• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Dayble

Dayble

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 12:48 AM

I've Modded a lot of the Carrera Classic LeMans cars with various pieces and parts up to Frankenslot.de precision running gear but I decided it was now the time to chuck everything below the body and try my favorite #4 Ferrari 512S Carrera body on a racing chassis.

IMG_5675_zpsnvnfxfmj.jpg

Lately it looks like Plafit and Scholer are history and while some of those and even Slotfabrik and Do-Slot chassis are available it is the $50 ish, Spanish made Sloting Plus #SP800001 universal stainless steel chassis that caught my attention as a racy alternative to to the $100 plus jobs. I am not a fan of the folded metal axle carriers, preferring the solid blocks but hey, even Scaleauto has gone this route and so I decided to give it a go. I was impressed with the fit and finish of this chassis and the excellent assembly instruction sheet that came with it.

IMG_5653_zpsajz9gyvx.jpg

The chassis is laid out much like the old Plafit SPL-1700 that I an familiar with and so right away I was able to tell that the front axle carrier was out too far and needed to be mounted facing the rear to fit the short 512S wheelbase.

IMG_5651_zpspg2gbdkh.jpg

I tried mounting a long can motor but as I suspected it hit the RR tire, no worries, I have a "Plafit PL8635 "Fox IV" Motor With lead wires 26,000 RPM 187g-cm torque", ""recently updated"" lump coming to drive 10/44 Scaleauto sidewinder gears and axles to BRM 512M Wheels and tires.

Here's where it gets fun.

I had the rear old, good, 057 rear wheels with tired and floppy BRM wornout foams. Those get new 057 donuts glued and trued and after the gold "Firestone" sidewall decals arrive will get "silicoated"©️ with the flowable good stuff.

For the fronts I had a pair of the low profile slick 056 tires but no front wheels to mount them on. I did however have another pair of 057 rear wheels made for the rubber tires and so I got to play on the TAIG lathe! I narrowed them and then went up inside and deepened the recessed area for the BRM inserts to fit.

Off to the paint box with the greenish BRM Ferrari wheel inserts for a coat of Tamiya Fine Surface Primer (L) and three thin coats of Tamiya TS-21 Gold.

It was quite obvious that the front tires were going to rub on the front of the main chassis plate and the H plate mounting nuts and so the H plate had to be shortened and the mounting points moved rearward.

IMG_5655_zpsfn4t63ax.jpg

IMG_5656_zpsxo4ngar6.jpg

Once that was done by trimming on the tiny Dremel Tablesaw and drilling and countersinking on the Little Machine Shop™️ Mini-Mill I had a good fit and was ready to move on to setting up the track and wheelbase and preparing to mount the body using the upright Scaleauto universal body mounts.

IMG_5659_zpsnt22lhve.jpg

IMG_5662_zpscm1hws25.jpg

A lot more to do but that will have to wait until parts arrive. I'll update this when it all comes together.

IMG_5665_zpskwamz8t4.jpg

I may even post it some places where I've heard people who do this type of build called "assemblers".

That's ok... Enzo Ferrari said that of McLaren, Tyrrell and Chapman to name a few who had no small measure of success.

Let's see how it goes on the track.

Until Part Two...

• Tex, miko and Frank Godbey like this
Dave Deuble

AZGR One

I'd rather be racing!

#2 rvec

rvec

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 07:06 AM

Dave,

Great looking car. The short wheelbase made it a lot more work I see. I was wondering when you would start experimenting with modified H bracket cars. Anyway, it will be interesting to see how it runs. Some mods for the future might include front and side pans for better handling. We use .062 brass but that might be heavy for the motors you are using. I might start by trying .03 brass and tune with lead.

As you know, we have been running H bracket chassis like Scaleauto, Scholer, Plafit and Slotting plus for quite a while. For our tracks we add .062 front and side pans to improve handling.

Check out the post for a modified Scaleauto http://slotblog.net/...auto-super-car/

Check out the post for a modified Scholer http://slotblog.net/...true-scale-gt1/

Check this thread out for slotting plus modified chassis. You will have to cursor down quite a bit for the images. http://slotblog.net/...raceway-111915/

Rich Vecchio

#3 Dayble

Dayble

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 10:19 AM

Thanks Rich. I probably will have to add some weight to this car and I like some of what Ron has done and will keep that in mind. I'll post more pics when I get it sorted out.

Glad to see that you guys are still having fun up there.

Dave Deuble

AZGR One

I'd rather be racing!

#4 rvec

rvec

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 10:25 AM

Dave,
Thanks we are. Ron and I have set up stock scale autos maybe for a new class. See the link http://www.slotcaril...1981#post971981 Also check out the article on the Scale Racing Center http://slotblog.net/...wa/#entry645019

Rich Vecchio

#5 cdtanner

cdtanner

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 07:04 PM

Nice job shortening the H plate. We used the Sloting Plus chassis under the old Monogram Chaparral 2D body. It works quite well. Good luck with your project.

#6 rvec

rvec

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 07:44 PM

Nice job shortening the H plate. We used the Sloting Plus chassis under the old Monogram Chaparral 2D body. It works quite well. Good luck with your project.

Hey Chris,
Post some images if you have them

Rich Vecchio

#7 cdtanner

cdtanner

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 07:50 PM

Hi Rich,

I mounted the body on the chassis and sold it to a friend. I will get some pictures Thursday - our race night.

#8 rvec

rvec

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 08:02 PM

Hi Rich,

I mounted the body on the chassis and sold it to a friend. I will get some pictures Thursday - our race night.

Great Chris, Thanks.
I used to live in DFW and raced at a place in FW run by a guy named Mark. Also raced at slots of fun in Dallas. Ancient history I guess. My brother lives in Rockwall and when I visit I'll try to come and run with you guys. Where are you racing these days?

Rich Vecchio

#9 cdtanner

cdtanner

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 09:43 AM

Hi Rich,

We race Scaleauto & BRM cars 1 Saturday a month at Dallas Slot Cars in Garland, TX. We also have a club track in Tyler, TX where we race every Thursday night. We would like to race with you when ever you are in the area. You can see some pictures of our club track here:

http://slotblog.net/...lot-cars-tyler/

Dave, I apologize for the thread drift. I will create a new topic when I post some pictures of our cars.

#10 rvec

rvec

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 10:03 AM

Very cool track.

Rich Vecchio

#11 Dayble

Dayble

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 10:29 AM

No apology needed Chris it was Rich that took it over... He's pretty awesome so I let him get away with that.

I'm interested in your racing group so when you do that post please notify me. I only follow a few threads, not enough time for all of it. To see our posts you can search AZGR here on Slotblog.

Yesterday I got the new tire donuts glued up on the rear wheels and ordered the gold Firestone logo and trim stripe decals for the tires from Strada Sports. Cleaning the garage today for tomorrow's AZGR race but maybe I'll get the tires trued.

Dave Deuble

AZGR One

I'd rather be racing!

#12 rvec

rvec

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 01:22 PM

Sorry Dave, My fault. My mind was beginning to wander.

Rich Vecchio

#13 Dayble

Dayble

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 08:57 PM

Ok. Time to reclaim this space! (At least until it's all lost in the web space continuum.)

I have finished the chassis conversion and have track tested it at Steve Hill's "Cherry Hills" Hillclimb and I am HAPPY! It came out really well. It's not a NDW/Fola/ Slotfabrik racer or such but it is really fun to drive.

So where did I leave off? Oh yeah, that last pic of it mocked up that looks like an old school Funny Car.

So the parts started coming in, first was the Speedline "Vintage Tire Markings" decals from Stradasports.com. These are top quality waterslide decals that have the gold stripe for Firestone and the blue stripe for Goodyear and a bunch of other markings on one page. They are excellent. They are also the hardest damned decals I have ever applied to anything!!! It took about one hour per tire!

To start that story I had started with the 917/512 BRM wheels and a pair of BRM foam donuts. I glued those onto the bare rear rims and after a day of curing turned them down on my tire truer. I coated the sidewalls with Micro Kristal Klear and let that dry and then fought these beautiful hair thin slivers of gold foil onto the front and rear tires to try to keep it as real as possible. They are two semi-circular pieces per tire and it was stupid hard to get them straight! Thank the Gods for Micro Set! I doubt I'll ever do that again. After all that dried for two days I silicoated©️ the rear tires

(Hey Webster's, publish my word! It means coating with silicone.) 

and glazed the fronts tires with Sally Hanson's Hard as Nails clear coat.

2_zpsgd73urae.jpg

3_zps2snux66c.jpg

After clear coating with the Kristal Klear and letting that dry I turned down the O.D. of the BRM wheel inserts to resemble a real car, not a DUB car...

4_zpsjbxvut5c.jpg

5_zpse9jsbrtt.jpg

That's better.

Next was stealing all of the good trim pieces off of the Carrera chassis. The exhaust and Transmission detail piece is incredible in it's detail for a toy car. I had to have that and it was mounted on the toy chassis, so I pried that off and ShooGoo'ed it to the body with a piece of Plafit mounting foam as reinforcement. Great detail, I used it as is!

1_zpswa3bk5lb.jpg

Next were the lights. This car had the center mounted driving lights and front and rear lights. I unsnapped the PC boards from the chassis and unplugged them from the circuit board and rewired them and glued them into the body and then kicked it all on with a Slot-it SIPT06 light kit that has front and rear and brake lights. I channeled one of the front circuits to the L&R combined headlight board and one to the driving lights.

8_zpsjeywxqnc.jpg

9_zpssrnex7ln.jpg

The only other difficulty in using this chassis with this body and wheel combination was mounting the guide flag. The tongue is intended to sit atop the chassis but then the guide flag looked like this...

6_zpssyuf8ndt.jpg

That won't work! So I mounted the tongue on the bottom of the chassis plate and still needed some standoffs. I used 2mm nuts from the kit.

7_zpsztuf0atb.jpg

So I finally got it on the track and it was great right out of the box. So to speak. I had run the new style Fox motor at break-in voltage for about a half an hour but it took about another 50 or so laps before the lump started to come alive. Not bad on Steve's track with Scaleauto 10/44 gearing but more time is needed to tune it correctly.

All in all I'm pretty happy with the result, good power and handling, good speed and cool lights... well except for the blue headlights that no car of that era had. Ever! I'll be replacing those LEDs soon.

11_zpszt7fwpzl.jpg

10_zpsxuegjas1.jpg

I'm also considering this chassis for a couple of other projects. A Japanese McLaren kitbash ,

14_zps0vimzwi0.jpg

and a Neckcheese Ferrari 312P ...

15_zpswmkmdkub.jpg

It might be a while but they will NOT be getting striped side walls!   

Dave Deuble

AZGR One

I'd rather be racing!

#14 rvec

rvec

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 09:32 PM

looks great!
  • Dayble likes this

Rich Vecchio

#15 cdtanner

cdtanner

Backmarker

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 July 2016 - 09:43 PM

Nice job on the tires and lights Dave. There's a lot of work in those two items alone.

#16 CruzinBob

CruzinBob

Track Owner, Builder, Mobile Track Master

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 12:34 AM

Wow! Retirement agrees with you Dave ✌️
Bob Scott
Cruzin' Mobile Slot Car Racing

Men can heal the lustful. Angels can heal the malicious. Only God can heal the proud. - St. John Climacus

Electric Dreams Online Shop