10 replies to this topic

#1 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,211 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 09:55 AM

A reporter for the small local "community" newspaper White House Connection visited SlotCars-R-Us "The Track" during the Hillbilly Nats this month and published this small article in the paper yesterday. As is usually the case with slot racing reportage, there are some inaccuracies (especially in the photo captions) but any publicity for the hobby is always good publicity.

Ready... Set... Race

by Savannah Eller

P1_copy.jpg

"At the beginning of the race, the cars line up. The drivers are tense; the crowd in suspense. The finals are on and the competition will be steep; earlier in the day records were broken in the qualifiers. The drivers are the best in the world; they have traveled from as far away as Brazil to be there. Many have raced since they were just boys.

The starting buzzer sounds and they are off, careening around curves at 80 mph. Suddenly, a car on the outer edge starts to smoke. It takes the next curve and – catastrophe – starts to tumble through the air, over the track edge, and into the crowd of bystanders. A sympathetic groan comes up from the crowd. Someone picks it up. The disappointed driver rushes over, intent on making repairs before the next heat.

Such was the scene Saturday before last at "The Track," a slot car racing facility in White House. The Track was hosting its first annual Hillbilly Nationals, a competition that brought in over a hundred of the most avid hobbyists (or professional drivers) from 18 states, Canada, and Brazil to race the most high-tech, expensive slot cars in production."

Click HERE to reaad the rest of the story.

• John C Martin likes this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#2 John M Wimett

John M Wimett

Rattle Can Racing CFO

• Subscriber
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 11:23 AM

The picture shows a corner marshal wearing latex gloves... for safety? Interesting because he is also wearing a large wristwatch.

The demise of our local track started with a lawsuit by a grandfather marshaling for his young grandson and reaching across the track claiming he received a shock when his wrist watch shorted out crossing a set of braids on the track.  Part of the claim was that his wrist was damp from perspiration, etc. 

The lawsuit was eventually defeated after four years, but of course the insurance company for the business where track was located was not happy, experts were sent in, etc. The owner lost heart in dealing with all the harassment.

Word to the wise.. .when we do race at this track everyone removes their jewelry, tucks in their baggy shirts, etc., before racing starts... especially the corner marshals.

• triggerman and NSwanberg like this

John M Wimett

Rattle Can Racing

"Speed costs money....how fast do you want to go?"

#3 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 21,211 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 11:42 AM

Interesting, John. The story you relate is not one I have heard before.

I too was surprised to see a lot of the wing car guys wearing latex gloves. I didn't ask, but feel it is because they didn't want to get traction glue on their hands.

Anyone know if this is the reason gloves are worn?

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#4 Half Fast

Half Fast

Keeper Of Odd Knowledge

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 12:16 PM

Greg you are right, the gloves are for the glue, not for lawsuit protection from 13 volts.

Cheers

Bill Botjer

Faster then, wiser now

#5 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 16,976 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 12:16 PM

IMO, there might of been a spark, but I doubt the guy got a shock. He probably just saw an opportunity for a money grab.

Whenever I see a parent concerned about a kid getting his own car,I wet my finger and put it across both braid, while I drive a car around. I don't feel anything (no jokes necessary)

The original reason for the latex gloves was to protect against acid flux.

BP wing racer, Carlos Aloise was the first guy seen with them.

Not sure if glue is also a reason.

Mike Swiss
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990)

Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder (pointless era - LOL)

Chicagoland Raceway
17B West Ogden Ave
Westmont, IL 60559
(708) 203-8003
mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address) 
Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516. Make checks out to Chicagoland Woodworking, Inc.

#6 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 16,976 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 12:25 PM

From the Koford catalog:

M638 Blue Nitrile gloves to keep your hands clean at races or when building. $1.98 pair(6 per card).

Mike Swiss

Chicagoland Raceway
17B West Ogden Ave
Westmont, IL 60559
(708) 203-8003
Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516. Make checks out to Chicagoland Woodworking, Inc.

#7 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Subscriber
  • 11,815 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 12:33 PM

Looks like Beuf's right arm to me.

Paul Wolcott

#8 John M Wimett

John M Wimett

Rattle Can Racing CFO

• Subscriber
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 03:46 PM

I forgot to mention that it was a great article to be published in any newspaper. Positive publicity or any publicity on our sport is great!

The grandfather mentioned above was after the money, turns out he had been involved in many lawsuits. My guess was to support his retirement.

I didn't realize that was Beuf's arm in picture until I read rest of article and saw picture of him at his pit table.

Oops... so much of our activity working on slot cars requires a sense of touch... if it feels right it is good. I think you would lose that with gloves.

I wear them when working on full size cars all the time, but the tools are much bigger!

John M Wimett

Rattle Can Racing

"Speed costs money....how fast do you want to go?"

#9 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Subscriber
  • 11,815 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 04:04 PM

I highly doubt Beuf is having a problem with either his wristwatch or his gloves. :D

Koford slot car gloves are, no doubt, much higher quality than your basic latex glove.
Paul Wolcott

#10 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 16,976 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 04:12 PM

Oops... so much of our activity working on slot cars requires a sense of touch... if it feels right it is good. I think you would lose that with gloves.

I agree.

From working at Koford and gluing magnets into set-ups, frequently, I became allergic to the epoxy. My eyes would get real itchy.

I tried several types of gloves and just couldn't do it, especially, with thin center segments for cobalt motors.

Mike Swiss

Chicagoland Raceway
17B West Ogden Ave
Westmont, IL 60559
(708) 203-8003

#11 don.siegel

don.siegel

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,657 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 04:26 AM

It does sound like Gramps was going for the gold, but a shock is possible. 

A couple years ago I was marshalling a vintage race in Belgium (American Yellow track in Nieuport), and a car came off that had a metallic grille, which also fell off at the same time - not sure exactly what happened, but I think I touched the grille at the same time it touched the two braids, and I got a nice little burn on my finger! 

But I forgot to sue - darn! 

Don 

Electric Dreams Online Shop