Photo

When a Cox Gurney Galaxie is not a Gurney Galaxie...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 geardriven

geardriven

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 04:53 PM

I have pondered this thought on both sides of the fence and have considered these two replies/results...

1) Sure... it had been done before... I have one right now with... or... I used to have one with...

2) What are your doing!!! Are you trying to wake the Cox gods and upset them...???

My situation...

I have acquired a very nice Cox Gurney Galaxie complete frame... tip to stern... pickup flag to 39t crown gear... nice front aluminum wheels with correct Dunlop "skinnies" on a freewheeling axle with spinners and correct rear spongies. The only thing I can say is it is missing the pickup arm rubber band, the motor leads are routed incorrectly to the guide, and the frame has received a solder joint repair (nicely done) on one of the body mount outriggers to the frame.

My situation is I do not have a body... and on another note, I am deep into the creation of this exact car on an AMT flat pan chassis.

So I raise my question, hoping not get "booood" off the stage nor struck by a bolt of lightning from one of the gods.

My desire...

I would like to install a different body onto the chassis and depict another famous driver from the same race era. I am a Pontiac guy and I would like to replicate a stock car driven by the famous, Cotton Owens. Mobieus has recently come out with the 1961 Pontiac Ventura which "Cotton" ran during the heyday. I did not have an opportunity to fit the body to the frame and I not aware of scale accuracy, but the start of this possibility is the '65 Ford Galaxie and '61 Pontiac Ventura wheelbase are exactly the same at 114 inches. My other concern would be the width and contour of the body sides.

I do not want to modify nor desecrate the frame, so if I have a good fit I would like to know how to create the body mounting slots as found in the original Cox Galaxie body. 

If anyone has performed this type of mounting, I could use some help, ideas, suggestions, pictures, etc... any information in doing it or suggestions against it... even other ideas about other bodies would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Geardriven 

Chuck Tresp

#2 MattD

MattD

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,561 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 05:54 PM

It's a toy, have fun. You don't have the only one in existence!
  • Cheater likes this

Matt Bishop

#3 hiline2

hiline2

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 09:26 PM

Just do it.  :D

• Cheater likes this
Paul Bass

#4 Detroit Dave

Detroit Dave

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 11:13 AM

I agree with the others. Go ahead and make the Cotton Owens car!  

I am in the process of creating the Gurney car and struggled with the same questions. For me, I saw the video of the Riverside race and was sold then on the Gurney car. I did however consider Foyt's car which was shown sailing through the air after hitting the dirt!

I determined where I wanted to cut the slots in the body side by setting the body at the height I thought looked correct and then laid the chassis alongside minus the guide flag but my wheels and tires on. Used a pencil to mark the position of tabs and then drilled two small holes at each end of the line. Then I slowly used a file to enlarge the size of slots until they fit the tabs of the chassis.

030.jpg

Dave Roberts

#5 Detroit Dave

Detroit Dave

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 12:39 PM

On the track now 

Attached Images

• Race fan.jpg

• hiline2 likes this