#1 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,687 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 11:52 AM

Paul Bucknell just posted this on the BSCRA Facebook page:

"This is without doubt the most difficult thing I've ever had to write on this or any other forum.

Chas Keeling passed away yesterday after falling ill on Tuesday. Chas was one of the mainstays of British Slot Racing for many years. He was chairman of the Pontefract club for the past 25 years and his passing will leave a void that frankly can't be filled.

RIP, Chas, you will be missed by all of us."

Our sympathies to the BSCRA racers on the loss of Chas, a true legend in the UK slot racing world.

ck.jpg

• Tex likes this

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#2 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 8,250 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 12:13 PM

Didn't he also own SCD?

Bill Fernald

Used puppets for sale!

No springs attached.

#3 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 21,687 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 12:34 PM

Yes, I believe so.

Gregory Wells

Never forget that first place goes to the racer with the MOST laps, not the racer with the FASTEST lap

#4 smichslot

smichslot

Backmarker

• Subscriber
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 02:05 PM

Chas, rest in piece.

A big loss to both your family and friends.

Steen
Steen Michaelsen

#5 Robert BG

Robert BG

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 08:52 AM

He looked like a real character that would have been fun to know.

My condolences go out to his friends, fellow racers, and family as I am sure he will be missed. :(
Robert Fothergill

#6 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 21,687 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 09:05 AM

Here's another pic of Chas.

chas2.jpg
  • rodslot53 likes this

Gregory Wells

#7 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• 5,395 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 02:08 PM

So sorry to hear we've lost another racing friend.

RIP and condolences to his family!! God Bless!
She's real fine, my 409!!!

#8 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 21,687 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 07:47 AM

Posted by George Kimber, accomplished racer and barber, on Facebook and worth duplicating here.

"So pleased to have known Chas Keeling and a fitting end to our 50-year friendship.
This photo captures the essence of the man, the wry smile and mischievous look into the camera.
The last time I will get to tidy him up!

A Friend to all of us. He will be sadly missed.

RIP, Chas."

chas3.jpg
Pic: Team SCD

• rodslot53 likes this

Gregory Wells

#9 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 21,687 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 08:21 AM

Posted by Robin Whitmarsh "kayemod" in The Nostalgia Forum at Autosport:

"The name probably wont mean a lot to most TNFs, not unless they were active slot racers in the north of England back in the 1960s, and come to that '70s, '80s, '90s, and more recently, but Chas Keeling succumbed to his latest heart attack a couple of days ago, aged 78.

Chas, thats all he was ever known as, was one of the slot racing greats. One of his best remembered creations is pictured below, his Harvey Aluminum Special, all hand-built, hand lettered, etc, the car is 1/32 scale, so about 5" long. At one meeting I attended at Ashton club, he won the main event with this car, and after that he won the concours; I doubt if thats ever been done before.

So Chas was no mean driver in his day, but hes best remembered as a model engineer of some renown, he made almost every component of this car, and almost all the others he raced, all by himself, even the wheels and probably the tyres as well. But hes best known for his business activities, he ran SCD, Slot Car Distributors, right up to his death, if you needed tyres, wheels, chassis components, etc, he was the man to go to.

The first time I met Chas was at the original Halifax club, their track was on the top floor of an old building, probably something connected with the wool trade, access was up wood stairs that were so steep it was almost like climbing a ladder, but back then it was one of the fastest tracks in the Country. Chas was a slightly forbidding figure, always a black suit, black hair slicked back, to a teenage me, he looked a bit like Peter Cushing as Dracula, but unfailingly patient and helpful with novices like me.

I dont think anyone ever had a bad word to say about him. He was still racing a week or so before his death, he attended two events in Scotland over the last bank holiday weekend. A nice man, a competent racer in his day, and one of the most gifted model engineers the sport has ever seen.

RIP, Chas, youll be missed."

chas4.jpg

• rodslot53 likes this

Gregory Wells

#10 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 21,687 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 08:37 AM

If anyone in the UK can point me to an obituary for Chas, if one appears, it would be appreciated.

Gregory Wells

#11 Cheater

Cheater

Headmaster of the asylum

• Root Admin
  • 21,687 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 12:08 PM

From Facebook, the funeral arrangements for Chas Keeling:

The funeral will take place on Friday 17th June at 2 PM at St Paul’s C of E Church, Bradford Road, Birkenshaw, Bradford BD11 2 DR. There will then be a buffet provided at the local cricket club to which all are invited.

Muriel is currently handling Chas’ business affairs and if you have an outstanding order, invoice etc, then Muriel can be contacted on the following email address: scdkeeling@gmail.com.

It would be helpful if you could contact me on paulbucknell@pontyslot.freeserve.co.uk before Wednesday 15th June with details of numbers of attendees. This will help the family ensure that Chas gets the send off he deserves.

Many thanks,

Paul Bucknell

Gregory Wells

Electric Dreams Online Shop