• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dc-65x

dc-65x

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,900 posts
  • Location:Captain Rick: The only vintage slot car nut in SW Oregon?

Posted 06 June 2016 - 12:24 PM

This installment features Rodney's prized period race car by Keiji recovered from the Oakland Speedway inventory:

Rick,

I recently restored this Keiji steel car.  It is from the Les Amos/Oakland Speedway treasure trove. 

keiji 1.jpg

The chassis has a suspension movement that came to be known as "Italian movement."  This suspension movement came into vogue in the 80's with Eurosport slot cars.  With "Italian movement," the torque of the motor pod area pushes down on the guide flag.  Torsion rods are used to preload from the motor pod area to the drop arm area.  With this movement, the faster the car goes the more the motor pod pushes the guide flag down into the track slot.

keiji 2.jpg

The car is powered by a period hand-wound 25 single C-can motor.  Testing was done with black tires.  The body is a McNulty-painted Lancer Porsche 917 coupe.

keiji 4.jpg

Track conditions on test day had very little spray glue and grip, relying more on rubber bits on the track.  Driving the restored car on the Blue King resulted in 5.2-second lap times with clutching for the bank turn.  Driving the car gives you a confident feeling in the turns.  It's a very neutral-driving car.  The faster you go in the turn, the more planted the car feels.  Driving the car does feel like driving an 80's Eurosport car.  A very nice car to drive.

ke1.jpg

Thanks Rodney for sharing! :)

• Tex, havlicek and miko like this

Rick Thigpen
Check out Steve Okeefe's great web site at its new home here at Slotblog:
The Independent Scratchbuilder
There's much more to come...

#2 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,760 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 03:54 PM

Nice car Rick!  Big wire, a lotta lead, and a steel center section!  It almost makes me want to cut up a saw blade...almost ( :D ).  I'll leave that for the real chassis-builders!

-john

John Havlicek

#3 dc-65x

dc-65x

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,900 posts
  • Location:Captain Rick: The only vintage slot car nut in SW Oregon?

Posted 06 June 2016 - 07:30 PM

Thanks John..........and as for "real chassis-builders", you're one of the best chassis builders I've seen! :)

Rick Thigpen
Check out Steve Okeefe's great web site at its new home here at Slotblog:
The Independent Scratchbuilder
There's much more to come...

#4 SlotStox#53

SlotStox#53

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,755 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 09:06 PM

Fantastic car with some cool details. Thanks for sharing Rick & Rodney :good:

From what I've seen John you can build a mean chassis and show those saw blades no mercy :D

Electric Dreams Online Shop