#1 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,547 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 06:14 PM

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#2 Zippity

Zippity

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • 5,278 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 06:37 PM

What scale is this?

Ron Thornton

#3 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 6,803 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 06:45 PM

It's "O" gauge basically – Lionel and K-line three-rail stuff. Lionel called theirs 027 scale.
She's real fine, my 409!!!

#4 DPmax

DPmax

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 12:37 AM

My grandparents had a big Lionel 027 layout we'd setup around the Christmas tree every year when I was a kid.

Went around the tree, crossed back over and around the coffee table, then under the dining room table, next down the hall by the laundry area behind the kitchen and finally back through the side door into the living room by the tree.

I'd run that train for hours!!!

Max Bowers

#5 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 06:51 PM

Lionel three-rail would be considered a Toy Train layout but that's not meant as a derogatory term but rather a particular segment of the hobby. They definitly have a special appeal that's timeless. I could watch these all day long.

Dennis David

#6 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,928 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 04:44 PM

Thanks to K-Line and MTH, you can now get scale O-scale equipment to run on three-rail track. Very little of this stuff will run on O-27 track due to the 27 inch radius turns. You need O-72 curves to run it. There even is three rail flex track, if you are determined to go the three rail route.

Lionel O-27 is toy trains. It was intended as such from it's very beginnings. Surprisingly, those who collect O-27 make up the largest portion of the model train hobby. The most valuable items are from the tinplate era, and are made of pressed metal. 

Scale model railroading is geared towards people who want to built exact scale models of real railroads. There are national conventions with model contests (I've won a few) that are judged by panels of walking encyclopedias who know everything about the real trains, and carry volumes of reference materials to back up their decisions. So everything on the model has to be perfect.

A little over the moon, but different strokes for different folks.

#7 Joe Mig

Joe Mig

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 05:01 PM

Outstanding.
Joseph Migliaccio. Karma it's a wonderful thing.

"Drive it like you're in it!!!"

"If everything feels under control... you are not going fast enough!"

Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

#8 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 06:45 PM

Dave,

I also do model railroading besides slot cars and can attest to what you have stated. Not exactly sure why you would want to run O scale equipment on three-rail. Wouldn't you have to change all of your wheels sets to the higher profile?

Dennis David

#9 MattD

MattD

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,561 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 08:07 PM

True "O" scale does run on three rail track, as does O27. The difference between O27 and "O" is the height of the track I believe. I have run both scales on three rail "O" gauge track or on O27 track. Most guys prefer actually "O" gauge track, as it is heavier and all trains run smoother on it. "O" is much more in scale and detailed than O27, but there is some nice stuff made in O27. It is all good.

I limit my train collecting to just a few that are left from my uncle (bought in '51) and four-five other trains I collected from the '51-60 era that I particularly like.

P1010002.JPG

• Cheater likes this

Matt Bishop

#10 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,928 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 04:42 PM

There is room for everyone in toy trains/model railroading.

Three-rail was used even on scale O-scale equipment back in the beginning. Many of these layouts still exist. There also was outside third rail layouts. Before rim insulated wheels were developed, the third rail system was the easy way to avoid shorts through the engine frames and the trucks of the rolling stock.

Outside third rail was pretty rare, and most of these layouts were converted to two rail. It was actually pretty easy to convert the outside third rail track to two rail, but Lionel style three-rail involves completely rebuilding all the turnouts (switches).

Several manufacturers saw a market for RTR equipment for three-rail modellers. And they were right.  Bill Weaver was the first. K-Line was making primarily rolling stock for the O-27 crowd, and started making two rail scale versions of what they were already making. MTH got on the bandwagon next, and Atlas soon followed.

Now you can get three-rail versions of even the high end brass steam locos that retail at $5,000 and up.

#11 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 10:32 PM

Toy soldiers have scale figures and toy figures. I've always liked the gloss finish of the more traditional hollow cast style.

One of my favorite brands is Wm Hocker.

Dennis David

#12 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,547 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 09:29 AM

There is room for everyone in toy trains/model railroading.

And there is room for everyone in slot cars and slot car racing, too. But almost no one want to acknowledge that fact...

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#13 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,928 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 03:43 PM

And when I said there was room for everyone, I meant everyone.

Probably half of the married serious model railroaders also have their wives involved. The ladies like to do scenery and construct buildings. I have been on many layout tours where the wives, and even kids, have done amazing scenery.

What is the percentage of wives involved in slot racing with their husbands? I know of a few. There should be more.  

• Cheater likes this

Electric Dreams Online Shop