2 replies to this topic

#1 don.siegel

don.siegel

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,849 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 12:05 PM

Thanks to the alert eyes of a buddy here in France, found these on a Japanese auction site, and they finally made it here, after a long and expensive trip through customs. 

Offhand, from the photos I thought some kind of Japanese version of the Revell Cobra, but they seem somewhat different - haven't compared the bodies yet. 

Any ideas? They may be on Bernard's Slot Car Museum, but wasn't sure where to start! 

I'm assuming the transformer and controllers that came in the lot go with the cars...

Family%20motor%20racing%20transfo_zpsmd4

Family%20Cobras_zpskomkc7lg.jpg

Don't know if you can tell, but the driver's head is really odd! Kind of flattened and very small, not like the Revell Mr. Smiley or the Monogram skull head...

Family%20Cobra%20driver_zpsip7jjobi.jpg

Family%20Cobra%20bottom_zpsughf6jvt.jpg

Family%20Cobra%20open_zpsw24f0quv.jpg

Don

#2 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,424 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 01:37 PM

Don, you must have missed some of my postings a while ago. These are indeed copies of Revell Cobra cars, but have a plastic chassis shaped like the aluminum job on the Revell cars. The bodies are obvious clones with minor detail differences. The manufacturing company was Japanese and its name was Daiwa.

As far as is known at this time, they were only sold assembled, inside a racing set, with sole responsibility for the customer to apply the clear-plastic and chrome bits and decals. The set contained one chrome and one gold car.

dai1.jpg

#3 don.siegel

don.siegel

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,849 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 02:02 PM

Ah, thanks Philippe - either I missed them, or had already forgotten about that post, which seems more likely! I remember what happened 50 years ago pretty well, but last year is another kettle of fish! 

Hmm, my drivers are not chromed, but in the original muddy brown like the chassis... 

Don 

Electric Dreams Online Shop