• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Upfront slot cars

Upfront slot cars

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 06:26 AM

Is it true that if you meter several arms of the same type that the ones reading the least resistance will be the best ones ? Wondering if there is a way to sort out the duds from the good ones. I know the real answer is track testing but would like to narrow them down to known good ones before testing. Thanks
Andrew Ford

#2 Phil Hackett

Phil Hackett

Posting Leader

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,219 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 02:40 PM

Is it true that if you meter several arms of the same type that the ones reading the least resistance will be the best ones ? Wondering if there is a way to sort out the duds from the good ones. I know the real answer is track testing but would like to narrow them down to known good ones before testing. Thanks

Yes... but (there's always that word) testing by running is the ultimate way to check arms. When we had the micro ohmmeter you could make good predictions but not all low-reading arms are good and quite a few high-reading arms ran very well.

Your track's power and other factors will determine whether the meter readings are relevant.

Click HERE to contact Sonic Products. The messenger feature on my Slotblog account has been disabled.

Posted Image

#3 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,477 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 03:22 PM

First off, if you're going to meter arms, you'll need a meter that can resolve to the thousandth of an ohm to get a good idea of what's going on.  Meters that can read a tenth are all-but-useless except for a few things.  Having said that, if I were looking at a group of spec arms (*all the "same" wind), I think I might look for more consistent arms...ones with as close to the same reading from pole-to-pole.  After that, I'd further separate them by the ones with the lower resistance readings.

-john

John Havlicek

#4 MSwiss

MSwiss

Grand Champion Poster

• Advertiser
  • 16,953 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 03:48 PM

Both good posts, above.

I'll repeat my real life situation, before mentioned, comment.

A I15 racer, after TQ'ing at the Nat's, commented me "When I metered the arm, before loading, it read real high, but I still put together for a practice motor".

IOW, the meter is OK, but unless you try them all, you might leave your best motor in the box.

Of course, this applies much more when on a track that that particular motor has never run on.

Mike Swiss
IRRA® Components Committee Chairman
Five-time USRA National Champion (two G7, one G27, two G7 Senior)
Two-time G7 World Champion (1988, 1990)

Eight-time G7 King track single lap world record holder (pointless era - LOL)

Chicagoland Raceway
17B West Ogden Ave
Westmont, IL 60559
(708) 203-8003
mikeswiss86@hotmail.com (also my PayPal address) 
Note: Send all USPS packages and mail to: 5858 Chase Ave., Downers Grove, IL 60516. Make checks out to Chicagoland Woodworking, Inc.

#5 idare2bdul

idare2bdul

Grand Champion Poster

• 5,628 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 07:54 PM

The other variables are the can, magnets, air gap,, gearing, brush type and brush length and the ever popular spring tension. Small changes in any of these areas can make a big difference. The guys that can run a harder tire may be blowing by you or they may have a better mounted body. Nobody said this was an easy hobby.

• Tim Neja and Samiam like this
The light at the end of the tunnel is almost always a train.
Mike Boemker

#6 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,526 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 08:13 PM

Hence the popularity of sealed cheap motors.

• Half Fast likes this
Sam Levitch

When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything is a nail.
Support your local raceway, or you won't have one.
Slot cars are quad-pods.
Support your "Local Racer."
:laugh2:

#7 Phil Hackett

Phil Hackett

Posting Leader

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,219 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 09:06 PM

Hence the popularity of sealed cheap motors.

Yup... only trading looking for the magic armature to looking for the magic motor. Nothing has changed.

• Rick, Tim Neja and Jason Holmes like this
Click HERE to contact Sonic Products. The messenger feature on my Slotblog account has been disabled.

Posted Image

#8 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,526 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 08:34 AM

1/24th Amendment:

A well regulated set of rules, being necessary to the security of a fair race, the right of the people to buy and test arms, shall not be infringed.

• Uncle Fred and boxerdog like this
Sam Levitch

Slot cars are quad-pods.

#9 Uncle Fred

Uncle Fred

Checkered Flag in Hand

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 04:15 PM

Towards the end of my spectacular GR27 career I started having arms metered when I sent them out for reconditioning to not noticeable advantage.......

Fred Correnti

#10 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 8,477 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 06:57 AM

All good, but the subject here was *looking at arms only, and even then, just what "metering" might find*.  Certainly there are many many factors when looking at the whole motor, and other things to look for when only looking at the arms.  Andrew even said in his original question:

I know the real answer is track testing but would like to narrow them down to known good ones before testing. Thanks 

I'm a funny guy, I figure we should answer the questions people ask instead of the ones they don't ask (*sorry for the slight snarkiness ;)  ).  I don't have any way of knowing if any results from just metering arms would produce information significant enough that it might show up when considering an entire motor, much less an entire car and body.  I would guess the open and eurosports guys who routinely look at butterfly farts and the weight of one screw vs another might know.   :D

• Tim Neja and Samiam like this
John Havlicek

#11 Samiam

Samiam

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,526 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 07:36 AM

I think metering arms is more effective at finding bad arms. Either defective or way off spec. arms not worth loading up and track testing. I think that is what Mr. Ford is looking to accomplish.

• Ramcatlarry likes this
Sam Levitch

Slot cars are quad-pods.

#12 Ramcatlarry

Ramcatlarry

Checkered Flag in Hand

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 12:59 PM

Metering ONLY evaluates the resistance of the wind an commutator connections.  What it does NOT tell you is the timing of the arm, the shaft condition, balance or rotor web to magnet flux conditions.   Putting an arm in different setups will give different results on the track and on different tracks.

Larry D. Kelley, MA
retired raceway owner... (for now)
race directing around Chicago-land

USRA 2011 member #025-2
USSCA 2015 member
Great Lakes Slot Car Club member
60+ year pin Racing rail/slot cars in America

#13 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 8,477 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 05:10 PM

Metering ONLY evaluates the resistance of the wind an commutator connections.  What it does NOT tell you is the timing of the arm, the shaft condition, balance or rotor web to magnet flux conditions.   Putting an arm in different setups will give different results on the track and on different tracks.

Yes, and like I said, looking for consistency tells you more than that.  As for the other armature factors you mention...that a meter can't tell you, he didn't ask about any of that and for all I know, he's probably aware of those.  Timing and shaft condition can be determined with no fancy gear anyway.  So, metering alone CAN tell you some things...and those alone can be helpful.

-john

• Ramcatlarry likes this
John Havlicek

#14 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 7,857 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 06:06 PM

In the days of old, I used to keep a black on each arm. I kept a second record for springs & motor brushes used with each arm.

Bill Fernald

When chemists die, they barium.

#15 James Grandi

James Grandi

On The Lead Lap

• PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 07:57 PM

To be honest, even when I had a meter set up to read armatures, I never based my decisions off that. I always looked first at the quality of the wind job, and then at the arm timing. How tightly wound each pole was, and if all 3 were well wrapped, was usually a real good indication that it had potential. Most of the time, it was accurate
James Grandi
obSCEne Chassis
HVR BB Fronts
Bodies by Weaver

"There is no such thing as a race you are destined to lose. You will always have a chance."

Electric Dreams Online Shop