• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sidejobjon

sidejobjon

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 11:43 AM

Very sorry to hear the sad news about Tony Passing.

Aurora Super II engineer & Winner of several HOPRA Champion ships "think 20".

God Bless him & Thoughts& prayers to his Family

I did not meet him, except for email But feel I know him.

SO SAD

SJJ

• race301 likes this
John Falzarano

#2 John Gorski

John Gorski

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 12:46 PM

Condolences to Tony's Friends & Family. I remember him & Peter Lentros at Nutley Raceway. He was a real HO Buff.

Peace

• race301 likes this
John Gorski, Jr.

Home of the Gorski Double-Micro Controller

#3 Jaz

Jaz

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 01:28 PM

Wow, sad news.

I remember his beautiful HO set in his room upstairs. Fully decorated, we'd spend hours racing and building 1/24th stuff. He built me my first anglewinder chassis in 69 that had the pans soldered solid to the plumber rails and floating pans above them for the body. Always an inventor, he had a way of seeing things unlike most of us.
We wandered apart after college.

He will be missed.
  • Half Fast likes this
Jeff Morris

"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over." Fuds 1st law of opposition

#4 A. J. Hoyt

A. J. Hoyt

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 02:13 PM

This is sad news; condolences to his family and family of racing friends.

I only raced with him once, at the Twinn-K HOPRA Championship race at their headquarters, August of '72, I think. He debuted the new (not yet released) Super II in winning fashion as he was the "factory rep" racer for Aurora.

One meeting is enough to get an indelible impression - he was intense in his craft. I recall he had a controller with what looked like 15 adjustment knobs - maybe it was only 8 - and maybe 5 of those did nothing but add a psych-out factor to intimidate the other racers. I recall, at that time, hoping that we would not all need multi-adjustable controllers to be competitive; I guess he was a visionary and way ahead of his time!

My favorite memory is his rather animated response during the Twinn-K Main when he discovered my car "double counting" on the counter section, the first section after a tight turn onto the main straight. Most people rocked so bad there that their car did not count at all on many laps, particularly bad on the inside lanes. I think I may have exploited this when I got my car to make/break the connection several times while on the section.

He proclaimed (in his East Coast manner), "Hey, who's playin' machine gun on the lap countah!".

He was a very competitive racer at the top levels even through recent years so he was one of the very best, ever.

Any other Tony stories out there? He should be remembered for his contributions to the HO world, to be sure.

• Mike Patterson and NSwanberg like this

During my six years of Retro racing, my aspiration to be a mediocre racer has come and gone; my peers now assure me I have peaked (some time ago)!

The only thing I know about slot cars is if I had a good time when I leave the building! I can count the times I didn't on one hand!

Entitlement:
The notion that one can have their slot car racing and EAT IT, too!

Slot Car Speedway and Hobbies
, Longmont, CO, Home of the 155' Hillclimb track featuring the THUNDER-DONUT - "Two men enter; one man leaves!"

#5 bbr

bbr

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 05:03 PM

Tony, one of the best if not the best HO racer of our generation.

Rip my friend.

I first met him in the 1980’s when he was working out here in Southern California for Mattel Toys.

He raced with us in the local racing group then. He and Gary Beedle had quite a racing rivalry which soon turned into a business rivalry with their respective HO performance parts businesses.

His early days racing in the HOPRA Nationals he was given a special award, the “Agitator” award.

After he moves back east to Florida, he started his Slottech business.

We had some large event HO racing here in Southern California and I invited him to attend and he has attended the Spring Nats in 1995 and the Big SHOt in 2012 (was the last time I saw him).

My fondest memory of Tony was during the 1995 HOPRA Nats.

Tony had his two sons with him and in the hectic environment of a big race, Tony always had time for them.

• race301 likes this
Mike Low
Cry like a baby, drive like a girl, walk like a man.
Give me enough rope and I'll build a fast car... or hang myself?

Electric Dreams Online Shop