36 replies to this topic

#1 gc4895

gc4895

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 12:39 PM

I currently have a 50 year old Craftsman small compressor (kit kind, no tank) that works but isn't putting out the kind of pressure I need.  It's rated at 40psi max and I think something like 25psi (or less) is what it actually produces.  I need advice on what to look for in a used compressor.

I use a Paasche double action syphon feed airbrush I bought 15 or 20 years ago.  It has 3 tips and has worked well. 

Currently I'm trying to use Parma Faskolors paints because I like the easy clean up and they have worked well for me in the past.  I have been attempting to cut the Faskolor with Liquitex Airbrush Medium so I can thin the paint enough to get by with my low pressure set up.  All I get are splatters.

I don't spend much time on painting bodies.  I really only paint bodies so that I can see them well when racing.  My time is spent on chassis building (retro) or motors or all that performance related stuff.  Body painting is for visual recognition, only.  I don't care at all  if it looks like a "real" car or not. I'm spending too much time screwing around trying to get this airbrush to work.  I want body painting to be quick, easy and straightforward.  Currently it's mixing and testing and splatter painting. 

Lately I've resorted to my white Tamiya spray bomb and that's it.  That is OK, but I like a little two tone effect every now and then and spray bombs are one and done. 

Can I find a useable compressor on ebay?  I don't really want to invest $200 in a compressor that sits most of the time.  I'm not looking to win concourse honors or spray lovely intricate patterns.  I just want enough pressure to reliably allow me to use Faskolor acrylic paint without fighting splatters and the mess everytime I try and use it.

Any thoughts from experienced painters?  What equipment should I be looking for that will do the job but not have me buying a new expensive compressor that spends most of it's life in the closet.  Thanks!!!

Mark Bauer

#2 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,288 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 01:11 PM

I'm no pro, but I have this one and I'm happy with it. Good deal for the money I think. Quality is actually pretty good, don't expect pro quality at this price.

Harbor Freight usually has 20% off coupons too. 

http://www.harborfre...-kit-95630.html

Joe Lupo

#3 Booger

Booger

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 01:33 PM

If you don't mind some noise,pancake/hotdog compressors from the above are a good deal for what you want it for.

Gary "Booger" Baker

#4 John Streisguth

John Streisguth

Johnny VW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,921 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 02:02 PM

I just purchased one of these, on the recommendation of one of the top "Pro" painters.  I've seen them in action, plenty of air and very quiet.

https://www.amazon.c...rush compressor

And you will need to run more than 25 psi with acrylic, which need to be properly thinned. I use Createx paints exclusively, as I feel it's best to not cross-use different brands.  Might be nothing to that, but it's my personal philosphy.

• Noose and Tim Neja like this
"Whatever..."

#5 John Streisguth

John Streisguth

Johnny VW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,921 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 02:12 PM

I did this one not too long ago, all Createx paints.  All transparent colors, the blue is undercoated with "aluminum" which gives a nice sparkle, then white underneath that.  The stripes are transparent red and transparent yellow, undercoated with white. After everything is fully dry, I use a gloss topcoat on everything to make it more durable and more resistant to oil.  BTW< Createx is made to be heat-set when used on clothing, so using a blow-dryer helps set the paint better than just letting it air dry.

post-1407-0-07987300-1462985616.jpg

• Tim Neja likes this
"Whatever..."

#6 Car-2

Car-2

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 04:11 PM

I've had a lot of experience with Airbrushing and tried several compressors. I finally settled on the biggest single stage 220 unit I could find. That was mainly to run my air tools and provide enough air for my full sized auto paint guns though.

I've tried a lot of the smaller airbrush specific compressors and they are mainly designed to run all the time and bleed off excess. Even though I had a silentaire it got annoying. The smaller Pancakes don't have enough volume and share a issue with the smaller compressors of having trouble keeping a steady and consistent pressure. Get the biggest one you can find or afford, it will run less and the larger tanks will help keep a steady pressure. You want to provide more than 50 PSI as some water based paints like a bit more pressure.

I would avoid ebay for something like this but you may find something interesting at the local big box home store. Look carefully ate the warranties and plan on getting a drier/regulator unit. I even run a second regulator at the end of the line to make adjusting the line pressure simple. That way I can keep say a 50 psi line pressure but run 35 psi at the brush. 

That brings up another point, you want dry air so running a good length of copper line before the drier will allow the air to cool and condense more air out of it. 

Robert Uzzi

#7 gc4895

gc4895

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 04:47 PM

John, thanks for the advice and beautiful work!  I really like the way you worked the stripe colors into the number stencil mask as well.  Well done!

Mark Bauer

#8 Hermit #1

Hermit #1

Mid-Pack Racer

• Member at Peace
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 10:43 AM

Rather than buying a compressor, look into a 10 lb. to 20 lb. CO2 tank.  The gas is anhydrous (no moisture), and the tank makes zero detectable noise when in use.  A single charge can last years, at typical slot car use rates.

• Rob Voska likes this
Dave "Hermit" Jones
5/26/??-9/12/17
Requiescat in Pace

#9 Bobby Page

Bobby Page

Racer1byu

• Subscriber
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 05:06 PM

I go along with harbor freight.  I use a central pneumatic 1/3 hp 3gal. 100psi.  Its pressure is adjustable and if you don't what the noise,  air the tank up and just turn it off, spray from the tank.  Works pretty good for me but , I'm not a noose either.   check out bodies by bobby. 

Wrecking Crew says - " Give them nothing, But take from them everything " 

#10 gc4895

gc4895

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 06:24 PM

I think Createx is the manufacturer of the Parma Faskolor paints.  In other words, Faskolor are simply Createx relabeled.

Mark Bauer

#11 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,041 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 07:14 PM

Yes, Faskolor is manufactured by Createx. Some of the Faskolor paint contains more pigment than the same color sold under the Createx label. Two that come to mind are opaque red & black. I've had good luck airbrushing both brands, usually that labeled Createx has been a little cheaper.

Bill Fernald

"I'm not short, I'm just down to earth."

#12 Mike Patterson

Mike Patterson

Village Luddite™

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 09:14 PM

Picture 1.png

I bought one of THESE several years ago. It was a refurbished unit and came with full factory warranty and accessories. I paid $30 for it. I did have to purchase a regulator though. It's not very quiet, but then, it doesn't run much once the tank is full. If it's still too loud, save the box it came in, turn it upside down, and shove it down over the compressor. That helps quite a bit.

I spray Fascolor/Createx at 50 psi unthinned. YMMV.

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

#13 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 10,041 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 10:00 PM

Mike, if noise was a problem, you could also build a small cabinet for it, insulated with either styrofoam sheets or fiberglass batts. I've been keeping my compressor box, almost 10 yrs., to someday build a spray booth. :)

Bill Fernald

"I'm not short, I'm just down to earth."

#14 gc4895

gc4895

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 12:07 AM

Mike, I love the use the box for sound baffle idea! That's creative. Thanks!!!
Mark Bauer

#15 gc4895

gc4895

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 02:27 PM

Just wondering about the CH 100 psi pancake compressor.  You mention having to purchase a regulator as well.  I looked at the accessory list and didn't see a regulator offered.  Is this a regular over-the-counter item?  Roughly, how much should I be expecting to pay for a regulator?  I guess one of the differences in these "pancake" compressors vs. compressors made specifically for the airbrush market (like the Paashe 500, for example) is that the airbrush specific machines come with the ancillary items like regulators/water traps, etc. vs. the pancake needs taming to adapt to airbrush work. 

I sure like the thought of using Faskolor without the non-stop(for me) headache of exactly mixing a batch the airgun likes well enough to not splatter all over the body. 

Mark Bauer

#16 Mike Patterson

Mike Patterson

Village Luddite™

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 08:52 PM

Mark, regulators are an OTC item, any brand will work. I have a Lowe's Kobalt on mine. I don't remember the cost, less than $20. A water trap isn't necessary when spraying acrylics, IMO.

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

#17 Nate Graham

Nate Graham

Backmarker

• Subscriber
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 08:16 AM

Background: RC bodies, several years of airbrushing tabletop miniatures, now slot cars, woodworking shop with air tools.

short answer: cheap air tool compressors = large, heavy, noisy. not ideal.

buy nothing without a tank to smooth out pulsation. regulator and trap should be incorporated in design. The TCP global bottom price with tank (as shown in amazon link above) is excellent. I have one and can use it in the loving room while watching TV with wife and she does not complain. enough said. direct from TCP global, I paid about $80. When doing a dozen bodies at a time ( inspired by Steve Koepp at his paint class at the R4 - Thank you master Steve) , I need a small fan to keep it cool. it will shut down if it overheats. a good safety feature.

Now, if you have time and space, a big tanked air tool compressor - placed in another room, i.e., the garage, with soldered copper pipe run  through the wall into your work area with nipples for air tools along your bench and then a separate down regulator from Harbor Freight at your paint station is the bomb! silent, dry air with a limitless supply and a compressor that will not overheat.

• John Streisguth likes this

#18 smokie

smokie

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 08:54 AM

I picked up one of these from Harbor Freight a few months ago since I got tired of using my giant 10 HP upright.

3 Gallon Air Compressor - 1/3 HP, 100 PSI, Oilless

So far , it's been flawless, a little noisy, but it's functionality outweighs the noise....

Jeff Bigelow
"It's not about winning or losing the race,
it's about how good you look for the concours judge"

#19 NSwanberg

NSwanberg

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 01:18 AM

Any air compressor with a tank should have a condensate drain.

Remember the Steube bar! (ask Raisin)
SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL RACEWAY!!
"The denial of denial is the first sign of denial." Hank, from Corner Gas
Nelson Swanberg 5618

Peace be with all of us and good racing for the rest of us.
Have controller. Will travel. Slot Car Heaven

#20 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,660 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 08:56 AM

A lot of the noise air compressors make is intake noise. Adding some sort of muffler to the intake is one way to reduce it. I would not recommend  covering the entire unit. They are air cooled and need air circulation.

Placing the unit on a thick rubber mat can also reduce noise.

Sam Levitch

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters, and if you do not have integrity, nothing else matters."
     Robert Mueller, special counsel (2013)

#21 John Streisguth

John Streisguth

Johnny VW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,921 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 09:03 PM

I think Createx is the manufacturer of the Parma Faskolor paints.  In other words, Faskolor are simply Createx relabeled.

If it's made by Createx, I don't think it's the same paint simply rebottled, as it seems different.  

"Whatever..."

#22 John Streisguth

John Streisguth

Johnny VW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,921 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 09:06 PM

John, thanks for the advice and beautiful work!  I really like the way you worked the stripe colors into the number stencil mask as well.  Well done!

To be honest,the number are actually stickers but I painted the stripes to look similar.  

Also, on that compressor I suggested, it does not run continuously, because it has the tank and a pressure switch.  Very quiet as well.  I have one of those loud ones and even outdoors it's annoying as heck...it will give you a headache in about 5 minutes indoors  LOL

"Whatever..."

#23 Robert BG

Robert BG

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 10:22 AM

I really think a half decent "pancake"compressor would suit most hobbyists.Mainly because you can use it for other things around the house.

I have one I bought so I didnt have to use my 220v monster all the time and it has come in handy.I use it for just about everything but big air tools around the house and since I had things plumbed for my big industrial unit I can tap into those lines with a quick connect. 

Also when my shop wasnt at my place I used it at a condo,I just put it in a outside closet on our deck and ran the hose in through the slider for work inside.Had I planned on being there longer  (was because of Sandy) I would have installed a hardline inside.

One other mod I used for airbrushing was I added a bigger tank made from a old propane bottle.While I'd only recommend it for light duty work,it was great because I only had to run it once most times.I could paint till 3 am if I wanted and not bother the neighbors ;)Granted you have to be careful with this mod as some cheap units might burnout trying to fill the larger tank.Mine had a thermal cut off and other than using a impact gun once it was never a issue.

For what you's spend on a dedicated airbrush unit you probably should look into the pancake and small portable units,this way you can use it for other things like filling tires etc.If you have a real compressor then by all means disregard this though

Robert Fothergill

#24 gc4895

gc4895

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 03:34 PM

No, I don't have a real compressor except my lame old Craftsman that just isn't up to the job with these acrylic paints.  I looked at a 3 gallon pancake at HD today for $59 but it was listed as "not recommended for hobby painting".  I couldn't figure out why not. 

Mark Bauer

#25 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 5,782 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 07:20 PM

Post #4---John's recommendation!  Spend $100 and you'll NEVER regret it!! This is just one of those "correct" tools for the job!! :)

She's real fine, my 409!!!

Electric Dreams Online Shop