#1 Pete L.

Pete L.

Posting Leader

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 03:43 PM

Fellas,

The May meeting of the C.A.R.S. Vintage Slot Car Club takes place on May 5, 2016 at THE RACE PLACE Rt 33w in Farmingdale New Jersey at 7:30 PM.

Peter J. Linszky
6/30/54-6/27/22
Requiescat in Pace

#2 Pete L.

Pete L.

Posting Leader

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 10:40 AM

The C.A.R.S. guys got together last night despite poor weather AND a building project near The RACE PLACE that resulted in a blitz of detour signs in the immediate area...

I had arrived early with the intent of performing some mods on some of my Gran Prix cars in an attempt to give member Rodney a run for his money against his recently built vintage style GP cars.

If you recall Rodney had built two killer GP cars following the old school formula that we all know and love, that being brass rod chassis with an inline motor setup running 50 yr. old silicone tires.  The cars hustle around the at a great clip giving the members something to shoot for !

I had obtained a few sets of old timey silicone tires from fellow vintage buff Joe Lupo a while ago. I'd decided that the GP cars in my stable would be quick enough to keep pace with Rodney's cars if only I could muster the traction I felt would even things up. I installed the silicones on my Connaught and ran some laps prior to anyone's arrival with the thought that I'd be dialed in for the night. The Connaught is pictured below with the silicones in place trying to get dialed in.

It wasn't long 'til Rodney had one and then the other GP car in question out on the track. I didn't take long for me to realize that the mere installation of the silicones on my vintage "CLASSIC" factory car wouldn't be enough to overcome the speed/handling of Rodney's racer...so it's back to the drawing board !!!

Attached Images

• DSCN5701.JPG

Peter J. Linszky
6/30/54-6/27/22
Requiescat in Pace

#3 Pete L.

Pete L.

Posting Leader

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 10:52 AM

Fellas,

I also debuted a recently refurbished F-1 car that was acquired off of e-pay, a brass strap chassised car with early 16-D power and an apparent factory painted EAGLE V-12 body. The chassis lacked only lead wires and was of sound construction, again seemingly a factory built car that possibly someone here can I.D.

The foam tires on the car were in remarkably good condition and were left in place to see what they could do.

The car came with a vacu formed driver that was so brittle that handling produced splits and separation of bits and pieces 'til it was almost useless. It was replaced with a similar rebop that I painted years ago but never put to use.

Strategically placed stickers hide previous pinholes on the ancient butyrate body that does have several cracks here and there.

Attached Images

• DSCN5689.JPG
  • DSCN5697.JPG

Peter J. Linszky
6/30/54-6/27/22
Requiescat in Pace

#4 Pete L.

Pete L.

Posting Leader

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 10:59 AM

Here's a shot of the Eagle in action, slightly sideways. The old tires were more than adequate to get the car around at a good clip. Shortly into the shakedown run the car began to slow and was examined to find that the motor was running extremely hot...well look into some remedies and hopefully by the June meeting the car will be sorted out.

The next photo shows the Eagle and it's "tablemates" lined up and shined up for the photo session...

And finally, the red cars shot... 

Attached Images

• DSCN5698.JPG
  • DSCN5705.JPG
  • DSCN5703.JPG

• Tex likes this
Peter J. Linszky
6/30/54-6/27/22
Requiescat in Pace

#5 sportblazer350

sportblazer350

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 08:57 PM

nice grouping of cars!! As I am slowly organizing my basement slot car workshop, and unpacking boxes, I am finding much of my vintage cars and accumulations of parts. Need to organize a proper work table, soldering station, purchase a spray booth, and build a Carrera 4 lane 1/24 scale track. Found 2 vintage pit boxes with my C.A.R.S. Club Vintage cars! Now if I could find more hours in the days, more days in the weeks.... lol!!  :)

Glenn Orban
NJ Vintage Racing
NJ Scale Racing
C.A.R.S. Vintage Slot Car Club

#6 MattD

MattD

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,561 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 08:06 AM

Glenn this is my home made $20 spray booth. $10 fan from Walmart and $6 storage box, a couple furnace filters and your imagination.P1010001.JPG P1010003.JPG

Matt Bishop

Electric Dreams Online Shop