• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Allan Feldman

Allan Feldman

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 04:58 PM

I hope you can help I have recently purchased a semi-sealed card from a Monogram 1/32 car kit. The blister that has remained untouched has a FT16D motor in a very light shade of gray/silver (not chromed) for the casing and a white endbell. It's can drive and describes the motor on the card background as a Super X110.

I am trying to mate this carded parts with a 1/32 Monogram Lola T70.
1) I always thought the motor with this car had a red endbell?
2) I found a code number written on the side of the card 03203-011 this first number equates to the 1/32 Monogram Porsche 904 kit.
3) The guide and spacers are a mid-shade of gray.
4) All other parts are original Monogram including the screwdriver.

I would like to know if this is a proper Monogram Super X110?

And is the gray guide and spacer a proper Monogram variant?

Would anyone please post up the instructions for the 1/32 Monogram Lola T70.

Much appreciated.

Regards,

Allan

#2 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,284 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 05:14 PM

Allan,

In their last production Series 2 kits, Monogram had apparently run out of red motors and used identical motors to the Revell SP80, i.e. Mabuchi FT16D in plain light silver with white endbells and brown wire. The Lola T70 and Ford GT kits received such motors as well as the Lola GT, Cooper Ford, Ferrari 250GTO/64, 275P, and Porsche 904.

The very last issues of these kits used the Mabuchi FT16DBB with the ball bearing in the nickel plated can with the oval vent holes, the bearing housing made of aluminum.

The only Monogram motors using the redend bells were the RTR set cars, and the can in this case was goldish color zinc plated.

The guide and spacers in gray are correct for the late issues. Please inspect this picture showing the two "Series 2" issues of the Cooper, the one on the right corresponding to what you have:

Posted Image

Would anyone please post up the instructions for the 1/32nd Monogram Lola-T70.

If no one here has them, I can mail a set to you.

Philippe de Lespinay

#3 Thom Byrnes

Thom Byrnes

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 07:52 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 Allan Feldman

Allan Feldman

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 07:14 AM

Thanks, Phillipe and Thom, for your help.

It seems I have been chasing the wrong motor (red end can) for years. My Lola T70 came with the instruction sheet cut off from below the body assembly. How do I download Thom's Monogram instruction sheet for the T70???

And could someone post a picture of the wheel inserts for the 1/32 Monogram Lola T70. I have two sets slightly different from each other.

Many thanks and sorry to inconvence you. Once again thanks for your help.

Regards,

Allan

#5 MG Brown

MG Brown

Grand Champion Poster

• Administrator
  • 7,757 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 07:59 AM

Note that the 1/32 Monogram Lola T-70 will be "reissued" later this year in a new form (refurbished body and likely with the MRRC plastic chassis) similar to how they re-released the King Cobra last year.
That's thirty minutes away. I'll be there in ten.

#6 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 42,284 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:50 AM

There are two very similar types of wheel inserts for the Monogram 1/32 scale cars. One type fits the Ferrari and Lotus F1s, the other the T70. I cannot post pictures of the two but maybe Al Penrose can.

As far as "downloading" the instructions, it is quite simple: highlight and copy the posted sheet and paste it on a MS Word blank page, then... print! :)

Philippe de Lespinay

#7 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,547 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 10:09 AM

The easier way to download those instruction is to place your cursor over each image and right-click. This will pop-up a menu where you select "Save Picture As..."

P's method gives a document with the pics; my method saves the image files directly.

(Above assumes you are using a Windows PC.)

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#8 Hworth08

Hworth08

Posting Leader

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 10:28 AM

Thanks, Greg! The "save picture as" will be a valuable function.

And Philippe should write (finish!) his book. We're lucky to have such a source of slot information!
Don Hollingsworth
11/6/54-2/13/18
Requiescat in Pace

#9 Allan Feldman

Allan Feldman

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 12:23 PM

(Above assumes you are using a Windows PC.)

Thanks, Greg, but I use a old 2001 iMac. But my problem is my computer has lost the facility for PDFs and Word. I have Excel and ClarisWorks. But my Word software is faulty.

Thom has kindly offered to help me out. And I think I have a way round it.

Regards,

Allan

#10 MG Brown

MG Brown

Grand Champion Poster

• Administrator
  • 7,757 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 01:08 PM

Hey, I resemble that - my primary home system is a Mac with a born on date of August 2001. Of course it has been Frankensteined (or should that be steroidededededed?) QUITE a bit since it left the nest in Silicon Valley!

#11 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,547 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 01:29 PM

Mick,

I got you beat for old 'puters. My home box is a Power Mac AGP aka Sawtooth, introduced in 1999. And yeah, it's been hotrodded, too.

Allan,

What version of Mac OS are your running on your iMac? And are you using a one-button or two-button mouse?

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#12 Allan Feldman

Allan Feldman

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 02:08 PM

Hi Cheater,

I have I think 2001 iMac Blue Power PC G3 running 350mhz. 128 RAM (I am running on virtual memory 129 RAM), 6GB harddrive. OS 9.2.2. One-button mouse.

Regards,

Allan

#13 MG Brown

MG Brown

Grand Champion Poster

• Administrator
  • 7,757 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 02:12 PM

I got you beat for old 'puters.

Oh don't get me started... Mac 128? Atari 800? I'm sure what's left of my Altair 8800 is in the "Basement of Doom" somewhere. :)

#14 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,547 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 02:16 PM

How about an Apple II with ImageWriter complete in the original four-color boxes?

I don't consider anything much earlier than that to be a real computer... :laugh2:

Allan, I'll post for you later tonight. It's been so long since I've used OS 9, I'll have to look at a few things when I get home.

Gregory Wells

#15 MG Brown

MG Brown

Grand Champion Poster

• Administrator
  • 7,757 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 02:19 PM

How about an Apple II with ImageWriter complete in the original four-color boxes?

Actually I had an Apple I at a prior job - I think it was hooked up to a teletype at a screaming 110 baud.

Not a real computer? Tell my former masters at the Defense Logistics Services Administration that their IBM 7080 was "not a real computer".

Posted Image

IIRC, you hold down CONTROL to get the equivalent of right-mouse functions on a single button mouse.

#16 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 25,547 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 03:02 PM

You caught me, Mick. I should have said "earlier personal computer". :blush:

OK, Allan, here's the info, thanks to our younger son who is a serious geek.

Two ways to save pics from Slotblog (or any other forum) if you're using Mac OS 9.2.2:

1) Hold down the Control key and then click and hold your cursor on the pic. This will pop-up a menu that will allow you to save the pic to your computer.

2) Click on the picture (to select it) and then drag it to your desktop.

Gregory Wells

#17 don.siegel

don.siegel

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 5,762 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 04:21 PM

I'm impressed guys! That's some real computing info power there... And Greg, your son is a retro computer guy, very touching!

Not to mention another late slot variant I had never seen. But a gray Monogram motor just doesn't seem kosher somehow....

Don

BTW MG, thanks for that photo of a REAL computer... Now, did I ever tell you about the time back in '85 when we used to have to load Word Perfect from two floppies before we could start working...? that was after we walked five miles through the snow to get to work of course... and that beautiful IBM Display Write system that must have cost us $20,000, including the 8" disks...

#18 MG Brown

MG Brown

Grand Champion Poster

• Administrator
  • 7,757 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 04:31 PM

Now, did I ever tell you about the time back in '85 when we used to have to load Word Perfect from two floppies before we could start working....? that was after we walked 5 miles through the snow to get to work of course... and that beautiful IBM Display Write system that must have cost us $20,000, including the 8" disks...

You're not too far off other than the walking through the snow bit... but back in the day we had our WANG word processing system... enough said about THAT.

Let's talk about wiring accounting machine boards instead!

Posted Image

#19 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 42,284 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 04:35 PM

Not to mention another late slot variant I had never seen. But a gray Monogram motor just doesn't seem kosher somehow...

Don,

Neither does a standard Mabuchi FT16DBB with the oval holes and nickel plated case, but the last issues of the Series 2 Monogram kits came that way... :)

Philippe de Lespinay

#20 Allan Feldman

Allan Feldman

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 10:26 AM

Thanks Thomas, Cheater and son, and Phillipe (and any one I forgot), for all your help.

I am still reluctant to put the grey Super X-110 in my T70 as most of my vintage colleagues (as Don pointed out) think the red endbell motor is the one for the T70 (when they ran out of red cans).

Then they cannot dispute a sealed motor on the the Monogram backing card. I'm pretty sure that this card is from a second series 1/32 Porsche 904.

Regards,

Allan

#21 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 42,284 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 11:53 AM

I am still reluctant to put the grey Super X-110 in my T70 as most of my vintage colleagues (as Don pointed out) think the red endbell motor is the one for the T70 (when they ran out of red cans).

While anything is possible, I have seen HUNDREDS of sealed Monogram kits in over 40 years but NEVER with a nickel-plated FT16D can with the red endbell. Those motors were reserved for the 1/24 scale racing set cars, the Lotus 38, Chaparral 2, and McLaren-Elva, all using the same chassis/motor combination produced in Japan.

While the Series 2 kits with silver motors are not rare, the ones with the nickel-plated oval-hole FT16DBB with the aluminum bearing housing are. One with the red endbell FT16D motor would be extremely rare, and I frankly doubt that one ever existed, because when Monogram ran out of the red motors, they used the silver FT16D, then purchased the later oval-hole version.

However it is quite easy to create a Lola T70 using such a motor pirated from a 1/24 scale "set" car, as they are rather common, especially the blue Lotuses.

Philippe de Lespinay

#22 philsmith

philsmith

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 03:35 AM

Phillippe, I've seen, and had, more than one sealed T70 kit with the chrome can/red endbell. Unfortunately I can't lay my hands on a picture at the moment.
Phil Smith (UK)
scaleslotcars

#23 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• 42,284 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 10:48 AM

As I said, anything is possible especially when Monogram ran out of FT16Ds in either red or silver... and before they laid their hands on a few FT16DBB.

Philippe de Lespinay

#24 Vay Jonynas

Vay Jonynas

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 09:25 PM

Monogram T-70 Lola slot car kits don't turn up very often these days.

:search:

Flatheads_Forever_small.jpg?width=1920&h

Electric Dreams Online Shop