4 replies to this topic

#1 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,547 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 05:30 PM

The famous British Pathé newsreel company is starting to post themed "collections" from their archives on YouTube. Here's one on the subject of 'Model Racing Cars."

Without searching for them, I'm pretty certain all or part of these three videos have been posted here at Slotblog, but the video quality of this collection is far, far better than I remember them being! Well worth a revisit.

Enjoy!

Thanks to Steve Deiters for sending me this YouTube link.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#2 Zippity

Zippity

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • 5,278 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 08:05 PM

Looks like fun.  :)

Ron Thornton

#3 Richard G With

Richard G With

Outside Agitator

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 08:19 PM

Anyone here ever used the steering wheel controls on the AMR tracks? How did they work? Answer "badly" not acceptable, would like some details of the mechanism involved. I remember seeing an arcade machine at King Louie's Kansas City track that used the steering wheel to operate a primitive game, whick showed a vertical overhead view of a race track. Maybe that was the same hardware repurposed?

We must all do what we must do, for if we do not, then what we must do does not get done.  Chung Mee

Parkes, W. (Producer) & Meyer, N. (Director). (1985). Volunteers.[Motion picture]. United States: HBO.

#4 old & gray

old & gray

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 12:55 AM

Yes, I remember using them on a hillclimb. How did it work, well as I remember there was a switch on the panel to select controller, or the wheel and throttle (no brake). What I remember was the track was braided in sections. The wheel had to align with the section i.e. straight, left or right for the car to get power. I remember the "trick" was to turn the wheel before the turn so that the car coasted into the turn and the power came back on. The wheels would spin 360 so turning right 270 would be the same as turning left 90. Not very enjoyable nor did it resemble driving.
Bob Schlain

#5 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 14,317 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 06:45 AM

I recall running on several Maine AMR tracks with steering wheels back in 67 or 68. Everyone just plugged in their controllers (phono plugs) & ignored them. They didn't last long.

Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

Electric Dreams Online Shop