2 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,664 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 06:44 PM

On a recent visit to Sidewinder Raceway a family brought their home set Scalextric cars to the track and the kids, boy and girl were having all sorts of fun racing their cars on the routed wood track. The cars went reasonably well and it seems this was not their first time coming to the raceway.

What does this all mean? Not sure except that the connection between home and raceway may have some merit. Talked to some of the regular racers there and none of them raced slot cars before the raceway opened. Sacramento, with it's weather is home to a lot of RC activity though the guys said, what we already know, that they preferred racing slot cars over RC.

I'm no expert but I would guess we've lost more racers to slot cars than the other way around. Funny thing they don't seem to do birthday parties, and do not need that business

Dennis David

curb-line2.jpg

gph_sm.jpg

#2 sportblazer350

sportblazer350

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,848 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 04:15 PM

I have raced homeset 1/32 scale Slot-its on commercial tracks with success. They handled surprisingly well. To my surprise was the fact that we never raced them again. So I don't see any reason why we can't get together with the homeset racers and get them and their cars over to the larger commercial tracks. Not much spray glue is needed, and there are great foam rubber rears to fit on the market. I like the Scaleauto rears myself for the homeset cars.  

Glenn Orban
vintage slot car enthusiast
NJ SCALE Racing

Hardbody Racing at The Race Place

#3 Arne Saknussem

Arne Saknussem

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 10:01 PM

We used to have races for Ninco, Fly, Scalextric and Slot.it cars on the Engelman (180 feet) at my raceway.  We ran the cars in stock configuration including the tires.  After a while we switched to the Slot.it guide for routed tracks.  Track prep was a simple cleaning.  No sponge tires so no spray glue needed.  The cars were just that little bit loose enough to keep everyone on their toes.

Pete Varlan

"A friend to many, a nightmare to many more."

Electric Dreams Online Shop