• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Car-2

Car-2

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 10:53 PM

Well I stopped by PA's place tonight for some track time. The first I've been on a big track in 30 years. Boy, was it fun running on a 155 foot King.

I've built a JK X24 with a Nissan LMP body with a Hawk 7 motor to get with the local racing program. The orange lane was freshly cleaned, very slick, and I could not do much with it. Blue and red and I did not get along but I must have found nirvana on yellow. It was nicely glued up and shortly after I started getting my rhythm down I kept posting better and better times. Finally turned in a 3.570, not too shabby for a first-timer when I think the best time for a LMP on that track is a 3.2-ish time. I'm not sure what motor or anything made that time so I am not sure how my set-up compares.

After quite a few laps my car seemed to not be able to get to those 3.5 times and was running more like 3.8s but it did not seem like the motor was going away though. Could pretty much hold it open most of the way around the track and just had to blip the 90 into the doughnut and the lead-on. That lead-on gave me fits. Dropped down to black and liked it there but best I could get was a 3.735 that late in the night.

Got to wondering about it all but I think I figured it all out when I got home. Seems like I scrubbed off enough tire to change my gear ratio. Originally my tires measured about .770" and now they are about .760". I was running a 14/42 72 pitch gears so that should have gone from 3.90 to a 3.95 gearing. Think that change in the gearing could account for the ~3 tenths time difference?

I was the only one running so all the times were mine.

IMG_0451.JPG
Robert Uzzi

#2 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,747 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 11:19 PM

Well I stopped by PA's place tonight for some track time. The first I've been on a big track in 30 years

What took you so long? :acute:

Looks like you are right back in the saddle. Good choice of a car to get back into commercial racing.

Welcome back. And welcome to Slotblog.
Sam Levitch

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters, and if you do not have integrity, nothing else matters."
    Robert Mueller, special counsel (2013)

"... because people have got to know whether or not their president is a crook."
    Richard M .Nixon, Nov 17, 1973

"Fool me once, same on... shame on you. Fool me... you can't get fooled again."
    George W. Bush

#3 Car-2

Car-2

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 11:33 PM

PA's given me lots of good advice. In fact I still need to drop my rear axle a bit and put some better oilites in there, this chassis was not new when I got it. I'm holding off till I can find a jig I like and some jig wheels.
Robert Uzzi

#4 FVracer

FVracer

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 10:23 AM

Welcome back Robert. Didn't have an opportunity to get in on Sunday. The 3.5 for the first time out is very good in a used chassis. PA is always helping.

Diana Dyckman

Electric Dreams Online Shop