13 replies to this topic

#1 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,256 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 01:51 PM

Annoying music and narration, but what a race track!

• C. J. Bupgoo likes this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#2 Dushkwoneshe

Dushkwoneshe

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 02:35 PM

Annoying music and narration, but what a race track!

Oh, my... You've never been correct-er, Greg... Wow... Great airborne shot...

Rammstein's *Du Hast (Mich) - You Have (Me)* is perfect for this at 3 minutes, 55 seconds...

*Du Hast (Mich)*  :music:  :music:  :music: 

John

Engine sounds would have been better, though...

John Wheeler

Certified Trigger-Finger Fitness Trainer

#3 Jaz

Jaz

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 04:41 PM

I dug the music... very '60s!!!

Amazing those skinny little tires could hold the track!

When you watch current videos of the track it seems almost impossible they could get around back then with a reasonable time.

Jeff Morris

"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over." Fuds 1st law of opposition

#4 NY Nick

NY Nick

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 04:49 PM

Thank for posting.

This is before it was shortened.

Nick Cerulli

#5 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 22,256 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 05:12 PM

Yep, according to Wikipedia, in 1967 the circuit used was 14.2 miles long, with 160 turns, assuming the GP used the 'North Loop' or Nordschleife.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#6 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 05:13 PM

VW Bug front suspension and very short nose. I'm thinking the "camera car" is an F-500 car, which in no way should be able to keep up with the Lola. Also a little unsure about the racing line.

#7 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 22,256 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 05:16 PM

Yeah, the Lola does pull away quite rapidly on the straights in that video. Definitely a VW-based camera car...

Gregory Wells

#8 Slot Car Mods Magazine

Slot Car Mods Magazine

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 05:41 PM

I enjoyed that, thanks for posting it...

Ron Todhunter
-----------------------------------------
SLOT CAR MODS MAGAZINE
"Everybody's Slot Car Magazine"
info@slotcarmods.com
-----------------------------------------

#9 proptop

proptop

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 05:46 PM

Cool!

I've been trying to accumulate some computer components necessary to run "Grand Prix Legends" and some of the other racing sims.

There are some really devoted computer guys who have modified the GPL sim over the years, and developed the scenery, the cars, drivers, etc,. etc., and made it much smoother...

Type Grand Prix Legends in YouTube and check out dannykarnage and his lap around the Nurburgring in the '67 Eagle (Weslake V-12). From what I have read, they sampled the sounds of the actual engines for the Eagle, and Jim Clark's Lotus 49 with the early Ford Cosworth, and several others.

Are there any of youze guys out there in Slotblog land that are into the simulators?

I am just getting started with a simulator set-up... and have been wondering if there would be any interest here... discussions... threads... etc.

Is this a good place to post this, Greg, or ?
Tom Hemmes
Insert witty phrase here...

#10 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 22,256 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 05:47 PM

Rod,

There's lots of good material posted in this Historic Racing Videos subforum, if you want to waste some time... LOL!

Gregory Wells

#11 Half Fast

Half Fast

Keeper Of Odd Knowledge

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 06:01 PM

The camera car is a Formula Vee of that era.

Cheers,

Bill Botjer

Faster then, wiser now

#12 Buffalo 66

Buffalo 66

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 06:59 PM

Really enjoyed the video. At least it wasn't the usual Techno music.

There's a great video of a Porsche 956 or 962 but it might be on the short (emasculated) circuit. 

Did a paper as a HS Junior on the 'Ring. Only "A" I ever got taking German. 

The Nurburgring was the setting for the great M-B vs Auto Union rivalry to get Third Reich cash.

Talk about dirty money. 

Paul Rogers

The Bog wants a Porsche!

#13 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 22,256 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 07:07 PM

Is this a good place to post this, Greg, or ?

Tom, the only members who will see your post are those who come to watch the video. You'll get more eyeballs and responses elsewhere.

Make a new post, with a subject line mentioning racing sims, in either 1:1 Racing and Rides or Non-Slot Models, Toys, etc. Those would be my suggestions.

Gregory Wells

#14 Jay Guard

Jay Guard

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 09:13 PM

I've driven a couple of laps of the famous Nordshleilfe in my Ruf-prepped 911SC and it is nothing short of awesome!!!  Kind of a funny story of how that came about though.  

During one of my overseas assignments at the Lockheed Martin Pershing Missile Depot in Frankfurt, Germany, my wife and I went to a vintage race car meet held at the Nurburgring.  

While trying to drive over the track and park in the infield I got into the wrong lane and found that much to my surprise I was now going for a lap on the famous long circuit, well COOL! The attendant simply said, "Eine Runde Zwoelf Mark" (one lap twelve marks) and now I was on the track and ready to go! Hey, I thought I was going pretty good until a guy on a motorcycle with a girl on the back passed me like I was standing still. Then came the VW turbo Golf in a four wheel slide past me; guess I wasn't quite as fast as I thought. Then came the Carousel and I totally chickened out and went around the outside without even dropping into the hugely banked inner turn.  I took a second lap but still had no idea what to do with the small or big carousel.  

After that a Porsche Club buddy of mine took me for a lap of the Nordshiefe in his race prepared 914-6. That was scary but the worse part was after cresting a hill after a turn we were sliding sideways down the track at about a hundred MPH. I was looking down the track out of my right side window and wondering how this was going to turn out. The driver simply said. "Hmm, I wonder why it that did that." He then tweaked the wheel and straight away we went at a ridiculous rate; no VW Golf or motorcycle passed us this time!  

All I can say if you ever get a chance to take a couple of laps on that track just go for it. It will probably scare the sh&t out of you but it's an experience you'll never forget!
  • Cheater likes this

Jay Guard
Retro Racer &
Flat Track Fanatic

Electric Dreams Online Shop