No replies to this topic

#1 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,217 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 11:01 AM

Kurt Eernst, who writes for Hemmings Daily, finally reveals he's a closet slot car racer.

k1.jpg

"In the interest of full disclosure, I’ve been holding out on you. I’ve never discussed my collection of historically significant racing cars, nor have I revealed that I have access to my own year-round testing, development, and racing facility.

k2.jpg

The cars under my stewardship include a Lotus Type 49, as driven by Jim Clark in South Africa in 1968; the John Wyer Ford GT40 Mk I that won Le Mans in 1969; a short-tail Porsche 917, as driven by Helmut Marko and Gijs van Lennep in 1971; a Cobra Daytona Coupe, which finished second overall at the 24 Hours of Daytona in 1965; the Porsche 956 driven by Mario Andretti, Michael Andretti and Philippe Alliot to a third-place finish at Le Mans in 1983; and even a Bud Moore Trans Am Mustang, as raced by George Follmer. All are in good condition, though many carry the scars of on-track battles well fought, and all are exercised on a regular basis.

k3.jpg

As for the track, it’s a challenging mix of S-curves, interspersed by short straights and a pair of long straights, perfect for testing both acceleration and braking. Like the Nürburgring, run-off area isn’t exactly ample, forcing a driver to be atop his game when probing the limits of a car, as a careless application of throttle or a bit of too-late braking can have dire results. Unlike the ‘Ring, it’s even climate-controlled (when I remember to plug in the heater or fire up the wood stove), and it’s just steps away from the beer fridge."

Read the full confessional HERE.

• Noose and garyvmachines like this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

Electric Dreams Online Shop