#1 Pete L.

Pete L.

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,306 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 10:17 AM

Fellas,

The August meeting of the C.A.R.S. Vintage Slot Car Club will take place this coming Thursday August 4, 2016 at The Race Place, Farmingdale, N.J. at 7:30 PM.

Peter J. Linszky

C.A.R.S. Vintage Slot Car Club

#2 Pete L.

Pete L.

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,306 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 08:57 AM

Fellas,

A slim turnout as expected due in part to the great weather in the shore area of late...and several 1:1 scale automotive events locally having taken a toll on the turnout I believe.

Nonetheless, I took some of my new/oldies out for some hot laps on The RACE PLACE's big track and the cars really performed well for having spent much time in "the box" of late. A pair of 1/32 scale "racers of the past" and a tried and true Champion TURBOFLEX chassied Ti 22 bodied past racer in 1/24 scale.

As stated above the cars did run well and I feel it's due in part to a theory I'm using to try and preserve the rear tires for longer periods of time. I use a two pronged attack, I put each of the cars in a Ziplock bag to prevent air from drying out the rubber. I stole that idea from a former member who was using the method almost ten years ago.

Prior to putting the cars into the ziplocks, I coat the tires in TIRE GLUE further insuring that air doesn't dry them out.

Now I don't slather the tires, I just  put on enough to cover the tread AND the sidewall without it being a mess. You must remember to place the cars in their Ziplock bags the same way each time so as not to smear extra glue allover the car, this can be accomplished by marking the Ziplock bags appropriately. 

Then the next time you get to the track, simply use the tire cleaner of your choice, I use lighter fluid, to clean the tires and go to it !  I use this method on foam/natural rubber tires, I haven't attempted this with the older solid rubber tires of the sixties.

The method seems to work for me, give it a try...

A few pics from last night: First the cars that I was running, next a shot of their chassis, all recent 1980's contraptions if you will. Finally an impatient pilot awaiting his turn on the track.

Attached Images

• DSCN5805.JPG
  • DSCN5806.JPG
  • DSCN5807.JPG

Peter J. Linszky

C.A.R.S. Vintage Slot Car Club

Electric Dreams Online Shop