Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,539 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 09:07 AM

From the 10/28/15 edition of the Eastes Park Trail Gazette:

Rainbow Curve hopes to bring out kid in everyone

by Debbie Holmes

Are you a race car enthusiast? You probably didn't know about a little hidden secret located in the bottom of the Estes Ark. There's a "blast from the past" waiting to be discovered by locals and visitors. Rainbow Curve slot car racing is alive and well.

Designed after the 1960s-style slot car racing by Steve Swickard, the original owner of The Estes Ark who built the racing track for his personal use. 

"When we bought the Ark and discovered the race track, we knew that this was going to be a great asset to The Ark," said Jesse LaBore, son of new Estes Ark owners Penny and Brian LeBore. 

"We knew how well-built and thought out the Ark was when Mr. Swickard built it. The slot car racing track is equally as well-built and thought out," Brian said. "It's an amazing track that can hold up to standards from anywhere."

Jesse hopes to introduce and build the slot car business and competition here in Estes Park.

"It's a great indoor activity for kids and adults. We've had grandparents, dads, moms and parents already come to race," Jesse said. "It can get really competitive."

Click HERE to read the rest of the story.

rc.jpg

Jesse LaBore, son of Estes Ark owners Penny and Brian LeBore, demonstrates slot car racing at Rainbow Curve. (Photos by Debbie Holmes / Estes Park Trail-Gazette)

• Peter Horvath likes this

#2 Matt Sheldon

Matt Sheldon

Duffy's HMI Executive

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 07:56 PM

So I took a quick break from the office this weekend and headed up to Estes to visit Rainbow Curve Raceway (named after the curved stretch of road that it is on). The weather was a perfect sunny 69 degrees with snow within the peaks of the mountains and the elk out everywhere. If the scenery of the trip is not enough to excite you, then that fact that the track is housed within the lower level of an ark should do it. Want even more excitement? A mere 1.5 miles down the road you can stay at the Stanley Hotel where the movie "The Shining" was filmed and it is still rumored to be haunted. Understand that Estes Park is a tourist town where craft stores, homemade fudge, salt water taffy, and cotton candy are everywhere. The bread and butter of the ark is Teddy Bears, crafts, and gifts of all natures; the race track was just an added bonus.

I was greeted by Penny and Brian, the new owners since August, and right away could sense very kind individuals. I was lead downstairs to the race track and immediately felt as if I was stepping into a Parma time capsule. Things that Parma has been out of for five to eight years they have and have in bunches. I am still im awe as to how many bodies the previous owner ordered. Ready to run kits, yep, they got them, ready to run cars loaded with Deathstars, yep, they have them by the cases.

Brian set me up with some time and I ran some laps. The lack of glue and a freshly-cleaned surface made for some interesting initial laps, but after putting in some time and massaging the tires with some Trinity yellow I was finally hooked up fairly well. The track is a beautiful Gerding 100 foot corner climb with six lanes. There is a track call button at every drivers panel and a couple more spread out around the marshal points. It was very well thought-out when ordered by the prior owner. The track is a great club, rental and birthday party track that drives really well.

Brian and Penny's son Jesse showed up and I must say for a young man only a few months into this he not only is slowly figuring out the track ownership end of this, but he is also a fast study of driving. I am really hoping we can get him racing with us on a regular basis as he is very good. I had the most fun driving my NASCAR 16Ds there. The Retros were fun, but the flexis ran a little better. Hopefully we can help him get a regular race program going and mix some old with new.

I was there for two hours and he had a steady rate of rentals going as well as spectators. They have seen as many as 50 rentals in a day this summer and I am confident Jesse will do a good job of keeping that going.

There has been a longtime urban legend about this track. What appears to be the truth is that the prior owners were not kid-friendly and made the track off limits after only a season of having it open. Eventually they told others they sold the track to stop them from asking, all while it was neatly tucked away within the basement the whole time.

I encourage anyone and everyone if they are in the area to stop by and put in some laps, you will not meet nicer people. Attached are some pictures from the trip.

IMG_1991.JPG

IMG_2003.JPG

IMG_1992.JPG

IMG_1993.JPG

IMG_1996.JPG

IMG_1999.JPG

IMG_2002.JPG

IMG_1998.JPG

IMG_1997.JPG

IMG_1995.JPG

• Tim Neja and Samiam like this

Matt Sheldon

#3 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 14,274 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 08:25 PM

Matt, thanks for the great report! I guess the Colorado Springs area Retro racers found something else to do when they stopped racing at Longmont.
Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#4 Matt Sheldon

Matt Sheldon

Duffy's HMI Executive

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 08:46 PM

Must have because they could have easily just head south to Pueblo to race as well and have not. If we could get all to hit on the same weekend we have a 25 racer field and that does not include those that have hung up their controllers.

Matt Sheldon

#5 tonyp

tonyp

Grand Champion Poster

• Member at Peace
  • 15,325 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 01:54 PM

Nice place.

Anthony 'Tonyp' Przybylowicz

5/28/50-12/20/21
Requiescat in Pace

#6 Phil Worthy

Phil Worthy

Posted 03 November 2015 - 11:21 AM

Gorgeous scenery.

The previous owners were "shooting themselves in the foot" by excluding children. Most of us were kids when we started to slot race. I have always thought that slot car racing is a good night time/bad weather activity in tourist destinations during the season, a time when most tracks see their activity drop off. Of course, racing is something fun for locals to do during the off season.

That 100' Gerding looks sweet. I hope a racing program gets started there.

#7 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,539 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 12:03 PM

We stopped in Estes Park on the way to Oregon to get my Model A, specifically to see the Stanley Hotel.

I can't believe I didn't think to stop at the Estes Ark...

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#8 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,614 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 12:07 PM

If you look carefully on the wall, you'll see on every item they stock, there is two of.

Mike Swiss

Inventor of the Low CG guide flag 4/20/18
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 692 Citadel Drive, Westmont, Illinois 60559

#9 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,800 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 02:32 PM

Very cool little track and what a location!! Beautiful!! I'll put it on my "bucket list" to stop in there and stay at the hotel - perhaps next summer!! Nice report. :)
She's real fine, my 409!!!

Electric Dreams Online Shop