• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Car-2

Car-2

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 11:21 AM

Been thinking through my first C can build using the Koford epoxy when I realized duh... plastic end bell and the oven may not get along. I had assumed I would insert the slug and use the end bell to position things properly but I am not sure if the Koford end bell would take the heat.

Robert Uzzi

#2 Robert BG

Robert BG

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 12:30 PM

Depending on what epoxy you are using chances are you wont need to heat it so hot that the endbell will melt(I dont recall the temp for Kofords stuff).If your toaster oven doesnt go very low and you're afraid to melt things I've stuck C cans on top of a 60 watt lightbulb with good results.I also do this when my wife is around ;) I just make a little stand of sorts from aluminum foil to make a flat spot to set it and leave it there while I'm working on something else.It gets plenty hot and might even be a hair more than the toaster oven but I've never had a problem with plastic endbells,new or old.

Robert Fothergill

#3 Car-2

Car-2

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 12:32 PM

Kofords cures at 360 f.

Robert Uzzi

#4 Pablo

Pablo

Builder

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,006 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 01:21 PM

I'd find a way to keep your EB's out of the oven if I were you.

I can think of three possible solutions:

-find an aluminum EB, true the bushing/bearing, and use that as your "dummy" oven alignment tool.

-get everything set up with the (real) EB, place a couple microdots of Super Glue to temporarily secure the mags in position, let dry for a minute, remove EB carefully, bake.

-get the can and mags set with the slug, give it a "rough" alignment with the EB before securing the bearing/bushing, remove it, and wait until after the can/mags are done before setting the bearing/bushing alignment in the EB.

Mike Swiss is the guy to ask, I'm sure he can give the best info.

Paul Wolcott

#5 Car-2

Car-2

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 01:27 PM

Hopefully Mike will drift by and see this.

Robert Uzzi

#6 Robert BG

Robert BG

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 02:26 PM

Mike is the Koford expert that is for sure.

360 is pretty toasty for setting mags but Koford does know a thing or two more then most about these things.

I would probably zap them afterwards because of the heat.But I'd like to hear what Mike has to say on this myself.

I wouldnt recommend doing this but if it was mine I'd set them in place,let it start to setup on the lightbulb or toaster oven I use and then about halfway in I'd pull it off.Let it cool enough to super glue the edges,pull the endbell and slug carefully,pray the magnets didnt come out and then finish it in the oven at the proper time and temp.But like I said I wouldnt recommend it because when the magnets fall out when you smack the wall I dont want to be the reason behind it ;)

Robert Fothergill

#7 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,757 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 03:02 PM

Well...you could use JB Weld if the motor is less than a military-spec weapon of war.  It will speed cure nicely at any elevated temperature since it will also cure at room temp.   200 degrees and it will be safe to pull out of the oven in 10-15 minutes and no decent end bell will have a problem with that temperature.

-john

John Havlicek

#8 Car-2

Car-2

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 03:06 PM

With the speeds wing cars run and not ruling out any wall shots something pretty strong might be advisable. Although they tend to take flight before the wall! :)

Robert Uzzi

#9 Koford fan

Koford fan

Rookie Keyboard Racer

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 03:32 PM

I cure my magnet in oven for 180 degree for 1 hour to 1 hour 30 minute using slug, yes without endbell but c-can have bushing in place of course. Some do cure with ball bearing, but it can feel grainy after been in oven.

Id prefer bushing, then install ball bearing after cured. Tough iv cured with ball bearing too without major problem.

Tom Blantern

#10 Robert BG

Robert BG

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 08:13 PM

With the speeds wing cars run and not ruling out any wall shots something pretty strong might be advisable. Although they tend to take flight before the wall! :)

I've been running a big 220ft engleman and that flat 180 off the straight is pretty rough if you dont time it right ;) I've twisted a frame,bent hubs,broken gears but have yet to lose a magnet.Part of it all was my fault for trying to run low down force bodies to pick up speed on the long straights but it's been fun.

Robert Fothergill

#11 Car-2

Car-2

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 08:22 PM

Yeah I'm going to mainly be running a 155 foot King with good power. Lap times for one motor box stock are about 2.3 seconds and competition is pretty tight.

Robert Uzzi

#12 Robert BG

Robert BG

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 12:46 AM

My local track has a king but its been down for a little while so I run what I can to test motors.I run Int 15's and 27 lights and will probably race at The Track in MD this weekend if all goes as planned.

International 15's are pretty serious up this way and there's plenty of guys running 27 Lites too.

That track must be pretty fast,one motor I-15 pros are running 2.3's up at Port Jeff and 27 L's are low 1.9's high 1.8's and its one of the fastest tracks around I know of.

Robert Fothergill

#13 Car-2

Car-2

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 01:18 AM

Opens are running 1.5's. Heck a Flexi LMP with a Hawk 7 first time out I was running 3.5's on it The record for LMP's is 3.2's.

Robert Uzzi

Electric Dreams Online Shop