...You could easily build a G-Jet type car on the Viper chassis.  if you ditch the G-Jet 9 ohm arm it can be done for reasonable money too at around $30 + an old SG+ car. We have built comparable cars using both arms and the 6 ohm arm is a little faster but not by a huge amount. It also allows you to run at 15 volts if you prefer without smoking a $15 arm.

We run Tycos too and there are a ton of parts out there. What is drying up are the 3 ohm arms. On most tracks the 3 ohm arm is un-driveable anyway...

Randy---Is that with the Tyco traction magnets removed?...

John Warren of North Coast H.O. (up around Cleveland, I think) used to run those with '40 Ford bodies for a Jalopy series back in the '90s---Ran at somewhere around 8 - 12 volts---Maybe a resin Sprint Car series, also---He said they were a lot of fun to race---Don't know if he used a spec tire or stock Tycos---Our group here was going to try it, but we sort of disbanded before things got rolling---Everyone got married and moved on to... ahem... *other* things---Dang newlyweds... 

I think all the races were on Tomy/Tyco/Life-Like home tracks---John 

EDIT - Found some photos of the Winged Sprint Cars - At least one has the Tyco rears with *440-X2* inked on the sidewall and they all have that stock tire appearance... 

John Wheeler

Certified Trigger-Finger Fitness Trainer

#27 Randy Tragni

Randy Tragni

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 12:50 AM

Randy---Is that with the Tyco traction magnets remove?

Dushkwonesche,

We run the Tycos with stock magnets. Pretty much stock narrow chassis with supertires in the rear.They are good cars without too much magnet that still require driver control to be competitive. I have not tried one of these without the magnets but JW advertises brass replacement weights for Tyco so someone must have run these at some time.

We are starting to experiment with a new class we are calling X-Jet. Uses the much out dated Tyco 440 magnum chassis with brass bar weight in the rear replaceing the magnet. For the cheap guys in the group we allow "make your own" lead weights instead of brass. So far we are running these with 79 Corvette bodies but one of these days I'm going to throw some pin tubes and a lexan body on one. These cars slide around a lot, much like a 1/24th scale car that requires good driver control through the turns.

Randy

#28 Dushkwoneshe

Dushkwoneshe

Mid-Pack Racer

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 01:39 AM

Sounds like a cool class, Randy---That's a hunk of brass!---Last 440 I ran was an Olds stocker---Long time ago...

I may be dumb, but who's  JW  that sells the Tyco weights?

Did you ever run one of the Japanese X3s?

Michael is gonna be an HO Addict before long---I can just feel it  :) ---John

John Wheeler

Certified Trigger-Finger Fitness Trainer

#29 Michael Cannon Jr

Michael Cannon Jr

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 01:43 AM

I'm reading....
Michael Cannon
Upstate Speedway
11140 Asheville Hwy
Inman, SC 29349
(803) 341-1982

#30 glueside

glueside

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 05:16 AM

I may be dumb, but who's  JW  that sells the Tyco weights?

Good luck getting any of them.  From what I have heard and my lack of e-mail replies says that he stopped providing his products.

Jeff Strause

Owner, Strause's Performance Racing (SPR)

Burlington Iowa Kiwanis - President Elect

USSCA 2016 4" NASCAR Champion

USSCA 2016 4 1/2" NASCAR Champion

USSCA 2016 Retro Can-Am Champion

#31 Randy Tragni

Randy Tragni

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 10:33 AM

Good luck getting any of them.  From what I have heard and my lack of e-mail replies says that he stopped providing his products.

Yeah, I heard that this weekend at a race. The website is still up though so no clue what is going on. Maybe another change of ownership?

#32 slotmobster

slotmobster

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 12:05 AM

You could buy new spare running 440x2 chassis directly from Mattel for $4 each up until about a year ago. I know - i brought the last of their stock. Made a killing selling them as well.
Simon Mok

#33 Ramcatlarry

Ramcatlarry

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 02:01 AM

Tyco slot car designs were bought by Mattel and killed so that Mattel can dumb down the kids into using non-motorized 'hot wheels' instead of electric slot cars.

Larry D. Kelley, MA
retired raceway owner... (for now)
race directing around Chicago-land

USRA 2011 member #025-2
USSCA 2015 member
Great Lakes Slot Car Club member
60+ year pin Racing rail/slot cars in America

#34 tazman

tazman

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 06:01 AM

So true-everthing non-motorized and/or computer related. What happen to the tinkering and building?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Rick Ortogero

#35 Ramcatlarry

Ramcatlarry

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 10:10 PM

Have you called REH Distributing in Ohio for HO products?  They have lots of ho-ho inventory and tune-up kits and racks.

Larry D. Kelley, MA
retired raceway owner... (for now)
race directing around Chicago-land

USRA 2011 member #025-2
USSCA 2015 member
Great Lakes Slot Car Club member
60+ year pin Racing rail/slot cars in America

Electric Dreams Online Shop