4 replies to this topic

#1 rvec

rvec

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 07:22 PM

Our True Scale Sports Car class is relatively new. It is meant to include a myriad of choices of production cars that would not be competitive in our GT1/Group C classes. The class is based on Scholer/Plafit chassis with Deathstar or ProSlot sealed 16D motors. Over the past several months participants have built and raced several different makes/models with varying degrees of success. The jury is still out on the ultimate Sports Car, however, the Ferrari 458 seems like a very good choice to me. I think there are several reasons for this. First, the body is light. Second, the track is close to the maximum allowed in the class. Third, the wheel opens are large enough so that both the rear and front wheels can extend out to the edge of the bodywork. Most other models we have tried require that the front and rear wheels tuck under the bodywork. All that being said, it is fun experimenting with different makes and models.

As mentioned above, the class is for production sports cars (closed cars only no convertibles) using a production Scholer/Plafit chassis and Deathstar/ ProSlot sealed 16 D motor. The chassis may be fitted with custom brass front and side pans. Rear wheels must be at least an inch in diameter while front wheels must be at least 15/16 inch in diameter. Front and rear track is limited to 3.25 inches. It is interesting to note that we have also been running a Trans-Am class for some time and a simple body swap is all that is needed to convert a Trans-Am ride into a Sports Car. In order to keep it simple, we have outlawed cars like the Ferrari Enzo and La Ferrari. These two examples have a longer wheelbase and are more suited in terms of size and width to compete in the GT1/Group C class.
So far, the cars listed below have been accepted into the class. Some have actually been raced, while others have simply been built and tested.
  • Ferrari 458
  • Ferrari Modena Coupe
  • Ferrari F430
  • Jaguar XJ220 (1/25 scale only)
  • Ford GT
  • Audi
Each model is shown below. I intend to post images of all of the groups sports car rides in the Electron Raceway classes sub forum of the Electron Raceway forum. See the link http://slotblog.net/...aceway-classes/ but that is for another time.

458-1.JPG

RichsModena.jpg

JackFordGT.jpg

JacksAudi1.jpg

RichsXJ220.jpg

RonF430.jpg

Rich Vecchio

#2 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,325 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 07:51 PM

Rich, they're all beautiful cars. I really like Jack's Ford GT.

Bill Fernald

I intend to live forever!  So far, so good.  :laugh2:  :laugh2: 

#3 rvec

rvec

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 08:04 PM

Rich, they're all beautiful cars. I really like Jack's Ford GT.

The Ford GTs really look good. They have huge rear wheel openings so that the rear tires can take advantage of the full width of the bodywork. The disadvantage is that the car has a relatively narrow front end and the smaller wheel openings force the wheels to be mounted inboard. Here are a few images of my Ford GT

Attached Images

• P1010038.JPG
  • P1010037.JPG
  • P1010036.JPG

Rich Vecchio

#4 rvec

rvec

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 08:16 PM

BTW,
Below are a few images of the Scholer chassis with custom brass side and front pans

Attached Images

• P1010820.JPG
  • P1010819.JPG
  • P1010818.JPG
  • P1010817.JPG

Rich Vecchio

#5 rvec

rvec

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 10:05 AM

I have updated the True Scale Sports Car Class images to include all (I think) Sports car builds. See the link http://slotblog.net/...s-car/?p=594046.

Below are images of a couple of unusual builds

Attached Images

• RonsSkyline.jpg
  • JacksC5R.jpg

Rich Vecchio

Electric Dreams Online Shop