5 replies to this topic

#1 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,286 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 07:05 PM

I got to do a couple of neat motors, or at least motors with some neat details.  First off was a venerable Russkit "23"...you know, the actual good version of the "22" ;)  Motor started out as a pretty clean example, and even the end bell wasn't cracked around the bushing.

IMG_1705_zpsg5l2kiis.jpg

So, I did up a build that copies one I did recently that was surprisingly strong.  I installed a set of the better magnets from the Hong Kong Mabuchis, did the normal can bushing replacement, and a 65/30 arm with a Tradeship com.  For paint, I did the VHT white...but then shot a coat of the VHT clear over that for some extra protection.  It's neat-but-a-little-weird, going on with a slight milky appearance, air-drying to a low-gloss finish, but coming back up to a full gloss after oven curing.  Hopefully, it will protect the white, at least a little.  It looks pretty cool so far anyway.

The other motor was an FJ13UO, and one in sad shape at that.  I like doing these more like the "peanut" motors, so I installed a nice set of strong ceramics and fitted a Hawk end bell.  To go with it, I built and wound a 37/27 on a full .440" long stack and did a shiny coat of VHT "Grabber Green".  The neat detail here is that, instead of adapting that big brass bushing carrier to either a fixed bushing or bearing, I removed the whole thing and brazed-in the bushing strap and bushing from a C motor.  I shortened the other end of the can a bit and wound up with a much more compact end result, even though the arm is longer.

Before (blech!):

IMG_1707_zpsskqlevux.jpg

...and both motors after (much better!):
IMG_1708_zpstkthnxfd.jpg

IMG_1706_zpsrlavunbe.jpg

-john

• endbelldrive, slotbaker, Jencar17 and 8 others like this
John Havlicek

#2 slotcarone

slotcarone

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,275 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 08:00 PM

Nice as usual!! :)

• havlicek likes this

Mike Katz

Scratchbuilts forever!!

#3 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 9,286 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 05:45 AM

Thanks Mike!

John Havlicek

#4 tonyp

tonyp

Grand Champion Poster

• Subscriber
  • 13,599 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 07:03 AM

Nice!
  • havlicek likes this

"And if my thought-dreams could be seen they'd probably put my head in a guillotine. But it's alright, Ma, it's life, and life only." - Dylan

1965 "Evil Bucks Racer" Team
Revtech Team Trinity
Noose Painted Bodies
Retro East co-founder
American King track single lap world record holder & 40 minute total lap record
First IM Nationals Champion
Arco Champion
Car Model Magazine Series Amateur Champion
2016 ORS Anglewinder Constructors Championsh
ip

#5 Racer36

Racer36

Race Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 07:12 AM

Nice stuff John! I especially like the 13 UO, or 13D as we called them . When I first got involved in the early 70s there was a guy around here that cut the end out of the cans  and installed an aluminum replacement with ball bearing. He also built endbells with adjustable timing using brushes from a Pittman or something. I wish I still had that stuff.

Dennis Dominey

Lifelong half-assed slot racer

#6 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 9,286 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 04:20 PM

Nice! 

Well, getting one of those from Tony P (and about a Russkit 23 to boot) pretty much made my day :)

Nice stuff John! I especially like the 13 UO, or 13D as we called them . When I first got involved in the early 70s there was a guy around here that cut the end out of the cans  and installed an aluminum replacement with ball bearing. He also built endbells with adjustable timing using brushes from a Pittman or something. I wish I still had that stuff.

Neat stuff Dennis!  I had a love/hate relationship with the "littlest Mabuchis" as a kid.  I dewound some and they ran better...for a while, until they smoked.  I rewound some, shimming the magnets, and those ran better...but for even less time and then they smoked too.  It never dawned on me that those godawful magnets were beyond hope.  I've done some with the "poly neos" yanked from Falcons, and they make for a really nice motor.  I've done one or two with the really strong "solid neos" and those are almost too much even with the better Hawk end bell.  I'll probably do another with the solid neos and this can treatment...just to go for the gusto!

-john

• Racer36 likes this
John Havlicek

Electric Dreams Online Shop