• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dayble

Dayble

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 12:18 AM

I finally broke down and bought a couple sets of 1/24th wheel inserts when I saw how JohnK turned them down to fit deep within the wheels of his beautiful cars. Very cool for the older model applications. I center drilled and turned them on a cut off wheel spindle chucked in the lathe till they had a nice interference fit in the wheel. I then redrilled the centers to 7/64th to easily slide over the axle. That's when I realized that retaining these in the wheel will protect me from losing my substantial investment. The fronts are a no brainer (works for me) I just put them behind the c-clips, a nice mechanical attachment , easily removed for cleaning, etc. The rears however are another story. I've got the tires set out to maximum allowable width which puts the ends of the stock axle flush to the ends of the wheel hubs, not enough to protrude through the inserts. So exalted Dokk, is the front axle wider than the rear? (I don't feel like taking it apart again to measure) and if so is the front axle the same quality of material (drill blank?) and as straight (runout) as the rear? If so I'll order one of those and use the clips at the rear as well. Otherwise can you advise me on the best way you have found for retaining these without getting glue all over the wheels? I looked through the assembly web site and did not see it.
Posted Image
Thanks,
Dave Deuble
Dave Deuble

AZGR One

I'd rather be racing!

#2 BWA

BWA

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 09:28 AM

Easy, peasy, just brush some water-based flat varnish around the edge of the insert. You don't have to be particularily careful either, as it pretty much disappears when dry.

To space the inserts out a bit, if you don't want them so deep, just cut a thin strip of paper, and roll it round in a ring that just fits inside the rim, then press the insert down, untill it just rests on the edge of the paper. Slop on the flat varnish, and you're done.
Al Penrose BWA (Batchelor Without Arts, Eh!)

#3 Dayble

Dayble

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 05:32 PM

Thanks, Al,
I'll use the varnish but not on these. I'm gonna find me some drill blank and make a 2.850" long axle then cut .020" wide slots for the clips, .025" from each end ,and set up the rears just like the fronts. Which I did take apart again the next morning when I was not so tired. Since I got my TAIG lathe, gluing is just too easy. I may have to make a tool to cut the groove but that will be fun, too. Do you have any favorite suppliers for machining equip?
Dave Deuble

AZGR One

I'd rather be racing!

#4 BWA

BWA

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 05:55 PM

Do you have any favorite suppliers for machining equip?

In a word, SHERLINE
Al Penrose BWA (Batchelor Without Arts, Eh!)

#5 TSR

TSR

The Dokktor is IN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,264 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 02:10 PM

EMCO? :)

Philippe de Lespinay

"We are the D..., uh, the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile"

#6 Dayble

Dayble

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 05:07 PM

Thanks, I'll check out both of those.
In the mean time I found "Axles, Extra long" (from a co. that uses animal names) at a local Raceway. They are 2.955" long but because I'm a guy I'll say they are three inches.
:roll:
Dave Deuble

AZGR One

I'd rather be racing!

#7 Dayble

Dayble

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 12:45 AM

Welcome back!
I was looking for a post about wheels and saw that I didn't finish this one. The rear axle modification works very well
Posted Image
Dave Deuble

AZGR One

I'd rather be racing!

Electric Dreams Online Shop