6 replies to this topic

#1 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,286 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 06:55 AM

You know, it's not all about Green Cans with elephant ears and bussbars.  This motor was in generally excellent shape, and is a C can, but with a simpler end bell (earlier?) and straight-ahead hardware.  Of course, the end bell material itself is the same tough-as-nails stuff as in the later designs, and the hardware is basically the same, but with less doo-dads.  The can doesn't have the clearance cuts and the magnets are a bit softer than the best ones.  The can really only needed to be stripped and straightened a bit, but the bushing had been ground to clear whatever bracket/chassis it was installed in.  

I soldered-in a new bushing and did a solid coat of an eye-catching red from VHT that was air-dried and then oven-cured.  The end bell got stripped, the hardware cleaned and aligned...and the screws replaced, since the Mura ones use a different sized wrench and are too short for the spring posts anyway.  The bushing got refaced and trued and then everything was reassembled.  The magnets got a fresh zap in the old Rgeo Magblaster and read as really closely matched and up to snuff!  The arm that was in there was a tagged "20" and I don't know if that was the original arm, but I kicked things up a solid notch and went with a #26 wind that measures .082 ohms.  

I'm guessing that the motor was originally a little more modestly priced than the hot-shot top-shelf Mura stuff.  Now, it still looks mostly "unassuming", but will sing like Pavarotti when the trigger gets pulled!  Another type in the long list of Muras that were sold will live to run again...and hard!

IMG_1737_zpsqkiiqwuo.jpgIMG_1738_zpsschlk5ty.jpgIMG_1739_zpsomri1z9r.jpg

• slotbaker, Jencar17, Neckcheese and 6 others like this
John Havlicek

#2 slotbaker

slotbaker

Dan Gurney Fan

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 07:29 AM

That's a cool sleeper.

:heart:

• havlicek likes this

Steve King

#3 olescratch

olescratch

olescratch

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 09:25 AM

Another Mura saved by Mr. H, good job as usual!

• havlicek likes this
John Stewart

#4 Geary Carrier

Geary Carrier

all there...???

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 05:26 PM

Turn, Turn, Turn...Sweet

• havlicek likes this

Yes, to be sure, this is it...

#5 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 9,286 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 06:30 AM

Thanks guys.  It's nice to be able to bring new life to these old motors while adding a little of "my own thing" to them.  I have another of these on the bench right now, and I guess (?) it's of a slightly later vintage since it has the end bell and can with the clearance cuts.  It has a milder arm in it, a #29 that was unblanced.  I was able to save the com, but the arm was trash...so it will be a little more "Mura"...genetically speaking :)  I'm thinking a nice bright yellow on that one, so there's no doubt it isn't stock!

-john

John Havlicek

#6 Bill from NH

Bill from NH

Age scrubs away speed!

• 8,554 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 06:57 AM

Does this second Green can motor have a 6MM endbell bushing or does it use a small bushing like your red can motor above?  When we used the small bushing endbells, we cut off the bushing nub, used a 1/4" drill to enlarge the hole, & screwed a brass plate to the endbell's outside. We then soft-soldered  an unflanged 6MM bearing to the brass plate.

Bill Fernald

Some people burn rubber. I burn oil.  :roflmao: 

#7 havlicek

havlicek

OCD Rewinder

• Subscriber
  • 9,286 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 07:49 AM

Does this second Green can motor have a 6MM endbell bushing or does it use a small bushing like your red can motor above?  

Hi Bill,

Yes it does have a 6mm bushing.  I *think* that all the ones with the end bell that is undercut for chassis rail clearance come that way, although there are so many of these things around with some variance I can't be sure.

When we used the small bushing endbells, we cut off the bushing nub, used a 1/4" drill to enlarge the hole, & screwed a brass plate to the endbell's outside. We then soft-soldered  an unflanged 6MM bearing to the brass plate.

Hmmm...you mean like this?:

IMG_1725_zpsrvbksqde.jpg

;)

-john

• Jencar17, olescratch and Geary Carrier like this
John Havlicek

Electric Dreams Online Shop