• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tlbrace

tlbrace

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 04:32 PM

Does anyone have any idea of the RPM rating for the open pole motors Atlas used in its 1/32 kit cars (Ford GT, Porsche 904)? I think they used the 12 volt, not the 6 volt motor in the kits.

T
Todd Brace

#2 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,256 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 06:32 PM

Todd,

RPM ratings are kinda funny, in that they are commonly used in Europe these days but rarely given as part of a motor's specs in the US.

The vintage stuff you're asking about – I don't know that 'official' RPM ratings were ever published for those motors. PdL or Don Siegl would be the guys to know, I think.

Of course, anyone with a decent tach can tell you what a particular motor turns at a certain voltage, but that's not IMO the same as a manufacturer's 'rating.'

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#3 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,181 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 06:49 PM

When looking for speed you want the motor rated at a lower voltage. I just picked up a bunch of 6v five-pole Tyco arms.
Sam Levitch

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters, and if you do not have integrity, nothing else matters."
    Robert Mueller, special counsel (2013)

#4 tlbrace

tlbrace

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 07:36 PM

Thanks, guys.

Our club has a class that allows a motor at 14.7K RPM or less. It's a pre '61 sports car class. Being a Lotus fan, I'd like to use a 7 that I built some time ago: a Scalex Lotus 7 with an Atlas chassis/motor grafted in. Didn't really expect to find an rpm rating on a 50-year old motor, but hoping that maybe somebody might have it.

Todd Brace

#5 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,131 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 08:04 PM

Todd,

Atlas lists the motor at 8 volt on the box. No RPM listed anywhere I can see. If I find it somewhere else I'll advise.

Most of the motors like this back in the day were listed at about 15 to 20K RPM. Don't know how true or ambitious that was, mostly nonsense to sell cars and motors.

Go ahead and use it, if it beats all the other guys in the club just tell them you won't squeeze the trigger all the way next time.  :)
  • Cheater and garyvmachines like this

Joe Lupo

#6 tlbrace

tlbrace

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 08:21 PM

Well played, sir. Will follow your advice!

• Cheater and garyvmachines like this
Todd Brace

Electric Dreams Online Shop