Photo

Pro Slot 4002FK suggested roll-out ratio?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 lucky77

lucky77

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 12:46 PM

Hi All, 

As many of you are probably well aware, ProSlot suggests an"overall gear ratio of 3.25 to 3.75 or to a "rollout" ratio of 4.25 to 4.50 "on their website for the 4002FK. Am I missing something? These ratios blow my mind. I've been running them with, say, .750 tires, @ 9/29 = 2.42 rollout ratio. To achieve their suggested rollout range with a 4.33, I'd have to run a 9/52 with the same tire size.

What gives?

Thanks in advance,

CJK

Chuck Kron

#2 John Streisguth

John Streisguth

Johnny VW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,638 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 12:55 PM

I think you're multiplying by the tire diameter when you should be dividing

"Whatever..."

#3 lucky77

lucky77

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 12:57 PM

I was using this roll-out ratio chart ... http://www.shoppscr....atio-chart.html

Chuck Kron

#4 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,623 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 12:57 PM

Try using this gear ratio/roll out chart.

http://proslot.com/g...?tiresize1=.750

This one produces results that make sense.

Mike Swiss

Inventor of the Low CG guide flag 4/20/18
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990), eight G7 main appearances
Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 692 Citadel Drive, Westmont, Illinois 60559

#5 lucky77

lucky77

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 01:09 PM

Thanks, Mike and John -- it appears as though, as John said, the chart I was referencing multiplies by the tire diameter instead of divides. I'm surprised the chart is still linked to their site and in use. Thank you both!

CJK

Chuck Kron

#6 Fast Freddie

Fast Freddie

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 02:51 PM

What Proslot says is a gear ratio "OR" a rollout ratio.  Doing only one or the other might not yield the results your looking for.  I make every attempt to get both ratios within the Proslot parameters.  You might be surprised in the results you get.

Fred Younkin

#7 Racer36

Racer36

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 03:18 PM

Couldn't find a math teacher at work to help you with that one Chuckles? Lol
  • lucky77 likes this

Dennis Dominey

Lifelong half-assed slot racer

#8 DOCinCanton

DOCinCanton

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 08:24 PM

In a recent 1 hour race, I ran a 12 on a 38 with 0.73" dia tires. I think that that works out to be a roll out ratio of 4.22. This is about as agressive as I want to go.

Doc Dougherty
GRRR 2016 GT Coupe and Stock Car Champion and Overall Champion
My Series Spring 2016 4" NASCAR, JK LMP State Champion, and Endurance State Champion
My Series 2015 4" NASCAR, GTP and Endurance State Champion
​GRRR 2015 4 1/2" and F1 Champion
​GRRR 2013 & 2014 Evil Flexi Champion
1968 Cleveland Car Model Series race winner - Tom Thumb Raceway, North Royalton, Ohio
​1968 Hinsdale ARCO Amateur runner-up
1967 Parma Raceway Indy 500 Champion

#9 Zippity

Zippity

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • 5,278 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 10:07 PM

Should the calculations be any different for angle winders?

I run 12/37 with .640" rubber on my Champion Turbo Flex LMP car.

According to Swiss' link, that gives me a ratio of 4.82 

The car goes better with .625" rubber - a ratio of 4.93

Is it just a matter of horses for courses? :)

Ron Thornton

#10 lucky77

lucky77

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 06:16 PM

Precisely, Dennis! That's why I'm a school counselor and not a math teacher. :]

• NSwanberg and Racer36 like this
Chuck Kron

#11 lucky77

lucky77

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 06:18 PM

So here's a question:

What would you say is a minimum and maximum rollout ratio for all of the classes of cars we race? 3.6 - Zippity's 4.93 (which is the highest I've ever heard of)? I ask because I'm working with an engineer who is building me a motor and chassis dyno, and he needs to know the range for the chassis dyno setup.

Thanks!,

CJK

Chuck Kron

#12 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,747 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 06:37 PM

Track design will dictate the numbers as well as car weight. On a banked track with a light car you can run lower numbers than with heavy cars on flat tracks.

• Les Boyd and DOCinCanton like this
Sam Levitch

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters, and if you do not have integrity, nothing else matters."
    Robert Mueller, special counsel (2013)

"... because people have got to know whether or not their president is a crook."
    Richard M .Nixon, Nov 17, 1973

"Fool me once, same on... shame on you. Fool me... you can't get fooled again."
    George W. Bush

#13 lucky77

lucky77

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 07:16 PM

Thanks Samiam -- yes, I am aware. I'm looking for a range across our hobby (accounting for different classes, different tracks, different power, etc.).

Chuck Kron

#14 Racer36

Racer36

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 09:53 PM

Chuck,
I was at 3.73 at Fantasy and the car was pretty darn good.

Dennis Dominey

Lifelong half-assed slot racer

#15 Les Boyd

Les Boyd

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 07:29 AM

So here's a question:

What would you say is a minimum and maximum rollout ratio for all of the classes of cars we race? 3.6 - Zippity's 4.93 (which is the highest I've ever heard of)? I ask because I'm working with an engineer who is building me a motor and chassis dyno, and he needs to know the range for the chassis dyno setup.

Thanks!,
CJK

They already have this where the track or class only allow one pinion, one crown or spur, and a minimum tire size. Like the FCR classes.

#16 lucky77

lucky77

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 04:11 PM

They already have this where the track or class only allow one pinion, one crown or spur, and a minimum tire size. Like the FCR classes.

Thanks, Les -- I think I'm probably not being as clear as I should be. I'm looking for what we think is the total actual range of rollout ratio across our entire hobby ... not specific to one class or one track. Like, if were were take every 1/24 scale car in the US and look for the low and high-end extreme of rollout ratio, what would they be?

Chuck Kron

#17 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,623 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 06:56 PM

If I understand this right, you are hoping this dyno will measure and give you useful results for every slot car application.

I don't see how that is realistic, especially when racers will tell you a motor in one type of car, will run great, but will be mediocre in another.

Or a motor at one track will run great, but will be mediocre at another.

I spent 19 years at Koford Eng., a fair amount of them, watching Stu get frustrated by dyno results and finally giving up on it for slot car applications.

I know that won't deter you or your engineer friend, but I think something more realistic would be to be able to tell with 98% certainty, how a certain type of SKU will run in a certain car at a certain track.

IOW, take 10-4002FK's, try them in the same car at the same time at the same track, get results, grade them 1-10, and have the engineer build a dyno that will garner the same 1-10 order.

• Tim Neja likes this

Mike Swiss

17B West Ogden Ave., Westmont, IL 60559, (708) 203-8003, mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address)

Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 692 Citadel Drive, Westmont, Illinois 60559

#18 lucky77

lucky77

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 09:09 PM

If I understand this right, you are hoping this dyno will measure and give you useful results for every slot car application.

I don't see how that is realistic, especially when racers will tell you a motor in one type of car, will run great, but will be mediocre in another.

Or a motor at one track will run great, but will be mediocre at another.

I spent 19 years at Koford Eng., a fair amount of them, watching Stu get frustrated by dyno results and finally giving up on it for slot car applications.

I know that won't deter you or your engineer friend, but I think something more realistic would be to be able to tell with 98% certainty, how a certain type of SKU will run in a certain car at a certain track.

IOW, take 10-4002FK's, try them in the same car at the same time at the same track, get results, grade them 1-10, and have the engineer build a dyno that will garner the same 1-10 order.

Hi Mike,

No, not necessarily every slot car application. Just a highly refined instrument to help take some of the guess work out of the process. This particular dyno uses a hysteresis brake (similar to the $27,500 one sold by Magtrol) and will acurately measure 5 points of data across the full RPM range (exclusing any RPMs near stall to prevent overheating) including: 1) Motor Efficiency, 2) Mechanical power, 3) Electrical power, 4) RPM, and 5) Torque. My hope is that, like I said, it will take some guess work out of the process (and prevent a lot of soldering and unsoldering to find out) -- especially when you have two motors that are almost identical. And, hopefully, with some use, I can get good enough to use the motor efficiency data to help predict how a motor might perform on one track versus another. 

Chuck Kron

#19 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• IRRA National Director
  • 25,623 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 02:34 PM

One the problems is you have the below scenario, recounted by top racer Will Brinkley , in a recent thread about breaking in motors.

"Here is the kicker though. My slowest motor at the Fall Brawl (lower voltage track I think) was the absolute best motor at the R4 (higher voltage track). It was a screamer too."

Each time you go to a new track, you'll still have to try every motor, if it's important to you that you have the absolute fastest motor, that you own, in your car that particular day.

As far as avoiding soldering motors in and out, I suggested to another racer, who trying to avoid applying heat to them, as much as possible, make a test car with a screw in motor bracket.

While I wouldn't race a 64p/72p gear/anglewinder style car,without soldering the motor in, for testing motors, it's probably fine.

Mike Swiss

Electric Dreams Online Shop