43 replies to this topic

#1 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,354 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 07:13 AM

My 2 year old Dell running Windows 7 works perfectly.

It keeps wanting me to do a free upgrade to Windows 10.

What are the advantages and disadvantages ?

What are the risks of ruining a good thing ?

Thanks,

Pablo

Paul Wolcott

#2 Pappy

Pappy

Grand Champion Poster

• 14,067 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 08:02 AM

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I know people who have windows 10 and love it and I know people who did the free upgrade and hate it.

Jim "Butch" Dunaway 

I don't always go the extra mile, but when I do it's because I missed my exit. 
All my life I've strived to keep from becoming a millionaire, so far I've succeeded. 
There are three kinds of people in the world, those that are good at math and those that aren't. 
No matter how big of a hammer you use, you can't pound common sense into stupid people, believe me, I've tried.

2000 Jackasses

#3 MattD

MattD

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,561 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 08:41 AM

Two years ago it was hard to find a new IBM with Win 7, but there were a few still available although they were not easily available as Win 8 had been released and that's what were in all new computers. I tried 8 for one day and took that machine back, it was a big learning curve compared to 7. 7 works great for me and I don't want to learn a newer system, so I will not consider swapping my 7 for 10, which is offered to me daily.

I was told 8 and newer versions are an attempt to be more like Apple. It may be better, but like a lot of older guys I am happy with a system that works good and that I understand.

Matt Bishop

#4 Pappy

Pappy

Grand Champion Poster

• 14,067 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 08:47 AM

I was told 8 and newer versions are an attempt to be more like Apple. It may be better, but like a lot of older guys I am happy with a system that works good and that I understand.

I'm using an Apple and I hate it because I don't know how to do much of anything on it. I need to go back to XP.

Jim "Butch" Dunaway 

I don't always go the extra mile, but when I do it's because I missed my exit. 
All my life I've strived to keep from becoming a millionaire, so far I've succeeded. 
There are three kinds of people in the world, those that are good at math and those that aren't. 
No matter how big of a hammer you use, you can't pound common sense into stupid people, believe me, I've tried.

2000 Jackasses

#5 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Administrator
  • 18,354 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 09:11 AM

Don't know if I guessed 2 years old correctly, Matt. Maybe 3, who knows. Time flies....

It's sounding like I need to stick with 7. I don't need fancy gizmos or the latest fads.

Paul Wolcott

#6 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 14,274 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 09:13 AM

XP is a very stable system. Some large corporations are still using it for that reason. Microsoft doesn't still support it but they don't use Microsoft support. I get the Win 10 upgrade icon mentioned every time I turn on my laptop. I don't need it, Win 7 has been working fine since I got it in 2010. Someday, I'll turn off this upgrade icon. Down the road, I expect to see Microsoft stop supporting all versions of Win 7 for increased support of their latest version whatever that may be.. My daughter has a new Dell computer at work with Win 10 on it & it works good. It's just not something I need.

Pappy, have you ever gone to a large bookshop, such as Barnes & Noble, to see if they have any "how-to" books that apply to your Apple? There use to be plenty of books & magazines published that would help with various systems, but in all honesty, I haven't looked for such books recently. Also, maybe there are some internet sites that help the same way. The version of Win 7 I have has a "Welcome Center" icon, but I've seldom used it. I've found the internet to be better at problem solving. Are there any Apple users groups in your area that could help? My local library is networked with Apple computers. If I had any Apple concerns, I'd start there. They might have books & magazine like I first mentioned too.

Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#7 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Administrator
  • 18,354 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 09:26 AM

Please show me how to turn off the upgrade icon so it shuts up, please. :)

I made up my mind.

Paul Wolcott

#8 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 11,198 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 09:50 AM

W10 is fine.  W8 was the worst piece o' doo doo since...well...the last piece of doo-doo that Microsoft foisted on the public...and the supposedly "fixed" 8.1 was worse!  When everything went 64 bit, the writing was on the wall and people would eventually HAVE to upgrade, which was painful because it was software and hardware that needed to change and a lot of people have way more invested in software than hardware.  While XP was great and stable, the short-lived 64 bit version wasn't.  Also, the number of patches and fixes that got installed over the years of it's life, added up to a huge amount of "junk".  At this point, computers are disposable commodities, like Kleenex, although a lot more expensive, the software not so much.

Anyway, W10 seems to me to be a little clunky, although I guess I will get used to it.  I have it running on a different computer and while it runs perfectly fine, I find myself thinking that I liked the whole UI of W7 better...but again, I'm used to W7.  ***As always, back up critical files when upgrading just in case, but the general consensus seems to be that W10 is "one of the good ones".  W7 won't be supported by Microsoft soon and other software will eventually follow suit, so there are reasons to move to W10 and get used to "the way things will be".  It's not hard at all to figure out, just looks and works a bit different.  I have heard that there are some "privacy" things in there to be aware of, but I'm not sure what that's all about.  Lastly, since Microsoft only seems to bat .500 at best with operating systems, W10 will probably be around for quite a while since it'a all but guaranteed that whatever follows will be a buggy mess.

-john

• Dave Reed likes this
John Havlicek

#9 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 14,274 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 10:17 AM

Please show me how to turn off the upgrade icon so it shuts up, please. :)

I made up my mind.

I just tried to do that but it doesn't work. I'm seeing the icon on the task bar of  Win 7.  I tried "right button"  clicking on this icon & all I got was a bunch of positive links for Win 10.  I'll check the internet next.

A Microsoft.com site had this info. I think I'll just live with the stupid icon longer rather than to keep watching for this update. This site also said the free Win 10 offer was only for a year. If true, it'll go away automatically by next summer. :)

Go to Windows Update. Click on Installed Updates. Search for and find (KB303583). Right click on it. Choose uninstall. Confirm. Restart.

Microsoft will keep pushing it as an Important Update. Your computer probably has been set to install important updates automatically. Change this. Go to Windows update. Change settings. Choose Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them. Uncheck KB3035583 so it is not installed every time they try and send it to you.

Bill Fernald

#10 Howie Ursaner

Howie Ursaner

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 10:50 AM

I am new to win 10 and also have a mac now. I google all the questions i have and always get an answer. its a fast way to learn the new stuff. Lots of questions.

Howie Ursaner

#11 PCH Parts Express

PCH Parts Express

Posting Leader

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,454 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 11:00 AM

We're running Windows 10 on a Toshiba laptop made for Windows 10. So for it is easy to use. 

Scott Salzberg
PCH Parts Express

#12 Richard G With

Richard G With

Outside Agitator

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 11:51 AM

I have Win 10 via the free upgrade from 8.1.   Win 8 was in my opinion a disaster due to the design assuming that you have a touch screen.

I, too would be happy with XP but the non-supported status should not be taken lightly. The older the version of Windows you are running, the more exposed you are to viruses and malware.

I would suggest accepting the free upgrade, IF your computer passes the tests to run it. If you choose to get behind on upgrades you are putting yourself on a path to replace your computer at some point in the near future. For now, the upgrade is free, there's no guarantee that Microsoft will be that generous down the line. At that time you will be pretty much stuck with whatever version of Windows is extant then. The game is that MS usually only supports three versions, if you get too far behind you may not have the upgrade path available.

We must all do what we must do, for if we do not, then what we must do does not get done.  Chung Mee

Parkes, W. (Producer) & Meyer, N. (Director). (1985). Volunteers.[Motion picture]. United States: HBO.

#13 zipper

zipper

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 11:58 AM

Bill from NH, on 28 Nov 2015 - 5:17 PM, said:

I just tried to do that but it doesn't work. I'm seeing the icon on the task bar of  Win 7.  I tried "right button"  clicking on this icon & all I got was a bunch of positive links for Win 10.  I'll check the internet next.

I'm just lazy so  I renamed the GWX.exe in C:\Windows\System32\GWX and it doesn't pop up.

Pekka Sippola

#14 Jairus

Jairus

Body Painter Extraordinaire

• Subscriber
  • 10,174 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 12:09 PM

Depends on what you use it for Paul.
Some applications need a newer operating system to work correctly.  Especially if you watch Youtube or Netflix.  Those applications are always improving things requiring upgrades to maintain a good viewing experience.

I am using the most recent O.P. on my iMac right now and things are working great.
Just no Word or Excell for the moment.
But that will change as they fix the bugs.
In the mean time loading pics from the camera, Photoshop and other graphic programs are super fast not to mention all the neat pop up reminders iTunes and other info.

As James mentioned: "If it ain't broke.....".

Jairus H Watson - Artist
Need something painted, soldered, carved, or killed? - jairuswtsn@aol.com

www.slotcarsmag.com

www.jairuswatson.net
http://www.ratholecustoms.com
Check out some of the cool stuff on my Fotki!

#15 Maximo

Maximo

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 12:53 PM

I still use XP and although MS hasn't support it for some time, it continues to work for me. I once tried to use the Win 7 upgrade but it told me that my PC was not new enough or capable of running the upgrade.

I am happy where I am.

-Maximo

David Ray Siller

MAXImum MOtion

Retired Video Game Creator/Designer/Producer
Thingies are my thingy!

#16 GotToRace

GotToRace

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 01:13 PM

Win 7 is very solid and stable which is why the DoD systems I use pretty much skipped over Vista (piece of crap) to go to 7. This is also why the support for 7 will be around for a while, at least the government images are switched to 10.

Win 8 / 8.1 is/was another piece of crap. KNOW WHAT THE MOST POPULAR Win 8 utility was? ... The one(s) that made it look like Win 7. :)

Win 10 is great. Have it on a MS Surface 3 and a Dell laptop that were both originally 8.1. 10 is super fast booting compared to 7/8. I really like it. A lot more like 7 than 8 was.

Caveat: The free 10 upgrade may not turn out to be free after a couple years. Secret MS documents leaked before the launch said that MS will be going to the 365 license model like Office. So eventually we will be paying annual renewal fees to MS for the privilege of using out PC's.

Steve (Spud) Saunders
Please! This is supposed to be a happy occasion.
Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who.
- King of Swamp Castle: Monty Python, Holy Grail

#17 MattD

MattD

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,561 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 03:59 PM

It's a battle isn't it. You get a system that you know, it works good, then you lose support, then it isn't quite up to snuff for newer programming. It seems like every 5-6 years you have to learn a new system. Hopefully by the time 7 is totally out of date the win 12 will be easy to use and learn your way around!

Matt Bishop

#18 Phil Hackett

Phil Hackett

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 5,618 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 04:46 PM

I've been recommending, for years, that if the machine is doing what you need, you're happy with the way it works and you are comfortable with the controls and interface, DO NOT UPGRADE, regardless what everyone else says. You will be happy and you're blood pressure will be under control.

Something else to think about: if your machine is 2+ years old, the upgrade, while compatible, is not designed for it. 

In all cases, have a complete backup of the system and data files! Always!

• Mike Patterson and Tom Eatherly like this

Click HERE to contact Sonic Products. The messenger feature on my Slotblog account has been disabled.

MACHINESIGN.JPG

#19 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Administrator
  • 18,354 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 07:36 PM

I always have my stuff backed up, and I changed my mind - I jumped onto Win 10.

It's painful, like any other change.

Paul Wolcott

#20 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 14,274 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 08:05 PM

What caused you to change your mind? I'm sticking with Win 7  until I have to get another machine. My old machines, that i seldom use, have Win 95, Win 98, & Win XP. I got rid of my Win 3.1 & Win for Workgroups 3.11 machines. When I worked in Denver, I had a Unix workstation with both a Windows & an Apple emulator.

Bill Fernald

#21 MarkH

MarkH

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 09:07 PM

Windows admits 10 has features that cannot be turned off that track the way you use the computer and send a report back to MS so they can better serve you, what does that mean specifically?

Most likely Win10 will record everything you do and everywhere you go on the net and and generate a personality profile of you. Sure, the argument always is .."it is for marketing". Well I would be welling to bet some those they are marketing to are not trying to sell you something. They might just be the insurance companies, health care (read -sickness management), or any Government agency that may want to see if you fit a profile and use the easy tools MS provides.

Just saying…………………… YOU are the product they are selling. Free, nothing is for free.

Mark Horne

SERG - www.slotcarenduro.club
"Racing is life... everything else is just waiting." Steve McQueen - LeMans
There are only two things in life that make me feel alive. Racing is one of them.

#22 Mike Patterson

Mike Patterson

Village Luddite

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,522 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 09:44 PM

I'm using an Apple and I hate it because I don't know how to do much of anything on it. I need to go back to XP.

Pappy, if your Mac has Boot Camp on it, and it should, you can install XP and use it whenever you want. You can even use an app called Parallels, and run both operating systems at the same time.

But what are you trying to do on the Mac that's giving you problems? You can PM me if you want to avoid thread drift.

• miko likes this

I am not a doctor, but I played one as a child with the girl next door.

#23 Jason Holmes

Jason Holmes

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 09:49 PM

I asked the same ???? of our tech at Boeing a Dell guy he says the Free is just that for a Year then you PAY for it I well keep my 7 PRO

Jason

#24 NSwanberg

NSwanberg

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 11:44 PM

I took the plunge on a 4 year old Lenovo lap top. So far so good. It seems like it takes a little longer for an application to load but once it is running I think it is definitely faster. The screens are a little different but I did not want to get caught with something that did not have support. So far all the user data and files remain with no problem accessing them. I am not a fan of the Evil Empire or Intnernet Exploder but I think the Gates and his minions got Windows 10 right. I use Chrome as my secondary browser but always start out with Chrome. Any links I open form my SBC email account open in IE.

Remember the Steube bar! (ask Raisin)
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL RACEWAY!!
"The denial of denial is the first sign of denial." Hank, from Corner Gas

"Death before disco!" Wanda from Corner Gas
Nelson Swanberg 5618

Peace be with all of us and good racing for the rest of us.
Have controller. Will travel. Slot Car Heaven

#25 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Administrator
  • 18,354 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 09:23 AM

What caused you to change your mind?

I waffled after reading post #12.

I'm still here, so I guess it works OK :D

Paul Wolcott