• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 JimF

JimF

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 12:41 AM

I have been quiet on this forum of late but that has just been a matter of available time. I have been building a fair bit though, and so in response to a couple of whatchoo-beendoin' questions, here is an update on some developing stuff.

Can-Ams:

Torsion Car. I have not been a fan of torsion cars due to most of my efforts being not very good. However, I know they can be very good and so this one was built after seeing a pic of something Rick B has been messing with. I had a JK center section laying around so I dusted it off and cloned his concept.

• JK center, R-Geo 3/4" bracket. All up about 104 grams.
  • Tuning forks are .062" and are free in the tubes.
  • Frame rails are .062" but do not connect to the bracket.
  • Frame rails join the fork rails via a spacer or tie bar of .062" wire.
  • This bit was originally about 3/8" long but is now is about 3/4" long.
  • Outboard, the frame rails are free in the square tubes attached to the pans.

This car has been tested once on a flat King that had very high bite on that day. This was good out of the gate being easy to drive and forgiving on turn entry. However, in the very fast donut, the car developed a loud "crackling" noise and released suddenly. I attribute this to too much torsional twist and the frame putting a heavy load on the outside front tire. This pic shows the spacer increased to 3/4" and a limiter at the crux of the forks.

1-002_zpspfiivgjs.jpg

No-Brainer Car: I have been goofing with some fairly exotic frames lately and this was intended to have something that works everywhere and is easy to tune. I have tested this a fair bit and indeed, it works everywhere and is usually one of my two or three fastest cars. Three or four other guys have driven this and two have ordered them.

• R-Geo 1" bracket, all the rest is handmade.
  • Single rail of .078" wire, pans are .062" wire. Weight is about 104 grams all up.
  • Pans have normal hinge in front but outboard shaker tube setup for rear hinge.
  • This car is very tolerant of different tires and doesn't need a lot of tuning.

006_zpsc4thacm9.jpg

The NOT No-Brainer Car: Attempt to follow up on the above build with something with the potential to be faster. It is... sometimes. This car was the fastest in the box when running on the Purple Angel at Fast Track Hobbies on a day with modest bite conditions. However, when tested on the flat, highly-stuck King track at Slot Car Raceway in Rohnert Park, the car had to be driven very carefully. It was really fast... just before it came off.

• R-Geo 1" "Pro" bracket. All other bits handmade.
  • Five rails/side of .047" full soldered. Weight about 101 grams all up.
  • Conventional hinge front, outboard shaker rear.
  • This car may eventually become a six-rail/side.

005_zps4vsgeewn.jpg

The X-3: This is the latest generation of the X-1 experimental chassis that I posted on some months ago. This has only been tested once, on the flat, bitey, King track at SCR in Rohnert park. On that day, this car turned the fastest time that I have ever done there and it handled the high bite very well. Like the original X-1 and the subsequent variants, this is a perimeter chassis. This one differs in that it uses a fork configuration that I have seen on cars by the Tokyo crew and also by Jim Lange. This is the stiffest of the X series chassis so far.

• R-Geo 1" bracket, all other bits handmade.
  • Central forks are .062", tied into the nosepiece with a single bit of .062".
  • Single perimeter rails are .055". Pans are .062" wire. Normal hinge front, outboard shaker rear.
  • Car runs 102 grams all up with the center weight in place, 97.5 without it.
  • So far... this car is pretty darned good just as it is.

007_zps5ykpfksl.jpg

008_zps57jvluop.jpg

Will follow with a few F1s in a day or so...

• Cheater, Jencar17, Jason Holmes and 4 others like this
Jim Fowler

#2 Michael Rigsby

Michael Rigsby

SRT Motorsports

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 05:56 AM

Wow, super-sanitary builds, Jim. I love looking at your work.

I like the looks of the "No-Brainer" chassis. Looks like it would work well on the tracks down here.

"... a good and wholesome thing is a little harmless fun in this world; it tones a body up and keeps him human and prevents him from souring." - Mark Twain

#3 JimF

JimF

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 09:27 AM

Thanks, Mike. I really like the "NB", too. It has served exactly as hoped... a car I don't have to think about and very durable. The single .078" rail is very useful for this type of thing.

Although I seldom do very many Can-Am chassis the same, I'm intending to build a couple more of these in varying wheelbase and guide lead configurations.

• boxerdog likes this
Jim Fowler

#4 Rick

Rick

Grand Champion Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,844 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 07:00 PM

This is the chassis pic I sent Jim of the DennyK built torsion car,. I explained somewhat what I wanted it to be and Denny came up with this. I am very pleased with how it races. 100.6 gram RTR.

Denny Torsion Car.jpg

• Jencar17 and Tim Neja like this

Rick Bennardo
"Professional Tinkerer"
scrgeo@comcast.net
R-Geo Products
LIKE my Facebook page for updates, new releases, and sales: Rgeo Slots...

Lead! The easy equalizer...

#5 SlowBeas

SlowBeas

Troublesome De-slotter

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 07:11 PM

Have the pics of JIm's cars been removed? I'm not seeing them. (Please don't tell me if must be my computer...again.)

Jim Beasley
South Carolina, USA

"Assuming either the Left Wing or the Right Wing gained control of the country, it would probably fly around in circles."
- Pat Paulsen, 1968
"I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol."
- Steven Wright ca. 1983

#6 Hack

Hack

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 07:46 PM

I don't see them either          HFFH

James Mills

#7 A. J. Hoyt

A. J. Hoyt

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 08:44 PM

There is a window that says, "Click for photos" but it doesn't work for me so I don't get the see them, either. Jim, what did you do differently? I'm always interested in seeing what you are up to.

Sorry about the nerf. "Sorry? Sorry? There's no apologizing in slot car racing!" 

Besides, where would I even begin?   I should probably start with my wife ...

"I don't often get very many "fast laps" but I very often get many laps quickly." 

The only thing I know about slot cars is if I had a good time when I leave the building! I can count the times I didn't on one two three hands!

Former Home Track - Slot Car Speedway and Hobbies, Longmont, CO (now at Duffy's Raceway), Noteworthy for the 155' Hillclimb track featuring the THUNDER-DONUT - "Two men enter; one man leaves!"

#8 Dominator

Dominator

Posting Leader

• IRRA National Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,829 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 08:45 PM

I got the same thing using my laptop (windows 10) and my Galaxy 5

A motor is only as fast as the chassis it's in.

Dominic Luongo
Like Dominator Custom Chassis on Facebook

NERR photos from 2012-April 2016
NERR photos from 2016 to now

#9 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 14,315 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 09:03 PM

The photos were there this morning because I looked at them then. I'm not sure what has happened since.

Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#10 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 09:58 PM

I think they may have been redacted. ;-)

Dennis David

#11 JimF

JimF

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 10:07 PM

Geeze......I have no idea. Sorry guys. I did my editing in Picasa this time then uploaded to Photobucket. Maybe PB is mad at me for having adblock on when I'm on there. Trying again right now.

Just checked Photobucket.....all the pics of this batch that I had uploaded to there were just gone. Went back to Picasa and all were there so I uploaded them to PB again and then reposted here. All good as of right now.

• Rick and Jason Holmes like this
Jim Fowler

#12 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,747 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 10:40 PM

:good:

Sam Levitch

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters, and if you do not have integrity, nothing else matters."
    Robert Mueller, special counsel (2013)

"... because people have got to know whether or not their president is a crook."
    Richard M .Nixon, Nov 17, 1973

"Fool me once, same on... shame on you. Fool me... you can't get fooled again."
    George W. Bush

#13 FVracer

FVracer

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 11:33 AM

Whew, I was really counting on using those to build cars for the local (Dallas) races.

Diana Dyckman

#14 old & gray

old & gray

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 02:00 PM

Jim,

Thank you for your informative and open build posts. If I may ask, what are the wire and tube sizes on the rear of the pans on the Torsion Car, and the sizes for the front hinges on the The No-Brainer Car and The NOT No-Brainer Car

thanks,

Bob

• Tim Neja likes this
Bob Schlain

#15 JimF

JimF

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 02:45 PM

Hey Bob!

Torsion Car = .062 wire in 3/32" tube.

No Brainer and Not = .055 wire in 3/32" tubes.

Jim Fowler

#16 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,803 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 08:51 PM

LOVE your builds Jim---and a bit jealous that you get to run on so many diverse tracks!! I"m either flat track or swoopy King so the variety just isn't there!  I hope to one day travel up to your area for racing!! Keep up the great build logs and posts--a LOT of us find it very informative and entertaining!! Happy New Year my friend!! :)

She's real fine, my 409!!!

#17 JimF

JimF

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 12:10 AM

Thanks Tim and, congrats on your recent runs. You are really stepping it up of late.

Ya know, I think our mutual friend Dennis has said it best when he said "I race so that I can build". That's the way I see it too. All the different tracks and surface conditions that we see up here, are among the reasons that there seems to always be an endless string of building challenges and ideas.

I hope that you make a race or two up here this year, but if not, I'll see ya down there a few times this summer for the flatster races and maybe a stab at the King. Gonna miss "the Cave" but heck........I understand the reasons.

Jim Fowler

#18 JimF

JimF

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 12:13 AM

Whew, I was really counting on using those to build cars for the local (Dallas) races.

That's very flattering Diana....thank you. If you ever want more detailed pictures or closeups of a certain feature.......don't hesitate to ask.

Jim Fowler

#19 SlowBeas

SlowBeas

Troublesome De-slotter

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 01:14 PM

Jim, I'm so glad you were able to determine the reason the pics weren't appearing on the site. These builds are impeccable!

I enjoy seeing your creativity and craftsmanship. Always have. They provide other builders something to think about.

Thank you for sharing, and -- PLEASE -- keep it up!

Best,

jb

Jim Beasley
South Carolina, USA

"Assuming either the Left Wing or the Right Wing gained control of the country, it would probably fly around in circles."
- Pat Paulsen, 1968
"I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol."
- Steven Wright ca. 1983

#20 Mark Johnson

Mark Johnson

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 11:11 PM

well done

#21 FVracer

FVracer

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 01:20 PM

Jim,

What thickness is the brass sheet on the X-3?  I don't understand what you have done on the top view of the X-3. From the bottom view it appears that the fork is solidly soldered to the nose piece by a single.062 wire. On the top view I see what appears to be a tubing piece at the front of the fork. Is the brass sheet within the fork a single pivot with a rear shaker mount? If so, have you run the car without the shaker plate?

Thank you,

Diana

Diana Dyckman

#22 JimF

JimF

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 02:44 PM

Diana:

All the flat brass sheet material is .032. The fork is joined solidly to the nosepiece via a single bit of .062 wire. The tube you are seeing in the top view is the front retaining tube for the center weight. Here are a couple more pics that might clarify a little.

I have run the car with the center weight both in and out. There seems to be little difference so I'm leaving it out for now. Will be testing for a race this weekend and may place a 1.5-2 gr weight on top of the rear outriggers if I feel that the car is too grip-tippy. So far, it has not exhibited that characteristic.

1-X3%20closeups%20002-001_zpsawiykvas.jp

X3%20closeups%20003_zpsguvenczi.jpg

• Jencar17 likes this
Jim Fowler

#23 FVracer

FVracer

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 04:40 PM

Jim,

Thank you very much.

Diana Dyckman

#24 JimF

JimF

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 02:44 PM

Here's an update after our race @ Slot Car Raceway in Rohnert Park Ca. last weekend.

Torsion Car: The modifications discussed earlier in the article paid off and the excessive load on the fronts seemed to be gone. Still not as fast as some of my others but worth more development.

No Brainer: No further input on this one. The one pictured was a customer car and he picked it up so.....no further testing. Getting another one on the jig today.

(Not) no brainer: This car won the race in it's first outing. Unfortunately, I wasn't driving it......... :sarcastic_hand: . It was really good after narrowing tires but I selected something else for myself simply b/c I had another car that was a bit easier to drive. Then, in a weak moment, I loaned it out to some guy named Gawronski and he smoked us all with it. That'll learn me!

X3: This car was very fast but a little touchy to drive with exceptionally high bite on the track. I elected to run the X2 version which is quite a bit heavier and thus, was easier to drive in the conditions at hand. Unfortunately, I handed out the NNB to a guy who is kinda fast so my car choices for this last race may not have been the smartest that I've ever made.

• miko and boxerdog like this
Jim Fowler

#25 TG Racing

TG Racing

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 03:46 PM

Nothing like getting beat by your own car.  Been there !  LOL!

Thom Greene

Electric Dreams Online Shop