• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 JimF

JimF

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 02:24 PM

I finally got time to spend doing a more complete motor test in the quest to replace the Mini Brute in our F-1 and Stock Car classes. This test was done @ Motown Raceway in Modesto on 9-24-2016. Although I was testing a lot of stuff, I spent most of the day and part of the night at this and did well over 600 laps on two tracks, just on the motor tests.

This was a busy day @ Motown with a major drag meet going on. While the Hillclimb was vacant most of the day.......

DSC02581.JPG

I couldn't get at the Korkscrew until the evening.

DSC02577.JPG

Given the difficulties that we have with Stock cars on the hillclimb, I elected to do all the motor tests in F-1 cars.

• Top: 7 rail on an R-Geo Shark @ 104 gr. for the Hillclimb
  • Bottom: Newest V2.0 R-Geo Toronto @ 118 gr for the Korkscrew.

DSC02601.JPG

Here are the contenders L-R

The H&R motors were new (last week) All four were broken in 20 sec in water, then 40 min @ 3 volts. The others were motors I've had.

• H&R lightning2 (rated at 40K rpm)
  • New H&R Crusher (rated @ 50K rpm)
  • Slick 7 Mini Brute (one a random pick, one....my best)
  • Retro Hawk random (mid pack) from the box.

DSC02605.JPG

The target was to approximate the Mini Brute performance and driveability. Here are the results............

DSC02600.JPG

Just noticed an error on the results sheet. The last line, (Retest on the RH) reads 8-30 but was really retested @ 7-30

Test results synopsis.........

• The L2s in this test were a very good match to my average Mini Brute.
  • Neither of these L2s were a match for my best Mini Brute.
  • However, I have gotten a couple of L2s that were about as fast as my best MB.
  • The Crusher is reaaly fast and runs hot. Can be tamed somewhat with gearing.
  • The RHawk is even faster but can be tamed to approximate the fastest Mini Brute that I have.

Conclusions............

• First......we obviously have to move on with another motor choice.
  • The L2 seems about as random as the MB was. Some average ones, a few dogs, a few rockets.
  • The random rockets are as good or a touch better than my best MB.
  • The average L2s seem about like the average MB.
  • The RH has to be shackled with gearing restrictions but can be slowed to just faster than the best MB.
  • The Crusher can be slowed down too but we already have a faster motor (RH) that we can do this with so no reason for this motor.

So.............

#1 We take a motor (L2) that is as random or more so than the Mini Brute. We take off the current gearing restriction and we live with the fact that the best of them may make our remaining Mini Brutes obsolete. (but maybe not)

-OR-

#2 We adopt a faster motor with a gearing restriction. This will be reasonably driveable but will for sure make the Mini Brutes that we have obsolete.

For now.....I'm removing the pinion restrictions on the Lightning 2.

• Gator Bob, Tim Wilkins and C. J. Bupgoo like this
Jim Fowler

#2 Tim Wilkins

Tim Wilkins

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 04:41 PM

Thanks Jim for testing the Crusher motor.  I was curious about that motor.

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

#3 JimF

JimF

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 09:34 PM

The Crusher is fairly new. It shares the same very short arm stack and neutral timing as the Lightning2 but obviously, must have a hotter wind. When geared with a 9t pinion, it ran scary hot. Not so much so with the 8t and 7t.

I'm not sure that I understand the short stack thing on a motor like either of the H & R ones. Seems like the longer stacks on the RH and others are more useful. IAC, if we had to run the Crusher, we could set a 7t pinion restriction and not overwhelm the Mini Brutes by too much. However, since we already have the Retro Hawk that can be similarly treated, there's no reason that I can see to adopt the Crusher.

Jim Fowler

#4 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,391 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 08:34 PM

Got linked here...

Amazing work Jim.

How many hours at the track to complete the results showing? 

Posted Image
                            Bob Israelite

#5 JimF

JimF

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 11:55 PM

Hey Bob

Funny you should ask that. It took many hours but I have a very fortunate situation at this raceway. The owner lets me camp out (uhhhh......camp in actually) at the track overnight. After closing, I have the place to myself overnight and can test until my trigger finger bleeds. I don't do this very often but it is very productive. No distractions or rental cars zipping around and I can focus on what needs done. This particular test was done over one long night and by morning I was testing something else.

• Richard Matthews and Gator Bob like this
Jim Fowler

#6 Richard Matthews

Richard Matthews

Mid-Pack Racer

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 01:39 AM

Thanks Gene and Jenn.

• JimF likes this

#7 boxerdog

boxerdog

Race Leader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 09:05 AM

Then he gets up and terrorizes the locals all day.

• JimF, Richard Matthews and Gator Bob like this
David Cummerow

#8 Gator Bob

Gator Bob

Grand Champion Poster

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,391 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 11:32 AM

It's like having your own track !

Some of the best work is done by the nocturnal.

I know you have it covered, Jim ... but... how about a LASER temp gauge to put a number to cool/hot for repeatability.

jus sayin'

• JimF likes this
Posted Image
                            Bob Israelite

#9 Dennis David

Dennis David

Posting Leader

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 12:48 PM

Sorry for the dumb question but I thought that the issue with the MB was solved with the new manufacturer? JK?

Dennis David

#10 JimF

JimF

Posting Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 11:36 PM

It's like having your own track !

Some of the best work is done by the nocturnal.

I know you have it covered, Jim ... but... how about a LASER temp gauge to put a number to cool/hot for repeatability.

jus sayin'

I use one all the time in working on ski boots and have thought about it many a time.....even have one I could use.......just haven't done it. FWIW.......I tested 22 motors last night, got all squared away with race cars all dialed etc.........then at the last minute a local guy wanted to race so I just plucked my race cars out of the tech impound and handed them to him. Then.....proceeded to thrash something together for myself at the last minute. Prob'ly not the best idea I've ever had.

Sorry for the dumb question but I thought that the issue with the MB was solved with the new manufacturer? JK?

The issue has been solved. I think Bob was mostly just commenting on the time required for such testing. It is pretty extensive.

• boxerdog likes this
Jim Fowler

Electric Dreams Online Shop