• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 dc-65x

dc-65x

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,934 posts
  • Location:Captain Rick: The only vintage slot car nut in SW Oregon?

Posted 11 July 2016 - 08:10 PM

This thread by Rodney will be his memories of the fun times had at a terrific raceway. It had a my favorite track of all time. It was a large road course with a LONG front straight you could really open up the cars up on.

Take it away Rodney! :)

SLOT CAR JUNTION VINTAGE DAYS

In the 1990's commercial slot car racing made a big come back.  Our favorite raceway was Slot Car Junction in  South San Francisco. Slot Car Junction held monthly vintage race days. 

THE RACE CLASSES AS I REMEMBER THEM:

Vintage slot cars Basically pre 1967 slot cars.  Started as stock 36D/Hemi powered cars.  The most popular class.

Little Cucarachas American Line Repop 1/32 La Cucaracha kit cars.

American Line Hot Rod kit cars American Line brass frame 36D powered slot cars with hot rod roadster bodies.

Can Am cars with modern flexi chassis

Can Am cars with vintage Riggen Group 22 chassis

Bob Ward 1/32 slot car class.  Dynamic chassis based cars.  Endurance and Can Am bodies.

TODAY WE HAVE A COUPLE OF MARK MANION CAN AM LOLA T260 CAN AM CARS

Mark Manion painted both Lolas. When Eric and I saw Mark run one of the Lolas it really caught our attention.  The Lola looked so cool. The Manion Lolas have 3 1/4" wide Lexan bodies that I think are Beta brand.

Lolas.jpg

Small tire Lola (Black velocity stacks):

lola4.jpg

lola7.jpg

The small tire Lola (black velocity stacks) was built and raced by Mark Manion at Slot Car Junction.  The car was built for the Can Am Flexi car chassis class.  I purchased this car from Mark.  I also raced this car at Slot Car Junction.  I finished around 5th in one of the races.  I had the best looking car in the race.

Mark used soda straws for velocity stacks!  A modern (for back then) Champion chassis is used (lola3 picture) .  This is one of the best driving flexi chassis cars I have ever driven.  The car is powered by a S16D.  Rear tires are .765" Alphas.  The motor currently in the car is not the original one.

Large tire Lola (Silver velocity stacks):

lola1.jpg

lola2.jpg

lola6.jpg

lola3.jpg

lola5.jpg

I purchased the painted body from Mark. I built this car to run in the Can Am class with Riggen Group 22 chassis (lola7 picture). I added Lancer chrome velocity stacks, door lines, transaxle detail and home made L&M decals to the body.  As per the rules, a chrome plated Riggen Group 22 chassis is used.  American Line rear tires and RVM fronts were installed.  The car is powered by a Mura A can motor.

The Riggen Group 22 chassis are some of the best driving production angle-winder chassis.  I think the Riggen chassis has more rear tire bite than a standard Group 20 chassis. tail out driving with the Riggen chassis.

I never got a chance to run this car in a race.  I ran a Ken built Lotus 40 in subsequent races.

Lap times for both cars on the road course shown.  The "modern" Champion chassis car is a little faster than the vintage Riggen chassis car.

Next featured cars will be the Ken built Lotus 40 and the Russ Toy "Mirror Image" Riggen chassis Can Am car.  You will find the Russ car be amazing.

Thanks Rodney! We look forward to you next posting. :)

• hiline2, Tex and team burrito like this

Rick Thigpen
Check out Steve Okeefe's great web site at its new home here at Slotblog:
The Independent Scratchbuilder
There's much more to come...

#2 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,930 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 08:32 PM

Thanks for sharing, I really miss the raceway in SSF and the MTT track. I also ran my HO cars there as well.

Dennis David

curb-line2.jpg

gph_sm.jpg

#3 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,250 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 09:46 PM

Rick, this Rodney article is a good reqad!  Those "Riggen Grp. 22" chassis made by AYK frequently show up on eBay. At one time Rehco had a good supply of new ones in their warehouse. I look forward to reading the next installment which includes the Lotus 40 & the "Mirror Image" can Am.

Bill Fernald

Used puppets for sale!

No springs attached.

#4 dc-65x

dc-65x

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,934 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 10:32 AM

I asked Rodney if he had any pictures of Slot Car Junction and luckily he has. Here they are:

ju7.jpg

The track in the background was their glorious MTT, a fabulous flat road course:

ju9.jpg

ju6.jpg

ju5.jpg

The track was modified late in its life by Hasse Nilsson. A rhythm busting squiggle replaced a short straight:

ju2.jpg

"To each his own", but Rodney and I did not care for the change. That's our great friend Eric (The Historian) in the background:

ju3.jpg

Lastly, here's a couple of shots of the HO track:

ju1.jpg

Rodney's comment, "My daughters running HO cars in picture below.  Look closely for the orange T-Jet hot rod.  The orange hot rod is the car I ran to win the T-Jet race." Best raceway ever!

ju8.jpg

Thanks Rodney!

• team burrito likes this

Rick Thigpen

#5 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,930 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 12:36 PM

Yeah the squiggle was not an improvement. First time
I've ever seen pictures of the raceway since it closed. I still look wistfully at the old location every time I'm through there I used to live on Oceanside off of Southgate in DC.

Nice to see Voltaire and his brother as well.

Dennis David

curb-line2.jpg

gph_sm.jpg

#6 dc-65x

dc-65x

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,934 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 04:27 PM

More Slot Car Junction Memories- Two Can Am cars:

Here are two cars that raced at Slot Car Junction in the mid 1990s.  Two cars for the Can Am Riggen Group 22 chassis class.

GREEN LOTUS

The Green Lotus was built by Ken.  I won a race with this one.  The Lotus has the silver can motor.  The car has a D can motor that is legal for this class.  I added the decals and some of the detail to the Lotus.

BLUE AND WHITE Ti22

The Blue and white Ti22 is a Russ Toy built and run car.  This car won every race entered with Russ doing the driving.  This car is shown with a black can motor.  The car was raced by Russ with a D-can motor.  I added the Ti22 body.

CHASSIS

Note the picture of the bottom view of the cars.  Note, the motor box configurations and the spur gear locations.  The chassis are mirror images!  The Lotus with the silver motor has a stock Riggen chassis.  The Ti22 with the black can motor has the specially built Russ Toy chassis.

The Russ chassis allows the D-can motor to run in the normal direction.  With the stock Riggen chassis, the D-can motor (installed can drive) has to be reverse timed to run in the proper direction.  Reverse timing a motor works fine although reverse timed motors never seem to go as fast as an unmolested motor.  Hence. Russ had what Mark Donahue would call an unfair advantage with the mirror image chassis.

In building the mirror image chassis there is more to building one than flipping the main rails, pans and motor bracket.  I think some new rails were made to make the mirror image version.

RUNNING THE CARS

Lap times on the road course are shown.  The lap times with the Russ car are close to a modern Champion Flexi chassis.

The timer/lap counter for the Blue King broke so no Blue King times today.

These two cars are great fun to drive. Neutral handling.

cleardot.gif

ca1.jpg

ca2.jpg

ca3.jpg

ca4.jpg

ca5.jpg

ca6.jpg

ca7.jpg

Thanks Rodney!

• Tex, team burrito and Samiam like this

Rick Thigpen

#7 SlotStox#53

SlotStox#53

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,804 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 10:52 PM

Very nice! Thanks for showing Rick & Rodney :good: Always liked the shiny Riggen chassis, hearing how well they go makes me want to dig one out of the parts box :D

#8 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 8,250 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 05:05 AM

Both cars look great. That's a neat creation by Russ Toy. I doubt building something like that would have been legal at most of the east coast raceways I've run at.

Paul, at one time REHCO had these chassis coming out their ears. I don't know if that's still true, but they will occasionally show up on that famous auction site. :)

Bill Fernald

Used puppets for sale!

No springs attached.

#9 dc-65x

dc-65x

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,934 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 10:08 AM

Thanks guys.   :)   Here's another beautiful car and the story behind it from Rodney:

Bob Ward came to Slot Car Junction a few times in the mid 1990's  Rick and I raced against him with 1/32 cars in a race run by Bob Ward.  Bob Ward is a famous 1/32 scale slot car racer/builder.  I and others call him Mr. 1/32nd scale. 

More on the 1/32 race at Junction another time. This time I am covering a 1/24th scale slot car built by Bob Ward. The article on the from Bob Ward is below:

Article by Bob Ward:

1/24 Scale Ford Probe GTP

There was a club down in Oregon where I occasionally raced. In 2004 they decided to put on a race for hard body 1/24 scale cars. I couldn’t be there in person but I arranged for one of the club members to race a car for me. Then I had to think of some kind of car to build. This is what I came up with:

unnamed.jpg

The car I built, this Ford Probe GTP car, is a Tamiya 1/24 scale RC car body on a brass chassis that is something of a scaled-up version of the 1/32 scale chassis I was building at the time.

unnamed(1).jpg

The motor, if I remember correctly, was an International Group 15 (a Gp15 arm but balanced and epoxied.) It was something mild, because the track power, I was warned, was somewhat anemic for cars of this size and weight. My Probe led the race handily, despite being somewhat slow on the straight, until the motor failed. I found out later it was not because the motor was over-stressed but because it had a random component failure. That was the one and only time this car was raced. I sold it in 2009.

More from Rodney on this cool car:

I purchased the car from Bob and painted the blue and white body for the chassis.  I repaired the motor and replaced the rear wheels and tires. The car is easy to drive.  It does drive like a heavy car though. Lots of gear noise resonating in the model car body. Lap time on the road course.

pr1.jpg

pr2.jpg

pr3.jpg

pr4.jpg

pr5.jpg

Thanks Rodney!

• Tex, team burrito and Samiam like this

Rick Thigpen

#10 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 8,250 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 01:23 PM

I remember Bob Ward from the early days of OWH. He used to post a number of 1/32 building tips that could also be applied  to 1/24 cars. The first two 1/32 proxy races, later to be known as the Marconi Races, were held on Bob's home track in Washington state. I don't recall that track's name, but do recall seeing it for sale on eBay about 6-8 years ago.  I hadn't know him to build 1/24 scale cars before.

Bill Fernald

Used puppets for sale!

No springs attached.

#11 Martin

Martin

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 12:38 AM

Slot car junction was the place I re-found my love for this hobby. Wrap? and Voltaire were great hosts and I loved the swap meet after the racing. Good stuff, thanks for the memories.

Martin Windmill

#12 Martin

Martin

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 11:40 AM

I just remembered it was Ramone and Voltaire that ran this place and made us all welcome. Good times.

Martin Windmill

#13 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,930 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 10:36 PM

I still miss the place ...

Dennis David

curb-line2.jpg

gph_sm.jpg

#14 Mattb

Mattb

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 08:55 AM

Nice bit of history. This was a time when there was no local racing scene and all I did was collect. It must have been great to have a shop like this and a bunch of guys to race with. What happened to cause it to shut down?
Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#15 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,930 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 08:25 PM

Rent Increase I heard and paint store moved in :-(

Dennis David

curb-line2.jpg

gph_sm.jpg

#16 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,930 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 08:26 PM

I also think the Yip brothers got a little burned out since they both had other jobs.

Dennis David

curb-line2.jpg

gph_sm.jpg

#17 dc-65x

dc-65x

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,934 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 10:27 AM

More memories from Rodney of Slot Car Junction. This time, vintage racing:

The most popular monthly vintage races at Slot Car Junction were for vintage slot cars.  These races were for cars that had pre-1967 running gear.  Most cars were powered by 36D or Hemi 400 motors.  These races were great fun.

Attached are a couple of pictures of most of the cars I ran in these races.  The single 1/32 scale car won the event we had for 1/32nd scale cars.

vintage1.jpg

Many of the cars raced were basically stock ready to run cars or kit cars.  The Manta Ray and the red STP Russkit Lotus are stock except for the  tires.  The Porsche Carrera 6 has a Dynamic chassis with Pittman 85 power. Cars like the Ferrari 512 and the red Cobra have a more sophisticated Cox brass chassis.

vintage2.jpg

My favorite cars have Dynamic chassis with Dynamic brass pans.  As Eric said, the cars are screwed together and have stock motors.  A couple of these cars are featured.  The Sunoco LolaT70 MK3B won the last vintage race at Slot Car Junction.  It is powered by a stock Hemi 400 motor.  Wheels and tires are American Line brand. 

vintage3.jpg

vintage4.jpg

The Brumos Porsche 917 is powered by a stock 36D. 

vintage6.jpg

vintage7.jpg

Lap times on Eddie's road course are shown.

vintage5.jpg

vintage8.jpg

Thanks for sharing Rodney!  :)

• hiline2 and Tex like this

Rick Thigpen

#18 Mattb

Mattb

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 06:14 PM

Nice looking field of cars.
Matt Bishop

Vintage Cox Slot Cars

#19 Tex

Tex

Grand Champion Poster

• 8,812 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 07:54 PM

The diaplane on thqt Lola T-70 is da bomb!

Richard L. Hofer

Remember, two wrongs don't make a right... but three lefts do! Only you're a block over and a block behind.

Electric Dreams Online Shop