• Pablo likes this

#2 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,261 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 06:56 PM

We'll discuss this when I get back from the Hillbilly Nats, Ralph.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#3 Joe Mig

Joe Mig

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 06:58 PM

Oh man now I know why I could not find it.

What gives?

Joseph Migliaccio. Karma it's a wonderful thing.

"Drive it like you're in it!!!"

"If everything feels under control... you are not going fast enough!"

Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

#4 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 22,261 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 07:11 PM

Short version: almost no one in slot racing seems concerned enough about it to help keep it current (there are a few exceptions, but I don't need both hands to count them).

The distributors won't help, the raceway owners by-and-large won't help, and at a 99.9 percent level, the racers won't help, even though there was a pinned post atop the General Slot Car Racing forum since July 2008 asking for help in maintaining the accuracy of the Raceway List.

I often call raceways to ask for info and track pics and despite promises, they almost never follow up and send along the info I requested. If I leave a voice mail, I usually never get a callback.

I'm just a little frustrated and well, tired, as it is way more work than most would believe trying to hunt down new raceways and gather the needed info.

One distributor I visited a few years back told me he's on Slotblog every day. "What do you look at?" I asked. "Only the raceway list. I look to see if you have found any new tracks I can sell to." I suggested that it would nice if he became a Slotblog advertiser to support something he finds useful yet three years later it hasn't happened.

I am coming to question whether it is a good use of my time to maintain the Raceway List when so few seem to care and even those who benefit don't feel it important to support the efforts that go into it. Put yourself in my shoes and honestly ask yourself if you would feel differently.

Anyone want to volunteer to maintain the Raceway List here at Slotblog?
  • Pablo and Samiam like this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#5 RodneyZ

RodneyZ

Mid-Pack Racer

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 07:20 PM

Greg, what would need to be done?

Rodney Ziemek

#6 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 22,261 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 07:21 PM

Rodney,

Little busy at the Hillbilly Nats right now. Let's discuss via phone first of the week, OK?

Gregory Wells

#7 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 07:35 PM

It's a conspiracy by the 1/32 guys to derail the commercial raceways. They already hit OWH's raceway directory.

• Pablo likes this
Sam Levitch

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters, and if you do not have integrity, nothing else matters."
     Robert Mueller, special counsel (2013)

#8 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Subscriber
  • 12,574 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 08:08 PM

I have tried to help maintain it, and quickly learned it was futile. I agree 100% with Greg.

Paul Wolcott

#9 Joe Mig

Joe Mig

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 08:41 PM

Too bad, I always direct people to it whenever they are looking for a track in their state. Like if a post on Facebook I will copy and paste a link to the track the directory that somebody is looking for racetrack in state they live.

• garyvmachines likes this
Joseph Migliaccio. Karma it's a wonderful thing.

"Drive it like you're in it!!!"

"If everything feels under control... you are not going fast enough!"

Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

#10 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 22,261 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 08:51 PM

It's not gone away for good, Joe. Still considering what will happen with it going forward.

The Raceway List still exists... it's just hidden.

Gregory Wells

#11 RodneyZ

RodneyZ

Mid-Pack Racer

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 10:07 PM

OK.

Rodney Ziemek

#12 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 11:10 PM

This a real sad development and I can only suggest that you remove raceways that don't supply info and only add raceways that reach out to you. Make each raceway pay for the listing and the hell with the rest.
  • Pablo and Iamnowhere like this

Dennis David

curb-line2.jpg

gph_sm.jpg

#13 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 8,550 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 11:40 PM

And how are you going to keep the list updated? If you can't keep the adds, relocations, and closings updated, it's like spitting in the wind. Not worth doing.

• Pablo likes this

Bill Fernald

Some people burn rubber. I burn oil.  :roflmao: 

#14 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 11:52 PM

Before Al Gore invented the internet there was the directory in Scale Auto Racing News. I would look every month for new raceways. When I visited one that was not in the magazine I would ask the owner why. Most said "Scale Auto What?" The ad was dirt cheap. Why wouldn't they put an ad in the only slot magazine at the time? They are all gone now.

• Pablo and garyvmachines like this
Sam Levitch

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters, and if you do not have integrity, nothing else matters."
     Robert Mueller, special counsel (2013)

#15 PCH Parts Express

PCH Parts Express

Posting Leader

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 11:57 PM

Track owners are an endangered species. May I suggest that they be forgiven for not being diligent in updating their raceway listings?

• Pablo likes this
Scott Salzberg
PCH Parts Express

#16 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Subscriber
  • 12,574 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 12:09 AM

That's a good suggestion, Scott.   :good:

Greg, how about bringing the list back on line, but only include responsible and communicative raceways? Would that be a fair compromise?

Paul Wolcott

#17 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 22,261 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 12:22 AM

It's not a bad Idea, but I am considering a couple of other approaches as well.  

And right now, I'm a little distracted with the race at Tracy Brown's terrific raceway.

Gregory Wells

#18 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 22,261 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 12:25 AM

May I suggest that they be forgiven for not being diligent in updating their raceway listings?

I especially give those raceway owners who have had to close their doors a pass for not letting me know.

The aspect I find unfathomable is that new raceway owners, a vast majority of the time, have little or no interest in taking advantage of what amounts to free advertising on a highly-targeted medium that's receiving nearly 250,000 page views a month.
  • Pablo and Samiam like this

Gregory Wells

#19 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Subscriber
  • 12,574 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 12:32 AM

Please take your time, Greg. Everybody here has patience and respect for you, and your decisions. :good:
Those who don't, are long gone. :)
  • garyvmachines likes this
Paul Wolcott

#20 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 8,550 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 11:17 AM

The aspect I find unfathomable is that new raceway owners, a vast majority of the time, have little or no interest in taking advantage of what amounts to free advertising on a highly-targeted medium that's receiving nearly 250,000 page views a month.

Not just new raceway owners, but some raceway owners won't spend their time or their money on advertising that may not increase their income at all. They don't see the benefit of listing their raceway in a computer file that's kept somewhere with others. They view the directory as just another "Who's Who" book but in an electronic medium rather than printed.  They choose forms of local advertising in their area, if they choose to advertise at all. Since the existing track directory gets a quarter million hits every month, that doesn't say much for the slot racing crowd in general, since we only have a few thousand commercial slot racers.

Bill Fernald

Some people burn rubber. I burn oil.  :roflmao: 

#21 Richard G With

Richard G With

Outside Agitator

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 11:38 AM

How about recruiting a few Slotblog members by region to verify the contact info by calling the contact number and/or checking the web site if any for activity?

Does the hosting software allow for inclusion of flag fields such as "Last Verified", "Permanently Closed","Moving", etc. They could also check out other sources for their areas to add tracks that don't show up. I have found a couple of SoCal tracks from a simple Facebook search that I don't remember seeing in the old directory.

I initially was going to say it wouldn't be necessary to contact those known to be in operation but perhaps it would be good to contact them anyway. They might not know about the blog.

We must all do what we must do, for if we do not, then what we must do does not get done.  Chung Mee

Parkes, W. (Producer) & Meyer, N. (Director). (1985). Volunteers.[Motion picture]. United States: HBO.

#22 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Subscriber
  • 12,574 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 01:59 PM

The ones I tried to contact and update were like chasing a wounded bird down the surf line trying to help it.

• Joe Mig likes this
Paul Wolcott

#23 PCH Parts Express

PCH Parts Express

Posting Leader

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 02:32 PM

Having a flawed (slightly or a little bit) list is far better than no list. Besides, the list/directories are value and traffic draw to Slotblog. Some directories don't make money. In the lobby of a NYC office tower they have fancy and costly directory boards by the elevators. These boards are helpful to some visitors.
Scott Salzberg
PCH Parts Express

#24 Hermit #1

Hermit #1

Mid-Pack Racer

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 02:53 PM

Having a flawed (slightly or a little bit) list is far better than no list.

Strongly agree - the list has value to me.

If maintenance of the list is proving too cumbersome for one webmaster to deal with, perhaps we can get some volunteers to work on it. Especially if the list is divided up into regions, so a single volunteer isn't stuck with the whole country.
Dave "Hermit" Jones
5/26/??-9/12/17
Requiescat in Pace

#25 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Subscriber
  • 12,574 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 03:17 PM

Hermit #1, if it was too "cumbersome" for Greg to deal with, as you put it, that wouldn't present a problem.

I'm a full time volunteer and I'd be glad to work night and day to help him with it. Matter of fact, I've already tried and quickly learned my lesson.

I repeat: it's an exercise in futility. The big established businesses, like PCH and Chicagoland, are NOT part of the problem - it's the small ones.

The ones who need the help most, but don't have the smarts to take advantage of it.

Scott's comments are all pertinent, and I hope there is a compromise here somewhere.

Cheater is extremely busy as a traveling race reporter this weekend. Give him some time and I'll bet he finds a way to re-invent it for the better.

Paul Wolcott

#26 Richard G With

Richard G With

Outside Agitator

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 06:11 PM

One more thing: I don't see the directory as benefiting the track owners so much as people who travel and want to try out different tracks and meet other racers.

• Samiam likes this

We must all do what we must do, for if we do not, then what we must do does not get done.  Chung Mee

Parkes, W. (Producer) & Meyer, N. (Director). (1985). Volunteers.[Motion picture]. United States: HBO.

#27 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Subscriber
  • 12,574 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 06:15 PM

:good: Excellent point, Sir :clapping:

Paul Wolcott

#28 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 08:18 PM

I agree with Richard. As lamentable as the situation is I also think this is a valuable resource for the new racer and those returning to the sport. How many times have each of us heard that they didn't know slot car racing still existed.

Shame on the raceway owners that are unresponsive, your lack of involvement past your own front doors is what will doom your business and sadly it will not be only you that will suffer.
  • Samiam likes this

Dennis David

curb-line2.jpg

gph_sm.jpg

#29 Michael Jr.

Michael Jr.

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 06:29 PM

If you out a disclaimer at the top that while the list is faithfully maintained, racers should always verify the track is open before driving.
Then no one can complain if you miss a closing.
  • Joe Mig likes this

Michael Cannon Jr

Electric Dreams Online Shop