• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Robert BG

Robert BG

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 05:21 PM

I'm getting ready to build my first dragster and I was curious about doing burnouts with them.

I know it's possible as I used to do it with a womp I had big tires that I cut down  and a group 20 motor in.Although they weren't too happy to see me doing them on the hillclimb years ago.But hey I was young and dumb back then.

I would either use a little lighter fluid and hold the car or ease the tires down while flooring it.Of the two the lighter fluid worked the best :D

On the strips do they have a burnout box?or is it still frowned upon.If so could you use a thin block to do a burnout?

Thanks

• Marty N likes this
Robert Fothergill

#2 Robert BG

Robert BG

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 06:41 PM

Oh well,it was fun back then that was for sure.

We were pretty shocked to actually get the tires to smoke though :D

I doubt I'd get away with it these days though ;) That and I wouldnt want to damage someones track doing something stupid.

Robert Fothergill

#3 garyvmachines

garyvmachines

On The Lead Lap

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 12:08 PM

High REVS & no traction are BAD!!!! on com's......

I saw a kiddo do a burnout with a G27 Funny car...... All three com segments thrown from the arm.....WHAT a MESS!!!

GAV 

• macman likes this
Gary Vogeler

#4 Robert BG

Robert BG

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 12:32 PM

I highly doubt they'd want idiots frying tires on the strip but who knows :D  Although with just a little lighter fluid you could probably get some heat in the tires by the time it evaporates.

No glue drags would be kinda fun but I doubt the car I'm putting together would do too well without the sticky stuff.

It's a DRS cobalt chassis I ended up with and I'll either put a old open in it if I can find one cheap and nice if not I have a old Camen 27 I can use for it.

The body is a old 66-67 Chevelle body that I thought was a GTO until I dug it out.I must have got the Chevy though because my dad had a 66 convertible around when I was racing before.

It isnt perfect as it got a few dings in storage but for a little lightweight lexan body it's good enough.Considering the car is going to be 90% spare parts I dug up.

Robert Fothergill

#5 Coal Train

Coal Train

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 05:57 PM

The no bar cars in australian where the no bar cars came from has a rule that states the cars must perform a lighter fuel burn out across the start line before they stage there cars.
This rule is ment to remove any glue from the tyres as the no bar cars are ment to run with no glue. Guys put small amounts of glue in their lighter fuel so it defeats the purpose.
Robert Keough
Pro motor and car builder
Australian AA/FC quickest car

#6 Ramcatlarry

Ramcatlarry

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 10:12 PM

I almost had some punks arrested when they burned the paint off of MY dragstrip trying to smoke their tires ten years ago.  Only works on concrete.

• macman and Joe Mig like this

Larry D. Kelley, MA
retired raceway owner... (for now)
race directing around Chicago-land

USRA 2017 member #404
USSCA  member

Host 2006 ISRA/USA
Great Lakes Slot Car Club member
60+ year pin Racing rail/slot cars in America

#7 Superbird

Superbird

Cast your magic spell my way. I promise to go under it.

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 06:57 AM

In terms of performance (as the other guys have related) burnouts don't achieve much. Warming the tire will improve grip slightly but you can achieve more by cleaning and adding a little goop. Spinning tires against sandpaper will get dried goop, dirt and oxidized foam off the tire surface although you risk getting the tire out of round. The car will vibrate (bounce) slightly which will distort the foam no matter how careful you are. I will sand old tires if I'm not very worried about roundness but it is better to use a lathe to resurface a tire. Spinning tires in lighter fluid is one way to clean them but, again, you are better off putting the fluid on the tire and wiping with a cloth.

Back in the day, on my own track, we used to do fire burnouts. We set the car in a small puddle of lighter fluid, lit it and spun 'em up! It tosses flames about a foot into the air which is very impressive with the lights out. Burnouts with open wheel dragsters are the best since there is nothing to block the spray for a big flame display. Of course you want to blow the flame out quickly so nothing actually gets very hot. There is little danger of hurting anything since it is only vapor burning in the first few seconds. The biggest risk is if your car fails to run at the critical moment. 

No. Sad to say, but giant wheelies, smoking tires, fire burnouts and Estes rocket racing are all part of an earlier era of drag racing. Nobody (but me) climbs over cars with a monster truck, crushes cars with a tank or does Dukes of Hazzard barn jumps on a public track. Bracket Racers today are a serious lot and have little interest in Half-Time shows. 

• garyvmachines likes this
Pete Shreeves

#8 macman

macman

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 01:02 PM

Spinning your tires in a little bit of lighter fluid cleans them, which is good for no bars & other no glue cars... what you are building will need glue, and does not sound like a consistent bracket car... but fun for the occasional blast.

Ben Kernan
Formerly of SARN

Yes, I am a sarcastic, smart-azz, know-it-all old bastard of a genius. 
What is old is new again... Retro... Gotta love it !!!
"May all your inlines be Retro, my son."
The Englelman: a truly superior design.

#9 88honcho

88honcho

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 08:32 PM

No. Sad to say, but giant wheelies, smoking tires, fire burnouts and Estes rocket racing are all part of an earlier era of drag racing. Nobody (but me) climbs over cars with a monster truck, crushes cars with a tank or does Dukes of Hazzard barn jumps on a public track. Bracket Racers today are a serious lot and have little interest in Half-Time shows. 

Living the BITD half time show.

Attached File  Stock final round xxE.mp4.wmv   1.33MB   34 downloads

• garyvmachines likes this
Nicholas Killmer

#10 mdiv

mdiv

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 10:57 PM

Sam,

Do you drag race at Slots-a-Lot?

Mike DiVuolo

C.A.R.S. Vintage Slot Car Club

"Prosecutors will be violated"

#11 mdiv

mdiv

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 08:29 PM

Hi Sam,

1:1?

Reason I'm asking is just I'd like to see some pictures  -- there's a local guy that used to drag race and he really spent a lot of time detailing his cars.  First cool looking willy's with rattle can alclad chrome blew my mind.  He's got a few others that are just bitchin'.  I haven't seen him in a few years now but over the past 10 years we've ran into each other probably 6-7 times at my local track.  He shows me his dragsters, I show him my vintage stuffs.

Good stuffs!

Mike

• Joe Mig likes this

Mike DiVuolo

C.A.R.S. Vintage Slot Car Club

"Prosecutors will be violated"

#12 Joe Mig

Joe Mig

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 09:19 PM

Mike SAL has a DRAG F/B PAGE .
Check it out for pictures.
Joseph Migliaccio. Karma it's a wonderful thing.

"Drive it like you're in it!!!"

"If everything feels under control... you are not going fast enough!"

Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

#13 David Stevens

David Stevens

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 02:50 PM

In terms of performance (as the other guys have related) burnouts don't achieve much. Warming the tire will improve grip slightly but you can achieve more by cleaning and adding a little goop. Spinning tires against sandpaper will get dried goop, dirt and oxidized foam off the tire surface although you risk getting the tire out of round. The car will vibrate (bounce) slightly which will distort the foam no matter how careful you are. I will sand old tires if I'm not very worried about roundness but it is better to use a lathe to resurface a tire. Spinning tires in lighter fluid is one way to clean them but, again, you are better off putting the fluid on the tire and wiping with a cloth.

Back in the day, on my own track, we used to do fire burnouts. We set the car in a small puddle of lighter fluid, lit it and spun 'em up! It tosses flames about a foot into the air which is very impressive with the lights out. Burnouts with open wheel dragsters are the best since there is nothing to block the spray for a big flame display. Of course you want to blow the flame out quickly so nothing actually gets very hot. There is little danger of hurting anything since it is only vapor burning in the first few seconds. The biggest risk is if your car fails to run at the critical moment. 

Car crushing and wheelies .....   https://www.youtube....oMFV88MQ&t=254s

Tank car crushing  .....  https://www.youtube....JU36LEHU&t=106s

Dukes of Hazzard jumps....  https://www.youtube....h?v=n_R_u-QmIak

Electric Dreams Online Shop