• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#51 Mach9

Mach9

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 09:38 AM

I figured Steve would bust me on the pi thing. LOL. I went back and redid my calculations. As a little test, I did the calculations for a 2" radius cone with a 45 deg. angle, drew it up on AutoCad, printed it out and cut it out with a pair of scissors. I glued the two ends together matching the lines up and out came a perfect 45 deg. cone that was within a few thou. of 4" at the large end. The math works!

The great thing about a CAD drawing  is, you don't have to worry about scale while you're drawing. When I draw a track, I just mark the centers of where each corner will be, draw circles that are the outside and inside diameters of each turn, and then just connect the turns with straight lines. Go back and trim away the parts of the circles you don't need and you have an outline of the track. Then, you can use the dimension functions to get all of the angles/sizes of each piece. The program does the math. Thanks again for all of your help.

Mack Johnson
'86 Mustang footbraker
6.435 @ 104 MPH
NC Slot Car Tracks - Past and Present

#52 LolaGT

LolaGT

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Subscriber
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 04:37 AM

Thank you Mr. Ogilvie for showing us how to build our own tracks, so now I'm thinking about fourlane routed track plans all day. :)

I'm having problems visualizing how your circle cutter works for some reason. I see the two holes at right for making the track width, and the plate at left the router sits on. I take it the gap in the center is for making different sized curves by moving the router's plate in this space toward or away from the pivot points.

So, how do you keep the router's plate locked at the place it needs to be at for a certain size of curve? Are the aluminum C sections drilled every 1/4" or so all the way lengthwise down the section and bolts run into the router's plate through them? Or is the aluminum just threaded for setscrews?

Thank you,

Ken

Ken Lyons

#53 Steve Ogilvie

Steve Ogilvie

Mid-Pack Racer

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 09:53 AM

I first started with a small sliding tube clamp. But I found it bent too easily so I just drilled holes for screws as needed .After a while , I had all the holes I needed and I could just take the screws in and out .Use a 1/8" drill bit for drilling the holes and #8 wood screws to hold the router plate in place. Using 4 screws prevents the router from twisting, but I only found this was needed as the jig got older. Thanks for the question, there is stuff that I forgot to mention so it is great when people ask about it .  Steve 

#54 LolaGT

LolaGT

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Subscriber
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 04:05 PM

Mr. Ogilvie,

I'm working on making one for the track I'm hoping to make this summer, so I wanted to get all the details down. Now I can see where I was wrong.

Thank you, ken
Ken Lyons

#55 woodman

woodman

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 01:45 PM

Steve, I have built a few tracks since the 80s , but I find using a flexible fence really intriguing.....For my latest D Oval I wanted to increase the radius as the as the cars exit a turn. Where the radius of the Exit of the turn is larger than the Entry of the turn. Therefore the Entry is usually much slower than the Exit, allowing you to accelerate harder on Exit.
This enables the car to accelerate in a forward moving yet sideways controlled slide .....

Steve Crawford....

FB_IMG_1485839762351.jpg

Attached Images

• FB_IMG_1485839778079.jpg

Steve Crawford

Tracks
Kayak builds

#56 Steve Ogilvie

Steve Ogilvie

Mid-Pack Racer

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 02:10 PM

So will this be a flat or a banked track? You can do the same thing by varying your radius when you cut your corners. But I like the flexibility of the guide fence idea, would be a way to set the skid apron up any way you want. I would not use a fence myself just because it would slow me down time wise.

#57 woodman

woodman

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 03:34 PM

I built it flat, the lane spacing varies, it has a squeeze at one end......

Video's. https://youtu.be/aDbTjqz9NCA

http://s147.photobuc...l?sort=3&page=1

http://s147.photobuc...l?sort=3&page=1

IMG_20170304_145111_zpsssvlhy2p.jpg
Steve Crawford

Tracks
Kayak builds

#58 Steve Ogilvie

Steve Ogilvie

Mid-Pack Racer

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 10:06 PM

Love the videos. Did you have a go pro on a car ?

#59 woodman

woodman

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:40 PM

Steve I used just a $20. Mini cam...
Steve Crawford

Tracks
Kayak builds

#60 woodman

woodman

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 02:14 PM

In the 80s I made this router jig for cutting the braid recesses...just a pin on either side if the bit...
tn_100_4500_zps2fe83f2a (1) (1).jpg
Steve Crawford

Tracks
Kayak builds

#61 Steve Ogilvie

Steve Ogilvie

Mid-Pack Racer

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:32 PM

I used to use a similar system when I first started building tracks. The drawback is as you go around a corner, the relief is wider on one side than the other. The other disadvantage is that you can't spin the router as you go down the track without picking it up and turning it around. A pin in the centre of the bit is easy to make and works great. There is a how-to on page 1.

Electric Dreams Online Shop