4 replies to this topic

#1 Arne Saknussem

Arne Saknussem

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 03:12 PM

I have been to a grand total of three IRRA®-run events. One was the Fall Brawl of two years ago (where I was a hazard to competitors and spectators alike). I got there via my local track (Fast Tracks in Bechtelsville) which had a very nice Retro group. The guys were having what looked like a great time and that caused me to reverse my original reluctance and join the fun. The Puppy Dog was my choice of motor. After the usual mucking about, I did well with it but soon switched to the TSR or Falcon as I got tired of losing ten feet every time there was a track call (and there were many as we were chronically short of turn marshals). The Retro Hawk eventually eliminated the PD from my program.

As far as the Puppy Dog is concerned, the potential for mischief (perceived as well as actual) was its downfall in my opinion. Yes, accusations of personal biases have been raised but the fact remains that a large number of participants expressed little to no confidence in the system as it was. No matter which side your on as far as that goes, bear in mind that Hitler's dog liked him a lot.

SImilarly, the elimination of the 4002FK has elicited protests from some, and given the very limited application that motor has in IRRA® racing I suppose I see why. But if I may digress slightly, I offer the following tale.  

I moved back to my old hometown here in Upstate NY last August. I found the only racing going on was either a Hardbody group or a spec sportscar class requiring an all-steel T-Flex, a PS4002FK, and a Parma Ti22 body. So that's what I race locally and, except for that damned motor and its tendency to come apart, the class is OK. If I were part of a rulesmaking body (and be happy I'm not) the PS4002FK would be about my last choice for a spec motor.

NOTE: I have long advocated the Puppy Dog's rehabilitation as the sole motor in a no-seal class. I've received no support from anyone on that idea but I feel obliged to mention it if for no other reason than personal consistency.

• Ramcatlarry, tonyp, Les Boyd and 1 other like this

Pete Varlan

"A friend to many, a nightmare to many more."

#2 NY Nick

NY Nick

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 04:23 PM

I think a no-seal Puppy Dog would be a lot of fun.
Nick Cerulli

#3 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,768 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 04:25 PM

Then convince a track owner to run that class for you and others who are interested in it.
  • Steve Deiters likes this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#4 Arne Saknussem

Arne Saknussem

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 05:30 PM

We did have such a class here for a while. I left the state for six years. For some reason (probably cost) I believe they went back to Deathstars (no seal).

The Deathstar is no more and, upon my return, I found that they had gone to the 4002FK.   :shok:    :bomb:  'Nuff said on that score.

I guess I'll just have to get in there and do it myself... maybe in the fall we can get something going.

Pete Varlan

"A friend to many, a nightmare to many more."

#5 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 08:17 PM

No matter which side your on as far as that goes, bear in mind that Hitler's dog liked him a lot.

And how did that work out for Blondi? :hang3:

Sam Levitch

When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything is a nail.
Support your local raceway, or you won't have one.
Slot cars are quad-pods.
Support your "Local Racer."
:laugh2:

Electric Dreams Online Shop