Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,545 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 03:19 PM

e·phem·er·a
əˈfem(ə)rə/
noun
1. things that exist or are used or enjoyed for only a short time.
2. items of collectible memorabilia, typically written or printed ones, that were originally expected to have only short-term usefulness or popularity.

I hear the word more commonly in the world of 1:1 car collecting, but it applies to slot car racing as well. 

Here's one piece of slot car ephemera.

timecard.jpg

pic from eBay

Anybody race there?

• MSwiss likes this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#2 Mike K

Mike K

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 03:24 PM

Yes, once. Dad took me there.
  • Cheater likes this

So much DRAMA for such small cars....
Mike Kravitz

Don't DQ me for having the wrong SHADE of orange on my McLaren... after all, it's ONLY a toy car!!!

#3 don.siegel

don.siegel

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 5,757 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 03:54 PM

Ah yes, right around the corner from where my brother lives now, in the neighboring suburb. In fact, this Tom Thumb's encapsulates the history of slot racing: it started out with seven tracks, then gradually got rid of them, one by one, as the fad hobby aspect died out... the store was huge, and they basically converted into a craft, R/C, and skateboard store, with a small stock of regular hobby parts, even some slot car stuff. I would go there every year when I visited my brother, stock up on K&S brass, and see if Glenn, their slot car guy, had dragged any interesting parts up from the basement... Not sure when they sold the last track, maybe somebody here knows - Mike? 

They finally closed about two years ago, and the only reason they survived that long was that they owned the building - a huge piece of real estate in a pretty well-to-do suburb (Evanston is home to Northwestern University, although it's at the other end of the city). Either the owners got old, or died, or just decided it wasn't worth it any more, at least in that building - seems they moved to a smaller shop further north, in another suburb I think. Haven't been there yet... 

Greg, I know that's not the subject of the thread, and in fact I have a whole folder full of slot car ephemera, which I will gradually drag out and scan... 

Don 

• Cheater and MSwiss like this

#4 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,622 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 03:55 PM

My sister-in-law's, that lives in Colorado, best friend was the owner, Art Harris's, significant other/mother of his son.

By the time my group of guys got cars and were mobile enough to get there, they were down to two or three tracks. I remember driving a Champion G20 around the American Red, just as wrap-around spoilers got popular.

As Don mentioned, they were phasing in heavily into crafts and skakeboards, retailing and wholesaling both, while also staying a full line hobby shop. I would visit them periodically, to pick up HO stuff.

The last track they held on to was an American Orange.

I remember seeing Bud Bartos's name as a record holder on that track.

I eventually serviced them when I worked for a hobby wholesaler. I visited them in 2007, right before the first Sano, when I purchased a car in that area. I could tell things were winding down.

Last I heard they moved to an industrial location in an adjacent suburb, after their large space was subdivided for two restaurants. I'm not quite sure when or if Art sold the building. I was under the impression Art was no longer involved in day to day operations.

Probably more than most people cared to know, but that's the story.

• Cheater and garyvmachines like this

Mike Swiss

Inventor of the Low CG guide flag 4/20/18
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 692 Citadel Drive, Westmont, Illinois 60559

#5 Eddie Fleming

Eddie Fleming

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,759 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 04:02 PM

i count $3.35 remaining. At today's rates you should get about a lap and a half.  :)

• garyvmachines likes this
Eddie Fleming

#6 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,545 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 08:11 AM

Greg, I know that's not the subject of the thread, and in fact I have a whole folder full of slot car ephemera, which I will gradually drag out and scan...

Not a problem. This is the History subfolder and you know we're not super-picky about thread drift at Slotblog.

Bring it on... I probably have some more myself.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#7 don.siegel

don.siegel

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 5,757 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 09:13 AM

A couple more miscellaneous time slips and cards from raceways: 

ephemera%201_zpslrwk9km6.jpg

#8 don.siegel

don.siegel

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 5,757 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 10:54 AM

A few more, from my collection; I didn't really set out to collect ephemera per se, but a lot of these little bits come in big lots and occasionally I see something that seems important to the collection: stickers, post cards, flyers, etc. 

ephemera4_zpsxu1e6tpr.jpg

ephemera2_zpsemactthd.jpg

ephemera3_zps5yq0jqfp.jpg

#9 gc4895

gc4895

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 12:18 PM

I lived a few blocks away from Tom Thumb during 1973-77 while I attended Northwestern University. I remember going in there and checking the place out.

My recollection is there was only one track left in the store at that time. As a "starving college student" I had no discretionary income for racing and no time at that point in my life for anything beyond school. 

I just remember that it seemed slot racing was on the way out and the store was transitioning over to other hobbies.

Mark Bauer

#10 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,622 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 12:51 PM

Don,

My sister-in-law is in for Easter and staying with us, so I got the update on the owner, Art.

He is alive, apparently real well off, and living in the toney suburb of Bannockburn. Doing a little Googling, he and his partner apparently sold the building at the time of the move in 2014. I'm guessing a space that size, in that area, is a million bucks, possibly more. There was mention of it being subdivided into two 2,500 sq. ft. restaurant spaces. It seemed bigger.

At 5,000 sq. ft., seven tracks seems to be a stretch. Sano Dave talked about remembering four tracks.

He was always real curious about the origin of a large blue track that was there when he raced in an enduro. It wasn't a King, and he remembers being impressed with both its size and quality of construction.

I also remember the occasional vintage part sitting in their showcase.

I can recall seeing the TN on a Team Nutley chassis piece, on the late '90s, possibly this century.

Mike Swiss

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 692 Citadel Drive, Westmont, Illinois 60559

#11 don.siegel

don.siegel

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 5,757 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 01:02 PM

Thanks for the info, Mike - seems logical! 

I'll see if I can scare up an article in an old hobby trade magazine about Tom Thumb - I even sent a copy to the old-timers at the store a few years ago, and they were very touched... I had always heard seven tracks in the beginning, but couldn't go there as a kid - too far away, and we were on the south side – so mostly stayed there... 

Don

#12 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 01:11 PM

... so I got the update on the owner, Art. He is alive, apparently real well off...

He got out just in time. ;-)

Dennis David

#13 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,622 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 01:26 PM

If they started as a raceway only, seven tracks is possible.

My friend, Ron, from Hobby Service & Supply, would talk about the old days at TT.

"Art's girlfriend, this tall blonde, who would wear these short skirts, was always on a stool, by the big bank of timers, with a look on her face like she wished she was somewhere else."

A slot racer friend of mine told me once his best friend made $25K one year while in high school, assembling skateboards for Art/Tom Thumb, after school.

Mike Swiss

#14 Steve Ogilvie

Steve Ogilvie

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 09:52 PM

We built a track for the 1997 ISRA Worlds. We went over and put the track together for a warm-up race in a hospital auditorium.

I found this little box sticker when I was going through a box of slot stuff today:

IMG_5015.JPG

• Cheater likes this

Electric Dreams Online Shop