6 replies to this topic

#1 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,198 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 10:43 AM

It seems that, whenever I get one of these...things are pretty rough, and this one was certainly no exception:

IMG_1638_zpshifdxksa.jpg

The rust and pitting/corrosion were deep and all over the place.  I spent a good amount of time and effort getting most all of it off, but stopped when it became apparent that the last bits would mean taking off way too much can material.  "Discretion is the better part of valor" and all!

I did the can up using the VHT "Engine Enamel", and this stuff is clearly a better choice than your typical Rustoleum or Krylon choices.  Harder, more chemical resistant...and more heat resistant also.  The can bushing was sloppier than left over Taco Bell, so I replaced it with a fresh 2mmx6mm one...not a straightforward deal since the original is somewhere around .250" or so.  The end bell screws were replaced with my preferred button head #2 tapping screws, here in the bright/plated version.  All the hardware was cleaned, polished, flattened and reinstalled.

For the arm, I wanted to do something both a little "vintage flavored" but also a good match to the magnets (which were good for the day, but not quite up to Arcos).  So I wound a #31 double as neat as I could, which sould be very fast as well as reliable.  I was able to save the original com, which had very little wear, and it only took a light cut to true it up afterwards:

IMG_1640_zpskucuhxly.jpgIMG_1639_zpsnco4a21r.jpg

Another piece of slot history saved from oblivion, and then some!

-john

• slotbaker, Tex, Jason Holmes and 6 others like this
John Havlicek

#2 olescratch

olescratch

olescratch

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 11:56 AM

Another nice save by the "Doctor Of Arms". Just seeing these motors brings back memories of the times I spent at the track as a kid, hoping that I would be able to buy one someday! Good Job!!!
  • havlicek likes this
John Stewart

#3 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 11,198 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 02:41 PM

Thanks John!  I really do get a charge out of rescuing these things because of exactly the same reasons as you.  So much of this is burned into our memories, it really amazes me...especially when I can't even remember my own cellphone number!  

-john

• olescratch likes this
John Havlicek

#4 swodem

swodem

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 04:12 PM

Hey John

Some time back I got into restoring old knives, and most of them were very rusty

I used electrolysis to remove the oxidised metal (it wont touch 'healthy' steel)... maybe that could work for your old rusty cans. Its easy to do, just DO NOT do this with stainless steel

Here are a couple of my threads, the first as I discovered the process and the second on a really rusty project

http://www.fishnhunt...?num=1339143568

http://www.fishnhunt...?num=1347785527

Steve

Steve Meadows

#5 Jairus

Jairus

Body Painter Extraordinaire

• Subscriber
  • 10,174 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 05:30 PM

Is it wrong to like the patina? 

I think it would be great to build a "Rat Rod" slot car with lots of rust and discolored brass.

(Nice save by the way John!)

Jairus H Watson - Artist
Need something painted, soldered, carved, or killed? - jairuswtsn@aol.com

www.slotcarsmag.com

www.jairuswatson.net
http://www.ratholecustoms.com
Check out some of the cool stuff on my Fotki!

#6 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 11,198 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 08:15 PM

Hi guys.  I prefer to get them looking as good as I can, but that's some cool stuff Steve.  

Is it wrong to like the patina?

No way Jairus.  Everyone can express themselves as individuals, and that's where the art comes into slots!

-john

John Havlicek

#7 Isaac S.

Isaac S.

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 10:46 AM

Good job saving a beautiful motor that most would skip over.  

Isaac Santonastaso

Electric Dreams Online Shop