• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Rob Fredrick

Rob Fredrick

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 06:18 PM

Because of illness I may be away from my slotcars and Slotblog for months at a time. Changes do occur with the various  forums, policies and format.

I was sure there was a search function at one time allowing one to type in a couple of key words and related conversations from 1 or more forums would be listed.

I'm not seeing a "search" function...am I just missing it? Is my memory false?

For what it's worth,  what I wanted to search for was a discussion re the "best" gear puller.

I wanted to revisit that particular topic as my second puller (both from the 60's) has finally failed and I need to buy a new pinion gear puller. 

Prices run from $8 to $80  and I find very little detail as to shaft size compatibility from the various makers.

My motors are a mix of vintage 36d (.093). 16d (.078) and the modern 16d and super 16d motors.

If someone can direct me to the previous discussion or address my current situation with a recommendation it is much appreciated.

(note: my first 2 gear pullers lasted nearly 50 years from 1966 to the present...I can't imagine the one I need to buy now will require that longevity)

Thanks to all

R F

#2 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,539 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 06:27 PM

Kinda surprised at this question, Rob, as there is a search field on every page at Slotblog.

Here's a screenshoot chunk:

search.jpg

I'm thinking you might be accessing Slotblog via cellphone?

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#3 Rob Fredrick

Rob Fredrick

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 06:50 PM

Thanks Gregory...when I enter "best gear puller" in the search box (Google) at the top of the page I see Amazon, Auto Zone, Northern Tool and others listed in response.

(and I'm sure this topic was discussed on Slotblog in the past)

Clearly I am mistaken as to my recollection of the past. I incorrectly believed the Search function offered only results from Slotblog.

Thank you for your time. My apologizes.  

R F

ps   You flatter me suggesting I'm using a cell...I'm mega old school...don't even own a cell phone

My best, R F

#4 C. J. Bupgoo

C. J. Bupgoo

reticent abnegator

• PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Location:Whittier, People's Democrat Republic of Upper Mexico, CA

Posted 27 November 2015 - 08:08 PM

Rob;

Go to the white "search field" as illustrated above by Cheater, enter your topic of choice (or desire), click on the word "Google" to the right and you will be able to view a "menu" with eight options;  "This Topic" and "Forums" are the only two at this point in time that you need be concerned about.  Click on one or the other, then click on the green box with the white magnifying glass outline.  You might have to change the wording/verbiage of your request a few times before you get a "hit", as quite often persistence is the key to getting positive results...  Just "play around" with it for a while and you'll get the hang of it...  I could give you more tips or hints, but at this juncture they would probably just add to your confusion/frustration...  See how you do with the information that has been provided...  "hang in there!"

Michael G. Sutlick

"A man can never possess too many small, electric motors.

Buford T. Tesla, (c. 1927)

#5 Zippity

Zippity

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • 5,278 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 08:29 PM

Better still, enter the search words you want to use in the white space, ie. "best gear puller", and click on the cog icon "Advanced Search" (furthest right).

You will be presented with some radio buttons asking which "Search in section" you prefer - select "Forums"

You may need to enter your search words again in the "Find words" window provided.

:)

Here the the end result for the search you are wanting: http://slotblog.net/...ch&fromsearch=1

• Rob Fredrick likes this
Ron Thornton

#6 Rob Fredrick

Rob Fredrick

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 08:33 PM

Thanks for the help gentlemen...now let's see if I can find a quality gear puller...I'm sure it has been discussed on Slotblog.

As always, the members  here are ready, willing and able to offer valuable input.

R F

#7 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 14,274 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 08:53 PM

Rob, I like the Champion & Parma gear pullers that sell for $12.50. Most of my motors have .078 shafts which these fit. I don't see why the space between the two jaws couldn't be ground or filed wider to fit a .093 shaft too. Incidentally, I prefer to use solder-on pinions but I pull them off with a gear puller. If you have any commercial raceways in your area, see what gear pullers they stock. If you have none, like me, use one of the internet sources such as PCH(Pacific Coast Hobbies), Mid-America Raceway & Hobbies, or even eBay. What were you using for gear pullers? One of mine is  a RAND bought in the late 60's.

Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#8 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Administrator
  • 18,354 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 09:22 AM

Rob, some of these suggestions may be more complicated than you need. It's really simple.

Type in "best gear puller" in the Slotblog search box. Hit "Enter" or click on the green button, not the "Google" button.

Yes, some other junk will come up right at the top like you said. Scroll down until you are past the advertisement junk and you'll see many Slotblog subjects.

Not taking away from the other answers, just sayin' it's a piece of cake.

Paul Wolcott

#9 Rob Fredrick

Rob Fredrick

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 09:45 AM

Zippity and Pablo have taken me where I needed to be.

Clicking on the "cog" icon (without any key words) just to the right of the Google search takes one to the Slotblog search page which I recall using in the past.

Thanks everyone.

Bill from NH thank you for the recommendation on the pullers. The Parma/Champion puller for my purposes will be fine...thanks again to all.

R F 

#10 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,746 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 04:14 AM

Rob , check your PMs.

Sam Levitch

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters, and if you do not have integrity, nothing else matters."
    Robert Mueller, special counsel (2013)

"... because people have got to know whether or not their president is a crook."
    Richard M .Nixon, Nov 17, 1973

"Fool me once, same on... shame on you. Fool me... you can't get fooled again."
    George W. Bush

Electric Dreams Online Shop