• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gc4895

gc4895

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 03:11 PM

Help, what is the best way to keep tires at their best??? I have seen some use sun screen, the new wipe it on and it feels dry, not greasy kind.

What works for you all? Is it a home brew or are their commercially available potions?

I used to leave my car in my wooden box unprotected but no longer. I'm placing all cars in baggies to keep the wood from sucking the life out of my tires. I'm also getting a lot less rust!!!

Ok, so along with taking the tires off the car and popping back into the original containers, what is the preferred strategy for maximum tire prep???

Thanks!
  • Tim Neja likes this
Mark Bauer

#2 Hworth08

Hworth08

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 07:57 PM

The Trinity tire treatments such as Zip Grip work well.

For home tracks including plastic, Castor Oil has worked very well over 50 years.

Some use Oil of Wintergreen.

Most commercial track racers jig their chassis to tech with the minimum diameter rear tire allowed. After 200 or 300 laps they're too small to start another race.

I fold the Scott brand blue paper towels to sit cars on in the box so the tires don't touch anything. In the old days we transported the cars up-side down to avoid flat spotting the tires.

• Tim Neja and gc4895 like this
Don Hollingsworth

#3 Tim Neja

Tim Neja

Grand Champion Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,368 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 09:59 PM

The best tire lotion I've used was made by Bronco Barney!! He called it "Love Lotion"    It's Coppertone regular sun lotion---SPF 30 or so---then trans stop leak -- about %5  by volume--and if you want a little sticky at the end--some oil of wintergreen-- about another %5 by volume.  Mix that up and use it on the tires for treating and cleaning!! Wiipe a small amount on--let it sit a few minutes and then wipe it off clean! You're GOOD TO GO!!   As good a tire condition as anything I've ever tried.
FWIW

• gc4895 likes this
She's real fine, my 409!!!

Electric Dreams Online Shop