Photo

Let's give 'em something to talk about...

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#51 Dallas Racer

Dallas Racer

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 09:26 PM

Phil,

Go reread the title of the thread.

It's not "SCRRA Rules Change-please only post positive comments".

If he wasn't looking for honest feedback, he could of also posted the announcement and locked the thread.

PS-and if you think no SCRRA members haven't been rudely critical of the IRRA, you are highly confused.

We just had a few over our recent  gear ruling, both on FB, and here on Slotblog (post #15).

http://slotblog.net/...r-announcement/

I see your point, Mike. Bryan is probably enjoying all of this. :)

• MSwiss likes this

Phil Smith ® ™

#52 Booger

Booger

Backmarker

• Subscriber
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:27 AM

Run the bodies "as is"......No spoilers.....Let's see which is really the best.....They don't have 2ft rear spoilers in real life.

Gary "Booger" Baker

#53 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,570 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 12:41 AM

24 × 1/2" = 12"

Google Lola T160/ Images

If some of those aren't a foot tall, they are close.

Regardless, the "real life" cars weren't driven by drivers without a lower torso, and somehow slot racing orgs are fine with that. Lol

Mike Swiss

IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990)
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder (pointless era - LOL) 
17B West Ogden AveWestmont, IL 60559, ( 708) 203-8003
mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address) 
Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516
Make checks out to Chicagoland Woodworking, Inc.

#54 smokie

smokie

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 11:35 AM

I'm going to apologize to Bryan for pouring a little gas on this fire that's started here. I really do understand what Bryan (and the BPR locals) are subjected to with the body rulings of the SCRRA. I know of at least 8 different versions of the Ti22. some work better than others...some hardly resemble the real 1:1 car that was campaigned way back when...

I really don't think what he's proposed is something to be laughed at. Attaching a side dam that makes the car aerodynamically similar to the Ti makes for a more diverse lineup for qualifying  Making other bodies more comparative against the Ti would promote sales (and thereby sell-able by the raceway owners/distributors/manufacturers) and help keep the sport alive.

Possibly (as a suggestion) make the Ti22 legal for high speed tracks and use the others (un-modified Can-Am bodies) for flat track races. Either way, the bottom line is that Bryan has an idea, and since it's just a monthly "club" race, I say "go for it". it's only their concern simply BECAUSE they're the only one running SCRRA rules, 

Maybe people running within the IRRA rules format should (just for giggles).to do that same modification and see what their results are.

• Tom Eatherly likes this
Jeff Bigelow
"It's not about winning or losing the race,
it's about how good you look for the concours judge"

#55 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• 8,817 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 12:14 PM

NO, Jeff; do NOT try to put the fire out! This has NOTHING to do with the rest of us(non-BP racers) and we DEMAND the right to complain and argue about stuff that doesn't affect us in the LEAST! We're 'Muricans, by God!  :laugh2:

• Tim Neja and Mike Patterson like this
Richard L. Hofer

Remember, two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do! Only you're a block over and a block behind.

#56 smokie

smokie

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 05:40 PM

I'm just sayin', Tex...lol

I found myself getting caught up in all the INSANITY (even though it was quite funny) with the thought of a McLaren M8a with side dams on it...it takes me back a few light years to the early wing car bodies we ran, and the very first wing jobs guys glued/stapled to those bodies. The picture that Bryan published at the start of this thread took me back to those days.... And I just couldn't help myself. If BPR wants to make the McLaren handle like that promiscuous Ti22, then let'em rip....

Jeff Bigelow
"It's not about winning or losing the race,
it's about how good you look for the concours judge"

#57 GT40

GT40

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 12:08 AM

It's nice to have variety in bodies. Is this the way to get it?

I don't know, but it sure feels like history repeating itself. I remember when I was racing around 1970 or so we started taping and stapling airfoil bits to the bodies. Being a kid, I just wanted to go faster, so I did it too.

There is maybe a bit of irony here: If the goal is to get more variety of bodies, presumably for appearance sake, and it's proposed to tack on diaplanes, spoilers and side dams to the less popular bodes to make them "more competitive," what have you gained? That stuff hanging off the body doesn't improve the appearance (in my opinion)

I predict that opening this door will almost certainly, in very short order, fundamentally change So Cal racing and will spread throughout the retro racing world.

Will we see the inline Wing car by the end of the year?
  • tonyp and Tim Neja like this
Steve Walker
"It's hard to make things foolproof because fools are so ingenious..."

#58 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• 8,817 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 11:57 AM

I personally don't think it will spread throughout the retro racing world; I think it will remain a SoCal BP anomoly only. If the basic premise was to get closer to parity between the Ti-22's and all OTHER bodies, an alternate take could have been to do away with spoilers on the Ti-22's(or reduce Ti-22 spoiler height... 1/4"?... 1/8"?) and all other bodies retain their 1/2" spoiler. And I bet that idea was bandied about... and shot down(?). I hope to attend the 2017 CP next January. If the now "local race only" new aero package is implemented for next year's CP, will I go? Hell YEAH, I'll go! I won't let something like that prevent me from racing against many of the best retro racers around. Of course, I'm pretty crappy at mounting bodies and I bet I'd be just as feeble at attaching the dams/diaplane. I may have to resort to paying someone to do a proper job of it(again, IF new aero implemented at the big BP races).

Richard L. Hofer

Remember, two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do! Only you're a block over and a block behind.

#59 Bryan Warmack

Bryan Warmack

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,231 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 12:52 PM

It's nice to have variety in bodies. Is this the way to get it?

I don't know, but it sure feels like history repeating itself. I remember when I was racing around 1970 or so we started taping and stapling airfoil bits to the bodies. Being a kid, I just wanted to go faster, so I did it too.

There is maybe a bit of irony here: If the goal is to get more variety of bodies, presumably for appearance sake, and it's proposed to tack on diaplanes, spoilers and side dams to the less popular bodes to make them "more competitive," what have you gained? That stuff hanging off the body doesn't improve the appearance (in my opinion)

I predict that opening this door will almost certainly, in very short order, fundamentally change So Cal racing and will spread throughout the retro racing world.

Will we see the inline Wing car by the end of the year?

Steve,

Did you read anything I've said concerning this???  NOTHING is going to happen in short order and NOTHING is going to happen in the future and it certainly won't fundamentally change SoCal Retro racing or any Retro racing. It is already pretty much a non issue at BPR..............

And I don't believe for one minute this silliness will spread because like I said, it is only something being allowed at the MONTHLY races at BPR in the land of the fruits and nuts! :)

• Tim Neja likes this

#60 Mark Wampler

Mark Wampler

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,838 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 01:06 PM

Steve, yeah this is such a colorful local issue that has the world coming to an end very soon!  We should introduce Foster's "coupes" and see what a laugh we could get.  Turbo flex chassis fitted with Hawk 7's and Retro coupe bodies. We're the only ones (that I know of) who race these things.  

What would be cool would be a return to Retro inline thingies.  :D 

• Hack likes this
You can quote me.

-Mark

#61 A. J. Hoyt

A. J. Hoyt

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 01:12 PM

I have a suggestion that might ruffle some feathers but might end some myths, too. The BPR monthly racers should institute a handicap system that any racer that finishes in the top 4 of the A Main should be disallowed from running a Ti-22 body in future monthly races. This may show us what the "second best choice" would be, at least at BPR.

Don't be surprised if the A Main racers are still the same guys with the "second choice" bodies.

We could also make a rule that the top 4 A-Main racers can still run the Ti-22 bodies but without the rear spoiler. Again, unintended consequences, don't be surprised if the cars are faster due to lower drag!

In NASCAR, the races have tended to get better when the rule changes result in cars that are harder to drive and the (real) drivers tend to rise to the front and say they enjoy the racing experience more...    well, to a point, of course.

During my six years of Retro racing, my aspiration to be a mediocre racer has come and gone; my peers now assure me I have peaked (some time ago)!

The only thing I know about slot cars is if I had a good time when I leave the building! I can count the times I didn't on one hand!

Entitlement:
The notion that one can have their slot car racing and EAT IT, too!

Slot Car Speedway and Hobbies
, Longmont, CO, Home of the 155' Hillclimb track featuring the THUNDER-DONUT - "Two men enter; one man leaves!"

#62 tonyp

tonyp

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 13,385 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 01:55 PM

Personally I don't see anything wrong with a one body class. It has always been that way in slot car racing once we got past the lotus 40's and Lola's. If everyone runs the same ti22 it takes the body out of the equation especially for the newer racer. They have enough to figure out with chassis setup, gearing and tires.

If the problem is the unavailability of the chosen Ti22, make the Parma legal which is always available and looks more scale than the Kirby that is currently the west coast choice.

• MSwiss and usadar like this

"And if my thought-dreams could be seen they'd probably put my head in a guillotine. But it's alright, Ma, it's life, and life only." - Dylan

1965 "Evil Bucks Racer" Team
Revtech Team Trinity
Noose Painted Bodies
Retro East co-founder
American King track single lap world record holder & 40 minute total lap record
First IM Nationals Champion
Arco Champion
Car Model Magazine Series Amateur Champion
2016 ORS Anglewinder Constructors Championsh
ip

#63 Richard G With

Richard G With

Outside Agitator

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 02:11 PM

A.J.,

I think your NASCAR analogy is good. Reminds me how Kyle Busch continually trashed the new generations of cars while kicking most everyone's butt with same.

Back in the early seventies I stayed with a friend on the way to the infamous Ohio Coke race. He was going to a local race that night and showed off his latest innovation: a three wing air dam/spoiler that was the most outlandish air control I'd seen prior to what we no call "wings." He admitted that he didn't really expect it to work, the point was to see how long it would take the local racers to copy it.

OK, back to your regularly scheduled pogram, already in progress...

• Patrick Vaughn likes this

We must all do what we must do, for if we do not, then what we must do does not get done.  Chung Mee

Parkes, W. (Producer) & Meyer, N. (Director). (1985). Volunteers.[Motion picture]. United States: HBO.

#64 Mark Wampler

Mark Wampler

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,838 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 02:27 PM

In NASCAR, the races have tended to get better when the rule changes result in cars that are harder to drive and the (real) drivers tend to rise to the front and say they enjoy the racing experience more...    well, to a point, of course.

At BPR, the driver mentality differs between the King and Flat tracks. (IMO). A wing car track running slow cars is easy, easy compared to the Flatster where a driver's skill comes more into focus. 

Still, the Ti is the favorite for both tracks, but that is the basic common denominator.

You can quote me.

-Mark

#65 John Streisguth

John Streisguth

Johnny VW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,628 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 06:47 PM

I have a suggestion that might ruffle some feathers but might end some myths, too. The BPR monthly racers should institute a handicap system that any racer that finishes in the top 4 of the A Main should be disallowed from running a Ti-22 body in future monthly races. This may show us what the "second best choice" would be, at least at BPR.

Don't be surprised if the A Main racers are still the same guys with the "second choice" bodies.

We could also make a rule that the top 4 A-Main racers can still run the Ti-22 bodies but without the rear spoiler. Again, unintended consequences, don't be surprised if the cars are faster due to lower drag!

Duran won the last race with a Lola T-160, without the side dams.  He could probably win with the body mounted backwards.   :)

"Whatever..."

#66 John Gorski

John Gorski

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 07:38 PM

A fun look Back in a time far far away......When airdams & diaplanes ruled the universe....

Attached Images

• Emott1970hinsdalecar40013.jpg

• Tex and Patrick Vaughn like this
John Gorski, Jr.

Home of the Gorski Double-Micro Controller

#67 Half Fast

Half Fast

Keeper Of Odd Knowledge

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 07:59 PM

Duran won the last race with a Lola T-160, without the side dams.  He could probably win with the body mounted backwards.   :)

I believe Matt Bruce won a RE Can Am race at Port Jeff (another Gerding King) with the Lola as  well. Talent will out!

Cheers

Bill Botjer

Faster then, wiser now

#68 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,902 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 08:10 PM

I think someone previously stated that Duran could win with a body pulled off a brick.

• Jason Holmes likes this
Sam Levitch

When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything is a nail.
Support your local raceway, or you won't have one.
Slot cars are quad-pods.
Support your "Local Racer."
:laugh2:

#69 Tom Eatherly

Tom Eatherly

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 10:18 PM

I think Bryan has answered all these issues, as the side dam deal really seems to be a NON-ISSUE! Bryan has already stated that this was pretty much a trial type thing for the monthly races. Certainly not for our bigger events. Please, lets move along, there is nothing here.

• Gary Donahoe likes this
Tom Eatherly

#70 GT40

GT40

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 12:26 AM

Maybe Bryan meant to post this on April 1st? And my post #57 was a bit tongue-in-cheek :)

Even so, BPR started Retro and is still very influential. Once the genie is out of the bottle...
  • Patrick Vaughn likes this
Steve Walker
"It's hard to make things foolproof because fools are so ingenious..."

#71 Patrick Vaughn

Patrick Vaughn

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 12:01 AM

-

Electric Dreams Online Shop