• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Robert BG

Robert BG

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 05:29 PM

I have the same chassis and I was wondering who made them? 

chassis.jpg

Thanks.
Robert Fothergill

#2 NY Nick

NY Nick

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 06:18 PM

Looks like a Pro Slot.
  • Robert BG likes this
Nick Cerulli

#3 John Streisguth

John Streisguth

Johnny VW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,603 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 06:57 PM

I agree, I have the exact one that I ran in 1991.

"Whatever..."

#4 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,882 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 07:16 PM

Actually, some blind Brazilian women working in the dark made these.  :laugh2:  It's one model of several Brazilian brass/wire frames that were imported to the US and sold under various US company labels, such as Pro Slot.

These frames had poor soldering jobs, ill-fitting parts, and built-in stresses. When bought new, they had to be taken apart and blueprinted before they were run. These chassis were popular to run until the steel Boxstock chassis came out in the late '90s. Your model was given a name that escapes me at the moment.

There were several variations built of it using slightly different shaped brass parts. Today, you can almost always find these chassis and cars using them for sale on eBay. The Brazilians must have built it in large numbers.

Bill Fernald

When chemists die, they barium.

#5 Robert BG

Robert BG

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 08:07 PM

Thanks, guys. I thought it was either Pro Slot or R-Geo for some reason.

Bill, I'm happy with the old one I've got and dont need more. ;) I learned they needed a little work the hard way soldering a motor in a new one years ago. I got it a little too hot and my new chassis went "boing" and sprung. :D My metal shop teacher saved the day though and had me make a set of square brass jig wheels on the mill and I got it tweaked and soldered back up with a higher temp solder.
Robert Fothergill

#6 Jeff Bechtel

Jeff Bechtel

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 09:40 AM

Actually this is a JK chassis. They imported it from Brazil. Yes, there were a couple of different configurations. I am not sure if Pro Slot sold a version of this chassis. I have several of these chassis as well.

#7 old & gray

old & gray

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 09:56 AM

I concur with Jeff, this is the JK version of this chassis. I seem to remember it was called the Shuttle. When these chassis were repaired the rear crossbar and body mount would relocate slightly to fit the owner's tastes.

Pro Slot had a similar chassis but with squared-off front pans.
Bob Schlain

#8 Paul Kovich

Paul Kovich

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 01:34 PM

Actually, the Pro Slot Fox, PDQ, and the JK (I stand corrected by Bob, LOL) had the pointy front pans and the Parma version had the squared-off ones.

#9 Dave Crevie

Dave Crevie

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 03:27 PM

It is the JK copy. I have a box full of these, mostly bent up and not useable.

Jerry sold them with either GP15 or GP20 motors. When Jerry was in Lombard, IL, Tuesday night was wing car night. Since most of the local participants were newbies, it was flag to flag carnage. Naturally, the worst was Box 20.

But either way, he could sell as many as ten of these cars on a race night. I know they weren't made here; Brazil is the most
likely. The solder joints were cold, and you needed to go over the chassis and re-solder any suspect joints.

Just the same, it was the fastest chassis at the time, and I tried them all.

#10 NY Nick

NY Nick

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 09:42 PM

I race the same chassis and it came out of a bag that had a Pro Slot header.

I rebuilt it and never got it to work right, but than again I don't work right.
Nick Cerulli

#11 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 7,882 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 09:52 PM

Robert,

You know this chassis would be a very easy to clone by scratchbuilding. :)

Bill Fernald

#12 Paul Kovich

Paul Kovich

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 07:57 AM

Probably came from the same Brazilian workshop to JK, Pro Slot, PDQ, and others.

#13 Robert BG

Robert BG

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 11:34 AM

Bill,

I thought the same thing as I was cleaning it up last night. It was super simple and handled better than most of the others I tried.

I will probably put one of my old C-cans back in it for now but eventually I might make a clone or two for my kids. I figure it should do OK with one of the new little  motors and a nice GTP type body for them. If it is too fast I can always choke them down a bit until they get the hang of it. I'd rather build them something they can grow into than outgrow right away.
Robert Fothergill

#14 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 7,882 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 12:43 PM

That chassis, a GTP body, and one of the mini-motors should make a good running combinations. Choked motors or reduced track voltage could enhance the "learning to drive" experience. And papa gets to scratchbuild. :)
  • Robert BG likes this

Bill Fernald

#15 Robert BG

Robert BG

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 09:36 AM

Bill,between that and a light weight car.It is really the way to go in my opinion.If they do decide to crash on purpose there's less of a bang from a lighter car ;)

I got mine all cleaned up for the most part and I'm working on the motor for it now.I'm waiting on some new solder wick to clean the motor mount a tad bit more but this is as far as I'm going to go.13389274_10206860366327355_645662932_o_z

I also used some old Mura bus bars to fix the broken ones on the motor.I know I could have got something new and nicer but the object here is to fix what I had with as much of my old stuff as possible.I just want my old cars to be fun and look like they would have 20 years ago.(wow its weird to say that lol) so buying new stuff kind of defeats that purpose for me.

I thought the motor was a Champion by the can but when i think about it I am pretty sure it was a ProSlot motor.I even had the tag from the bag for a ProSlot 15.Did they share the same can?Also it has a green magnet in it if that helps any.

As far as a scratch clone goes,I scanned the chassis and made some templates to work from.Although its hard to explain but I'll probably pull the outer rails in from the top and run them behind a set of real front wheels and back out.If that makes sense to you.My front wheel mounts are missing but I'll probably make them in the same manner but floating instead to add a little realism to things.

Thanks again

Robert

Edit:I just thought I'd share what I used for a protective work cover.If you're looking for a cheap work are cover mat or are in a pinch at a race etc I use Dollar general foam board.I started to use it by accident but it is great as you can stick body pins in it,arm's and it will even hold a motor if you have a arm inside it and so on,just jab it in there and it holds it.When soldering as long as you dont hold the iron to it its fine with the heat and molten blobs aren't a problem for it at all.

• Samiam likes this
Robert Fothergill

#16 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 7,882 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 12:58 PM

Your chassis cleaned up nicely! Thanks for the foam board work mat idea. I hadn't thought of that. I'll bet covering it with aluminum foil would even make it more blob-proof. :)  I could also use the foam board to replace a couple stacks of corrugated cardboard I'm using on other things.

Bill Fernald

#17 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,546 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 12:00 PM

I'm working on the motor for it now.I'm waiting on some new solder wick to clean the motor mount a tad bit

In a pinch you can pull the clip off an old pair of braid. Clean off oil residue ,dip in flux,and use it as wick.

Sam Levitch

When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything is a nail.
Support your local raceway, or you won't have one.
Slot cars are quad-pods.
Support your "Local Racer."
:laugh2:

#18 Robert BG

Robert BG

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 02:59 PM

In a pinch you can pull the clip off an old pair of braid. Clean off oil residue ,dip in flux,and use it as wick.

I was going to try this but I forgot to get acid flux while I was at the track and I dont know if I can find it locally.

Robert Fothergill

#19 bigdanbo

bigdanbo

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 08:25 PM

That is a PDQ. I have A couple still, 90s'. Was a pretty good chassis for the times. Actually I think it was a box stock 12.   

Dan Ebbert

#20 Jason Holmes

Jason Holmes

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 10:29 PM

I was going to say PDQ 

Jason

#21 Robert BG

Robert BG

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 01:49 PM

I was going to say PDQ 

Jason

It seems to have been sold by a few companies.The one I have I remember a pink label but not much more,other then my dad bought it in New Orleans when he was on a business trip.

I cleaned my old one up and installed a rebuilt Champion group 20 in it from the same era with ball bearings so it should make a decent play car.If I wasnt stuck in  VA right now I'd post some pics.I'll probably try it without wings at first since with one of the high down force euro sport style bodies when I get around to it.

Robert Fothergill

Electric Dreams Online Shop