38 replies to this topic

#26 Ken Bryan

Ken Bryan

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 10:47 PM

Beautiful mid-70s day, perfect for an outdoor painting session.  This way my basement won't smell so much of polyurethane.

DSC00853.JPG

The lawn was damp, so I didn't want MDF anywhere near it.  Primed the pieces one by one.

DSC00854.JPG

I bought some new, cheaper floor and porch paint with polyurethane.  Thought I didn't have enough of my old paint.  But the new paint was very disappointing.  So I pulled out my previous paint and decided to use it.

DSC00855.JPG

Quite a challenge to find enough tables to let them all dry outside.  Turned into an assembly line.  Think of these as GIANT Revell track made of wood.

DSC00856.JPG

DSC00857.JPG

NOW it is starting to look like a slot car track!

DSC00858.JPG

In the reflection of the ceiling lights you can see the track surface.  Foam is too smooth.  Need a roller with a thicker nap to get this finish.

DSC00859.JPG

Tomorrow, I screw the track to the plywood, assemble the overpass, and lay the braid.  If all works (which is highly unlikely) we will be ready to transport to Montana on Sunday for setup and wiring.

Ken

• MSwiss likes this

#27 Tom Brown

Tom Brown

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 11:22 PM

I'm on call this week and can't leave town. I'll be there 10 am Sat.

Tom Brown

#28 Ken Bryan

Ken Bryan

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 12:22 AM

I had 3 goals today:  Screw the track surface onto the plywood, build the braces for the overpass, and braid the track.  I though I could do that in one long day.  Would you believe 2 out of 3? 

Attaching the 9 "non overpass" pieces took 2.5 hours, because ti was not enough to have all the pieces line up. In order to be interchangeable, every piece had to match to my "template" piece (the 180 degree piece) at every connection point.  I would up having to cut 3 of the 9 pieces, but go it to work.

To make this work, I marked a piece of plastic with where all the 8 connections were on the 180.  Then every piece had to line up with this at every side where there is a braid connection. 

DSC00862.JPG

DSC00864.JPG

But the hard part of the day was an overpass with the right height, the right camber on all turns, and the right slope for the cars (i.e., never too much bow).  It took us about 10 hours but we did it.

Starting here:

DSC00868.JPG

And ending here:

DSC00871.JPG

NOW we are ready for the braid...

DSC00870.JPG

Mega thank yous to Tom Brown and especially to Mike Moen, who was the master architect and builder for the overpass, which is rock solid.  At the moment I have more confidence in the transportation ability of the overpass than in the 3/4" plywood base!

Ken

• Tim Neja, Rob Voska and compman25 like this

#29 Sluggo

Sluggo

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 11:53 AM

If I've learned one thing from this build it is that if I ever route a layout it will not have an overpass. :  )

Randy Pepprock

#30 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,833 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 12:52 PM

One of the BEST things about building a home track IS the overpass and elevation changes you can have that lend a lot of interest and fun to driving!! Your track is looking really great!! Keep up the good work!! :)

She's real fine, my 409!!!

#31 Sluggo

Sluggo

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 03:08 PM

I guess I look at it differently. Elevations, yes, it adds a nice feature. Overpasses? Not many real tracks actually have them, Suzuka is the only one I can think of, and they are a lot more work to build. 

It's all good, I'll have more of a right to an opinion after I actually route a track. :  )

Randy Pepprock

#32 Ken Bryan

Ken Bryan

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 11:07 PM

We re-routed the braid recess, re-painted it, then spent and entire day routing the track.  Pictures to come.

Decided to use a U-Haul trailer to deliver the track to Montana.  Pick up the trailer at 6:00 tomorrow.  NEED HELP loading the track into the trailer.  Should not take long.  6:30 Friday? 

My wife and I will leave early morning Saturday and drive the approximately 3.5 hours to deliver the track.  Bob and Randy will meet us to unload and help set it up.  They will have to do the wiring and all the adjusments to get the track ready to race.

Could still be racing in Montana this summer!!

Ken

#33 Tom Brown

Tom Brown

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 12:57 AM

I'll be there Friday 6:30 - 7pm. Sorry can't go to Montana Saturday. I'm on-call this week. 

Tom Brown

#34 Ken Bryan

Ken Bryan

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 09:09 AM

I've missed a couple of weeks worth of progress.  So let's catch up with a few pictures.

First, a view of the completed overpass, and a slightly fuzzy close-up showing the effect of careful attention to prevent negative camber on the turns.

DSC00871.JPG

DSC00873.JPG

To attach the braid, Tom Brown and I used an old popcorn tin.  You roll the braid out onto the tin, being careful to have no gaps and no overlap.  Then Tom slathered contact cement all over the exposed side of the braid.  By the way, it is worth noting that braid has a top and a bottom.  It is really a tube that has been flattened.  The process leaves it slightly concave.  You want to lay it curling down at the edges, not curling up.

DSC00885.JPG

While he was doing this, I applied glue (using an old contact solution bottle, which works great for the purpose) to the track.  As we went along, we learned that he needed to give me a half-way head start so the two sets of glue would be ready approximately the same time.

DSC00886.JPG

It took all day.  We started around 10:30 and finished after 9 p.m.  But when done, it looked like a "real" slot car track (in 4 pieces).

DSC00888.JPG

We left the braid hanging over the end of each section, so we have room to connect later.

DSC00890.JPG

I then came back and glued them underneath for safe travel.

DSC00891.JPG

DSC00892.JPG

Today, I will re-attach the overpass and prepare the track for shipment.

Ken

#35 Ken Bryan

Ken Bryan

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 09:15 AM

I was surprised at how long it took to lay braid.  But when you think about it, it is not surprising.  The track is about 55' per lane, times 4 lanes, times 2 sides = 440'.  Football fields are 360' long counting both end zones.  Think about laying braid on that length, going inch by inch, changing braid pieces and letting it set up every 5' along the way.  

#36 Sluggo

Sluggo

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 04:15 PM

Some progress this past weekend. We have the track to where we were able to apply some power & get the cars around without stopping. It's kind of hard to test so far because the track unglued is super slippery + the track still has bits of sawdust on it which the tires pick up immediately. It's like drifting. :  )

Now comes fine tuning at the joints followed by a deep, thorough cleaning and then adding some glue so we can really start to bring the track up to speed. So far, so good. :  )

• MSwiss likes this
Randy Pepprock

#37 Ken Bryan

Ken Bryan

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 10:59 PM

Great!  This is exciting to hear.  Can't wait until we are able to race on it!

Ken

#38 Ed Steinbruner

Ed Steinbruner

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:55 AM

Ken,

Any chance you have pics or video of final setup or race? Thanks for sharing the journey. 

-Ed

• Rob Voska likes this

#39 Sluggo

Sluggo

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 08:45 PM

Hi All. I saw Bob this weekend & because of personal reasons in his life, he needs to move the track out of his shop. If anyone from the NW League wants to come get it please contact Bob @ gugisberb1@aol.com He has not been able to contact Ken, so Ken, if you're out there somewhere, please contact Bob & let him know your thoughts on moving/selling the track.

Thanks,

Randy AKA Sluggo from Montana.

Randy Pepprock

Electric Dreams Online Shop